Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 11:58 PM   #1
thelms

Name: thelms
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Best make and platform to build off of? Semi budget

Looking at getting another toy/ project after we close on the next house. I'm wanting something to drag/ street race and possibly a pull here and there. I've had several different makes and models in the past, a dozen 2nd gens, 3rd gens, and a few 6.0 psd. Never been a big dmax guy but I've had a couple. Just looking for feedback, I want something reasonably priced and a plethora of aftermarket support. Will more than likely end up with another 2nd or 3rd gen but just thought I'd post up and get some input. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:55 AM   #2
Begle1

Name: Begle1
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
You've had dozens of trucks? Why?

Based on your description, you gotta be the most qualified person in the world to answer this question. (Or you're the Chidi Anagonye of the diesel world and each truck you own actually makes you less qualified to answer this question...)

The obvious answer is to have a 24 valve 6.4 Cummins with a mechanical inline pump with dynamic timing, like the Bosch RP39.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Somebody's fishing

Old 10-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
thelms

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
You've had dozens of trucks? Why?

Based on your description, you gotta be the most qualified person in the world to answer this question. (Or you're the Chidi Anagonye of the diesel world and each truck you own actually makes you less qualified to answer this question...)

The obvious answer is to have a 24 valve 6.4 Cummins with a mechanical inline pump with dynamic timing, like the Bosch RP39.
Sorry fella didnt mean to hit a nerve.. I've always tinkered with them and got bored. Also far from the most qualified person but I appreciate your enthusiasm. I've been lurking here since 2012 and was just looking for personal experiences and opinions. What is your personal experience with a truck you've built and raced personally...?Would you do it again or go with a different model? If so why?

Last edited by thelms; 10-25-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
RD TRCTR

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelms View Post
Sorry fella didnt mean to hit a nerve.. I've always tinkered with them and got bored. Also far from the most qualified person but I appreciate your enthusiasm. I've been lurking here since 2012 and was just looking for personal experiences and opinions. What is your personal experience with a truck you've built and raced personally...?Would you do it again or go with a different model? If so why?
My opinion, don't do it.

Build a gasser if you're looking to have fun and go fast. A GT5533 on a 5.3 in an S-dime can get you into the low 10's for $20 to $30k.

I have been working on my 06 for far too long now, this year was suppose to be the year until the 'rona came, events were cancelled and my enthusiasm waned.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've left the truck damn near as built by Diamler Chrysler, enjoyed it for what it was and got my pilots license. Or used the money to buy more land. Or put it all into an IRA...

Old 10-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
Begle1

Name: Begle1
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post

If I had to do it all over again, I would've left the truck damn near as built by Diamler Chrysler, enjoyed it for what it was and got my pilots license. Or used the money to buy more land. Or put it all into an IRA...
So true. I never want to spend another dime on a vehicle. Nowadays I just want real estate.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
2006-2007 5.9 Cummins is my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 10-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
Vincejax

Name: Vincejax
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Looking at getting another toy/ project after we close on the next house. I'm wanting something to drag/ street race and possibly a pull here and there. I've had several different makes and models in the past, a dozen 2nd gens, 3rd gens, and a few 6.0 psd. Never been a big dmax guy but I've had a couple. Just looking for feedback, I want something reasonably priced and a plethora of aftermarket support. Will more than likely end up with another 2nd or 3rd gen but just thought I'd post up and get some input. Thanks.
When you say you want to drag race and pull, go ahead and get rid of the "budget" idea...Those two are polar opposites. Unless you just leave it pretty much stock and just race and pull for the sake of doing it and don't care about going fast or pulling far. Just my $0.02

Old 10-26-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
12valve95

Name: 12valve95
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincejax View Post
When you say you want to drag race and pull, go ahead and get rid of the "budget" idea...Those two are polar opposites. Unless you just leave it pretty much stock and just race and pull for the sake of doing it and don't care about going fast or pulling far. Just my $0.02
THIS^^^

I am getting parts together to build a motor for my C30...I am building to be over 500 but under 1000HP 12valve and my cart on PDD site has 10k in it

Now I am probably overbuilding but that does not include any machine work to the block or ANY of the c30 parts....or the wiring, or the fuel cell and parts, or the transmission...custom driveshaft....blah, blah ect, ect.

You cannot really build one of these things for a budget unless you hodgepodge and half ass and that still isn't what I would call cheap!

So to set out to build a race/pull truck....the only budget that exists is a blown one!!

My

'95 RCLB: in pieces...

1986 RC C30 Dually 12Valve...Coming soon

'17 HANDSHAKER : SOLD

Old 10-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT View Post
2006-2007 5.9 Cummins is my vote.
Good stuff ^^^^^^. It already has an 11.5 rear and 271 TC and 48re. These are the parts I bought for my 2nd gen.

Maybe build the truck around the 2.5" he351ve for pulling. The Firepunk crew have put crazzy numbers down on the dyno with them. It could still be an easy truck to use for a truck.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:32 PM   #11
thelms

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post
My opinion, don't do it.

Build a gasser if you're looking to have fun and go fast. A GT5533 on a 5.3 in an S-dime can get you into the low 10's for $20 to $30k.

I have been working on my 06 for far too long now, this year was suppose to be the year until the 'rona came, events were cancelled and my enthusiasm waned.

Back about 10 yrs ago I had played with a vp44 truck. Pushed it into the 500s and since have kept a 3/4 for pulling but havent done much to them. I've been putting into my IRA and the kids 529 for a couple yrs now, I want to play again.
And yes the s10s can be a riot. I actually had a 89 s10 with a 6.0 ls, 243s, btr cam, backed by a t56. Its was a blast until someone pulled out in front of me n totaled it. I'd post pics if I knew how ha.
Yes, the CRs are a very proven platform. Its crazy to see how far they have came in the past several years. The number with a drop in chargers are impressive (with the supporting mods)

Old 10-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
RD TRCTR

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Back about 10 yrs ago I had played with a vp44 truck. Pushed it into the 500s and since have kept a 3/4 for pulling but havent done much to them. I've been putting into my IRA and the kids 529 for a couple yrs now, I want to play again.
And yes the s10s can be a riot. I actually had a 89 s10 with a 6.0 ls, 243s, btr cam, backed by a t56. Its was a blast until someone pulled out in front of me n totaled it. I'd post pics if I knew how ha.
Yes, the CRs are a very proven platform. Its crazy to see how far they have came in the past several years. The number with a drop in chargers are impressive (with the supporting mods)
Wow, ok, didn't realize that you were the been there, done it all type of guy.

I recommend that you be cutting edge and go buy a brand new 2021 6.7 Cummins, and push it as far as possible with emissions intact. See how big of injectors and turbo you can go to while keeping everything in place while racing the wheels off of it. Do that, and you will conquer something new for yourself and the diesel industry.

Closed Thread