06 ecm telling me to update checksums?

ecc_33

Amanda, Ohio
I just pulled a "stock" tune out of a 06 5.9 and its saying do not tune and flash the ecm becuase the check sums are not correct. Im guessing this is becuase its been tuned before and put back to "stock" from a tuner? The guy says he never had a tuner on it but thats not to say the person before him didn't have a tuner. So my question is do i have him go to dodge and get a stock reflash or what? Can i just disable check sums and then be able to tune his truck safely? Thanks, Eric

Safest thing to do is have the dealer re-flash. You can also pull a good stock tune off the file depot that matches his OS and change the vin and use that as a base.

Thanks Rob, I already told him i wouldn't touch it unless he had the dealer to a reflash. I searched efi live's forum and here for more info about this but couldn't find anything. I did read about the ecm's locking up do to the smarty but didn't know efi live had this as the disclaimer for the traces found in stock tunes. Im just glad i seen that before loading a tune in the truck!

I had the same issue and ran a smarty prior to EFIlive. I got the stock tune from file-depot and changed the VIN as the instructions said. I'm up and running with no issues. EFIlive is the bomb!

I haven't reinstated the stock files here on CompD yet, but they are available on the Tune File Depot, or you can do a dealer flash.

You'll also find a Cummins ECM notes document within our software installation. There is some really good information there on checksums, specifically for Cummins.

Click on your Windows Start button>Program Files>EFILive>V8>Documents and you'll find the document.

Cheers
Cindy

Back