Any T6 VGT?

joefarmer

MR. Supreme Overlord
I've found a few T4 or T4i VGT turbos in the 70mm inducer range. Were there any VGT-style turbos produced with a T6 foot? Anything in the aftermarket?

Largest I know of are the holset he551/he561. I was told when I looked that holset has not made a t6 VGT. Cant say I know a firm answer on garrett, but I doubt.

GTA45 stuff from the Detroits are T6 foot. The GTA4508 is not an 80mm. The 4502 is a hair under 70mm inducer and the 4508 is close to 71mm inducer size IIRC. The specifics escape me but they are very similar in size. The 4502 was found on the 12.7 EPA engine and the 4508 commonly found on the 14L emissions detroit engines. The S410/S430V stuff from MACKs craptastic engine is close to a T6 with 1 bolt hole offset. The D16 HE561 holsets are a T6 foot IIRC.

There are some out there. None of which I would consider for a project. They are very proprietary.

I think blaylock made some abortion of a T6 housing for the CAT guys.

Last edited:
Proprietary for the actuator doesn't bother me. The lack of standard flange AKA the T4i flange does. I made one adapter for the T4i for a HE551V and don't care to make another in this lifetime.

Is anyone able to drop a 80mm wheel in a HE561VE? I found mention of import 80 and 95mm aftermarket inducers.

I've never found the difference in a 551 and 561. I think the turbine, but I've never found a 561 in good enough shape to measure yet.

If you can figure out a way to control them, I think it would be amazing based on how my jerry rigged air cylinder controlled HE551v worked on the old 12v.

Brandon, I do have 2 HE451VE's here if you need to mess around...
Chris

Proprietary for the actuator doesn't bother me. The lack of standard flange AKA the T4i flange does. I made one adapter for the T4i for a HE551V and don't care to make another in this lifetime.

Can you not oval out the 4 mounting holes and make it essentially a standard t4 flange with the vgt? That's what i've always done.

HE561VE tend to have an 11mm shaft common to the HX60, HX80, HX82 and HE600 turbochargers and a titanium compressor wheel. 75mm is the largest that the HE551 and 561 get to my knowledge. We can stuff an 80mm in them no problem. We can get many other sizes as well.

The 451ve units share the shaft size with an HX30, HX35, HX40, etc. Similar bearing pack. Longer shaft though. They usually have a 67mm exducer on the turbine side. The inducers are generally 66 and 67mm on the ISX15 engines but most of the industrial stuff and ISLs use a 60mm compressor wheel.

How much would you want for one?

$500 and shipping.

Chris

HE561VE tend to have an 11mm shaft common to the HX60, HX80, HX82 and HE600 turbochargers and a titanium compressor wheel. 75mm is the largest that the HE551 and 561 get to my knowledge. We can stuff an 80mm in them no problem. We can get many other sizes as well.

The 451ve units share the shaft size with an HX30, HX35, HX40, etc. Similar bearing pack. Longer shaft though. They usually have a 67mm exducer on the turbine side. The inducers are generally 66 and 67mm on the ISX15 engines but most of the industrial stuff and ISLs use a 60mm compressor wheel.

AWESOME. Good info.

Chris

I may be imagining this, but didn’t I read somewhere that someone put a he451 on a 6.7l and it was plug and play electronics?

Should work on the J1939 side of things.
I'm curious how the feedback loop would work.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I think if you swapped actuators it would work, but there might be different bolt patterns of actuator. Never had a 6.7L charger in my hands.

Chris

Different actuator bolt pattern I believe. The 6.7 actuator is about 2/3 the size of the HE400/HE500 style actuators.

Would the 80mm surge badly with the HE651 turbine or can you fake it by supplementing shaft speed keeping the actuator closed until it was on the right side of the surge line?

651 turbine? IIRC the biggest holset VGT turbine you can get is the 86x80 turbine, which would be a tad small imo for an 80mil inducer, but i see no reason your program cant keep it happy at all times. believe the 551/561 can range from like 11cm to 32cm

I'm sure he meant 561

FWIW Brandon, with the 71/108 wheel I ran, I could make it surge occasionally if I really worked it. With electronic controls, I would think you can manage the housing size better and keep the surge to a minimum.

Chris

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with the 80mm compressor wheel personally. Need some good proof of concept first.

Back