small issue with my new SBC 3600 12 cb

Ken in AZ

ill-tempered
Just got everything buttoned up tonight and went to start it up....started just fine but had a terrible metal on metal clanking noise so I shut it down immediately. I could also feel pulses in the clutch pedal that corrosponded with the noise.

I thought...Oh crap! what I do wrong?....then I went over everything in my head and I did everything correctly. I removed the washer from the fork pivot ball. Torqued everything to spec and used locktight accordingly. installed the started spacer. installed the disks correctly. btw, this isn't my first clutch job.

So I figure I'll start it up and then let the clutch out and see if the noise goes away, and sure enough it did. Press the clutch in and everything works as it should, but then if I push the clutch all the way to the floor that is when the noise starts again. If I don't push it to the floor I can shift and drive the truck normally with no noise. the threshhold seems to be exact the distance the floormat makes between the floor and the back of the pedal.

What it sounds and feels like is that the fork is hitting the pressure plate housing because the slave is pushing it out too far

Was I supposed to adjust the rod length on the pedal also, or is this why you need the hydraulics upgrade?

Thanks
Ken

is it a clanking noise or a rubbing noise? if you are hearing a rubbing noise then it is normal for a dual disc.

I had a similar feeling one time when I pushed my 3850DD ALL the way to the floor. I believe it is the fork hitting the pressure plate as you suggested....... adjusted the clutch pedal on the pushrod and it went away. You will definately need the upgraded hydrolics cuz my stock stuff didn't last long at all. Internal seal blew within 50~ miles of driving.

Joe

RedPuller said:
I had a similar feeling one time when I pushed my 3850DD ALL the way to the floor. I believe it is the fork hitting the pressure plate as you suggested....... adjusted the clutch pedal on the pushrod and it went away. You will definately need the upgraded hydrolics cuz my stock stuff didn't last long at all. Internal seal blew within 50~ miles of driving.

Joe

ok, that is whay I was thinking....will adjust it today.

I have the 3600, and to be honest it doesn't feel that much stiffer than my previous clutch. If I had to guess it actually feels a little softer. But I will heed your advise and keep that coin in my bank for the day it does blow out.

Thanks guys,

Ken

unless i'm an idiot....there is no adjustment on the clutch rod undr the dash...mine is just a solid rod with a solid connection...no adjustment....could I just put a washer under the slave cylinder to pull it away from the fork to limit the max travel?

My 3250 sprung hub DD was doing something similar. I called peter at southbend and he said if you want more engagement to take the washer off of the slave, where the two bolts bolt it up to the bellhousing. If you want less engagement to take the slave off and at the end of the rod there is a plastic ball, he said to remove it.

tony597fitter said:
My 3250 sprung hub DD was doing something similar. I called peter at southbend and he said if you want more engagement to take the washer off of the slave, where the two bolts bolt it up to the bellhousing. If you want less engagement to take the slave off and at the end of the rod there is a plastic ball, he said to remove it.

Thanks....sounds easy enough.

After driving it around for a bit, it seems that it drags...alot...so much so I cannot engage reverse

Can I just do a few good 3rd gear launches to wear it a bit?

Just spoke w/ peter and he said to just let it wear in and maybe beat on it a bit and it should stop dragging.

ps: yesterday I did a nice 2-3 second long 3rd gear launch, it built 15lbs of boost off the line before I started moving...and it sounded awesome

very happy customer here, time to update the sig

Wait till you try a 4th gear launch!! 2nd was to easy, 3rd was fun, 4th takes a bit of practice.

I Have The 4200 Dd It Is Make The Rubbing Noise Also When Pedal Is Pushed The Floor. Tried To Adjust The Rod And Did Not Help I Have Put Around 10,000 Miles On The Clutch With It Making The Noise And
It Is Still Working Fine. I

You can take the washer out from under the pivot ball. The arm strikes the pressure plate on the pivot side and not the slave side.

Back