"wake up shunshine"

Smokey always said maximize rod length and bore iirc.
I forgot what ratio it was that John Lingenfelter called for. Something like 1.1:1 but a can't remember now how that was derived. It sparked the 383 craze imo

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I forgot what ratio it was that John Lingenfelter called for. Something like 1.1:1 but a can't remember now how that was derived. It sparked the 383 craze imo

Bore to stroke ratio? Square?

Last edited:
Thought I'd try to keep this going. I do have a point. lol

So lets say I figured out a way to get some pretty decent cubes out of an engine and all I can do for packaging sakes is increase the bore size.

I have been told by some pretty reliable folks that the 4.125 bore size has some magic to it when it comes to valve sizing along with available port volume, etc...

Thought I'd try to keep this going. I do have a point. lol

So lets say I figured out a way to get some pretty decent cubes out of an engine and all I can do for packaging sakes is increase the bore size.

I have been told by some pretty reliable folks that the 4.125 bore size has some magic to it when it comes to valve sizing along with available port volume, etc...

It's not a "one size fits all." First, what are you doing with the engine?

I would like to know more about the head spacers/inserts that I didn't find out about until last week. It's an idea I think was touched on during the duramax 2 piece head debate.
Improves port velocity, shrouding, I'm sure some other things.

Well first off I'm really trying to get some of these parts together I have already bought or been sponsored with. I don't like the thought of changing out the engine for the different facets of whatever competition you are in.

Because I want to do some street driving with the UCC engine, I'm looking to maximize the parts I have. With the trans/ engine/ rear I will be running in drag racing, I will need to build more high speed power than low speed power.

There are a lot smarter folks on here than me. I'd like to successfully turn a conventional L-six cylinder 7500-8000rpms all the while making good useable HP. I would like to somehow take a big chunk of that part killing Torque and move it to say somewhere around the 7500RPM spot. I can use it up there.

It seems easy in theory.

I would like to know more about the head spacers/inserts that I didn't find out about until last week. It's an idea I think was touched on during the duramax 2 piece head debate.
Improves port velocity, shrouding, I'm sure some other things.

I have not seen them. I know Dyno Don Nicholson was doing what sounds the same, with with Cleveland heads back in the day. Only way to meet the rules with any legality.

attachment.php

Awesome ain't it

I'll bite. What's the plan to make any power that far up in the rpm range? And why does it seem like a good idea, you will basically have a gas engine

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I'll bite. What's the plan to make any power that far up in the rpm range? And why does it seem like a good idea, you will basically have a gas engine

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Precisely... ...a gas engine from a few decades ago maybe.

Has anyone looked at what they are doing with the Indy 500 cars of today? These cars represent the very latest in technology that anyone is willing to show us. 'Read' and listen to what is happening in that ultimate challenge.

Seems like a cliché, but, Mr. Clessie Cummins Qualified number 1 at the Indianapolis 500 with a diesel engine. You all should really read that book. Who can tell me how the Bosch Injection company got started??

Anyhow, on to your answer. Do you know that Dan Schied, Someone else with B&J, and myself with Liberty Gears are all getting or have custom one off transmissions? It all boils down to accelerated mass or mass in motion.

I don't want to insult anyone but we as a diesel industry are gonna have to move out of the tractor engine world. A gas engine, a fuel that generates less btu's per unit of volume than diesel relies on those rpms...

That's great and all but what are you doing about the slow burn rate of Diesel? Not trying to be a dick but you aren't the first one trying to make high performance diesel. Look what Audi did for the Sebring 12 hr race. Lot's of money. You need to start exponentially spending money on your injection system, and lighten the hell out of everything. I don't see a L6 Cummins living at 8k rpms.

That's great and all but what are you doing about the slow burn rate of Diesel? Not trying to be a dick but you aren't the first one trying to make high performance diesel. Look what Audi did for the Sebring 12 hr race. Lot's of money. You need to start exponentially spending money on your injection system, and lighten the hell out of everything. I don't see a L6 Cummins living at 8k rpms.

I knew you were a smart fella. Now an L6 cummins diesel we are used to seeing living at 8Krpms at the dirt track(Stock Car Indurance)??? ...I'm with ya. Not going to happen. The L-6 in the Wifes 335D??? ...I'd bet the bank it would finish just fine over at the dirt track.

Folks are feeding mechanical engines to over 10,000 RPM's. The fueling part is pretty much solved. Reliability here is also an issue.

I know you read it, but, I would appreciate if you Tobin would really read it. To answer your question, check out post 14 once more.

VW 1.9 9500 rpm... - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

About the most extreme RPM example I have seen. Andy2 on here has some in car vids of his tach going to 9000rpm I believe. Both are mechanically injected.

I was looking for the link to the pump guy that does all the Mercedes A-pumps. Diesel Menken or something. A lot of those folks are 600+HP mechanical 3.0 liters running endurance type drifting. ...and cranking the crap out of them.

The A-pump is not very rpm friendly.Even a stock 10mm plunger still has a single helix.I've played with them in the past, 10 and 12mm custom (wimmers) .Eventually went P-series in the end on my VW.I'm currently running a P3000 at 1/4 crank speed with 13mm plungers and 2 lobes per plunger on the 1.9L.

High rpm TDI - YouTube

Depends on how many cc's and at what rpm that you plan on running the engine at.The A-pump can survive at lower rpm's.

Just wanted to bring this post over from the Ram50 build thread. I met Andy2 here on comp D. Just sayin...

And making light or discretization, whatever your goal, I have my vises and despises for any drug, alcohol included. They are mine personally in my personal life. Not to be shared for anyone's information. Just so happens my wife has a very hard earned Doctorate in Pharmacology. She is the best pharmacist I know, and yes I am a little biased. We made a go of the pharmacy business. I will not say we failed. Her first full year of business she grossed nearly a half mill in sales. Before we hit the deduct button, she had profited a whopping $22,000. I do agree we all have a drug problem. Guess what she could have earned legally outside her moral compass that year?? Most of the dang money coming from our pockets to boot!! We certainly have a drug problem.

So, ...I get a little disgruntled when someone pops off drugs around me. I think it is very unprofessional. Yea, I'm acting a little out of the norm. I hope some of ya read The book on Clessie. He was a little out of the norm in his time.

Back