Project fuel miser

fatgraderman

Last year you had a brief post on your FB about "project fuel miser". I was wondering if there were any updates? I was really curious how the raised compression was working out. I've read some banter on the subject but the only ones I'm aware of that run higher CR are some 2.6 pullers. Were the sleeves ductile iron and was that also to try and retain heat in cylinder? Did it require oversize head studs? Would a 6.7 crank (cr app) work better to raise compression? Thanks.

Changing the crank---adding stroke-- will force either different pistons or different rods.

Methamphetamines kind of derailed the project....... Got hit six times in 3 months. Lost a motorcycle, four wheeler, a friends race truck, lost my Edge juice out of project fuel-miser. I replaced it, then had a pry-bar put through my door and had the new one ripped out. Have had wiring issues since then and have been a little too disgusted with humanity and local law enforcement to press on at the moment.

The first engine we built was 21.5:1. FYI traditional sleeves will not work in this range ;)
. I suggest standard bore or extra thick ductile sleeves. The engine was VERY snappy down low and had a really nice crisp idle. One thing I did find is that with running more shallow bowls, you have to have a really good plan of attack with injector and piston shape to get the best results. We also put together a 19:1 12v with a first gen style bowl that was .050" shallower. Ended up having to shim the injector +.040" to get the best results. High compression in and of itself without a good strategy for injector, timing and duration of injection is almost pointless. Also, when making more shallow bowls, injector protrusion and spray angle are super important. I apologize for not having much data to report, but I will let you know when I do get everything up and running. FYI, we still have a few cast flat top piston blanks available for people wanting a low cost way to play with different piston shapes.

Last edited:
Wow. Had no idea you had to contend with such ridiculous circumstances. Thanks for the replies and hope I didn't hit a nerve. It's definitely a unique animal. Hopefully you are able to focus more on your projects and less on the "exterior" challenges.

Did you crack a bore? Standard size? I'm planning on a hi-CR engine, so this news is a bit disappointing.

I was thinking 5.9 sleeves in a 6.7 (idea being extra strength from the Siamese bore). Then either deck the block for a 5.9 crank or use the 6.7 crank at standard height. No idea what compression ratio that could reliably hold. And NO CLUE what bowl/ injector nozzle that combination would respond to. Lots of research ahead.

Back