killswitch for FASS to run smarty? ideas?

paroxysym

in order to load my smarty i need to disconnect the FASS from the battery. pulling the fuse isnt good enough it seems. i was wondering what your recommendations are for solving this problem. a buddy suggested installing a killswitch inside the cab so i dont have to get out and disconnect the FASS from the battery. do you recommend this? any other ideas?

thank you for your help.

I think it's because the later model third gen kits take the power directly from an ignition actuated fuse, and not a signal from the ECM like the 1008 kits do.

Therefore when downloading a smarty, and the ignition key is turned the FASS system continues to run, which draws power constantly.... if you run any downloader you know that shutting off power items is a must so that the download process has good power and is not interupted.

There is a new harness out for the late model FASS kits, it takes the relay signal off of the ECM and therefore only has the initial prime of the FASS and then it shuts off. We installed the new harness (we did not do the actual work, but facilitated the parts and design) on High Tech Rams truck. He is a Smarty Beta Tuning Fool and uploads tunes quite regularly.... he could tell you the difference between the WH-1004 harness and the actual WH-1002 harness that came with your FASS.

I'll forward this thread to him so we can get his take on the situation.

Even If power is pulled to the relay you still have power from the ecm telling the relay to open and close. If you want to do a kill switch This is what you do. Find the wire the plugs into the relay That opens and closes it with key on and key off. This can be done with a Simple test light. All you have to do is interupt that particlular wire with a Switch, any swtich will work because there is going to be no load(draw) on it. All it is doing is opening and closing the relay. Then what you will have is when you want to update Smarty all you will have to do is open your new switch and power will not go to the relay and contacts for the pump will not join and or open and close. I am an Electrician so this comes fairly easy for me but I understand If someone else could be confused. Feel free to ask any ?????? What do ya think Wally?:rockwoot:

Chris

Cool, that's how I would do it.....

BUT, did the wiring harness correct the issue of constant run or not? Like do you have a kill switch wired in or not?

Copy

i tried loading the smarty and the only way it loads is if i unplug the FASS. it throws a code an according to marco/bob waner its a communication error. the FASS def draws too much for it to load, pulling the fuse doesnt remedy the issue.

will the new harness help with loading or would i still have to install a kill switch. i know on a walbro pump if you pull the relay it allows the smarty to load. i just think getting in and out to download a new program is a pain. it def will be a pain in the ass on a dyno day- which i have coming up.

high tech ram, any way you could draw up a wiring diagram or something? i would help. lol.

i tried loading the smarty and the only way it loads is if i unplug the FASS. it throws a code an according to marco/bob waner its a communication error. the FASS def draws too much for it to load, pulling the fuse doesnt remedy the issue.

will the new harness help with loading or would i still have to install a kill switch. i know on a walbro pump if you pull the relay it allows the smarty to load. i just think getting in and out to download a new program is a pain. it def will be a pain in the ass on a dyno day- which i have coming up.

high tech ram, any way you could draw up a wiring diagram or something? i would help. lol.

pm SENT

If you need the wiring diagram I can get one up tonight, tell me what harness you have (if you know) and I will get you the before and after for the Kill switch.... After hashing it out with Hight Tech today the ECM still cycles the pump through out the download process.... It does not run steady but none the less cycles which can give you issues if your Voltage is NOT pristeen.

W

If you need the wiring diagram I can get one up tonight, tell me what harness you have (if you know) and I will get you the before and after for the Kill switch.... After hashing it out with Hight Tech today the ECM still cycles the pump through out the download process.... It does not run steady but none the less cycles which can give you issues if your Voltage is NOT pristeen.

W

pm sent, also inquiring about the upgraded harness..

just another question for you- have you had anyone else have this program? where the smarty and FASS wouldnt play together?

Did the switch not cure the issue?

It's really not a Smarty / Fass issue.... It should be a Downloader / Power Draw Issue.... The Fass system has no direct interaction with the ECM, and merely takes a command from it via the relay.

Did the switch not cure the issue?

It's really not a Smarty / Fass issue.... It should be a Downloader / Power Draw Issue.... The Fass system has no direct interaction with the ECM, and merely takes a command from it via the relay.

have yet to install the switch. havent had time... i understand its a draw issue. the FASS draws alot of power and trips the smarty pretty much. i know or im 95% sure everything is wired correctly, it runs:bang

my post was to see if anyone else has had this issue?

10-4, just thought it was failing after the switch was installed.

I can tell you from my customers experience that it does happen to others. It is not an everybody's issue, just some....

Good Luck let us know how the switch works out.

have yet to install the switch. havent had time... i understand its a draw issue. the FASS draws alot of power and trips the smarty pretty much. i know or im 95% sure everything is wired correctly, it runs:bang

my post was to see if anyone else has had this issue?

Just unplug the fass at the pump and it will not turn on. Then you will have sufficient power to do a smarty upload. Here is a stupid ? Have done a battery draw test. If your batteries are not in good shape then this will become a frequent problem with up loads

Back