12V tappet VS CR tappet!!!!!!!!

REEDSTR

SHADE TREE TECH
well Im pricing out new tappets because of the changes Im going to, but when I bought the old 12V tappets they were 10 bucks now they want a ass hurting 20 bucks each out of them now a CR tappet runs about the 10 buck range and Im wondering if its possable to use the CR tappets, and have some extra cash for a box of rubbers and a cheap prostitute..........:woohoo::cheer:

It Was Said To Me By Word Of Mouth That The The Cr Tappets Are Larger And They Would Get In The Way Of Fuel Pump Lobe On The Cam

24v tappets will fit just fine they are 1.300
cr tappets are 1.500 and will rub on the casting when on the base circle, you can just clearance the side of the pump lobe and not have any problem.

24v tappets 1998-2002 are much lighter than the cr tappets and have all of the surface area you would need plus they are only 15-20 grams heavier than the 12v tappets. They are my favorites for the 12v. And the cr tappets will work but I would suggest heavier springs than the 60lbers with them if you are going beyond 4k.

Zach

24v tappets 1998-2002 are much lighter than the cr tappets and have all of the surface area you would need plus they are only 15-20 grams heavier than the 12v tappets. They are my favorites for the 12v. And the cr tappets will work but I would suggest heavier springs than the 60lbers with them if you are going beyond 4k.

Zach
I couldn't have said it better. I run Zachs valve springs, retainers, locks and pushtubes with 24v tappets and it works great! Thanks for a great product!!

24v tappets will fit just fine they are 1.300
cr tappets are 1.500 and will rub on the casting when on the base circle, you can just clearance the side of the pump lobe and not have any problem.

They wont rub, I am running cr lifters along with many others and they do no rub

they will rub, at least on a ground cam with material removed from the base circle. however it is just slightly and it is the casting at the radius on the fuel pump lobe. it just takes a little clearencing.

easy way to check is turn the engine over with the fuel pump removed, when tappet is on base circle you can see if the tappet is touching the lobe. some dont but some do so saying they will all clear is incorrect.

The funny part is that unless you pull the engine apart you will never see it. When looking at different cores from different manufacturers, a lot of them rub with CR tappets in 12v applications. It is usually minimal but If your gear is not pressed on all the way or you have a worn thrust section on your cam retainer it could be catastrophic.

Most people install it and go and the parts self clearance themselves after several miles as the cam moves forwards and backwards. I have personally seen the fuel pump lobe spinning the tappets and keeping them off of the basecircle.

Roll the dice if you want. I see little if any benefit for a cr tappet in a 12v over a 24v tappet. In later model blocks the tappet holes were shifted slightly. They clear the fuel pump lobe better.

Zach

zach is every thingsafe with cr tappets in a 12v with your big stick cam i know there is no fuel pump lobe on it?

Our Bigstick core has a fuel pump lobe on it and has about as much clearance as all the others with pump lobes. 24v fit with no issues, If you want to run CR tappets, just clearance the pump lobe with a grinder if you are confident in your hand cam grinding skills.

Zach

yes they will, but if you don't mind the added cost for one off pushrods you can get them with the larger ball end. Definitely not a dumbass question. As far as depth the tappets are about the same.

Zach

Back