Supercharger like whine

kole32

I just got my truck back together after I p pumped it's been running awesome, I drove it to my dads house the other day, and I had the hood off so I put an old cotton t shirt over the turbo so nothing got in it. ( I feel like an idiot now) anyway we left and when I got back I forgot to take the rag off, so anyway I was driving and noticed it was running weird, so I shut it off and saw the shirt pulled it out and I don't think it sucked much in, if any since I wasn't building any boost. It just ripped the shirt. So I pulled it out and drove it home and every thing was fine until I got tiny drive way and heard a supercharger like whine. I shut it down and I figured I trashed the bearing in the turbo. Well it's fine. I removed the turbo and the serpentine belt and started the truck and it still has the same noise. So it's definitely inside the engine. Any ideas ? It has a new oil pump, colt cam with retainer and a 215 pump maxed by Seth, injectors and a 66. Any help is highly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it an auto? Two things I can think of that make a supercharger like whine is a bad pump in a Trans or an alternator working real hard trying to pull up really bad batteries. Can you post a video of the noise?

I took the belt off so alternator is ruled out, and ya my buddy has a video I'll try and get him to send it to me

Yes it's an auto, pretty well built 47rh. And power steering is good. It is kind of hard to turn at an idle tho, my vacuum pump does leak, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the vacuum pump wanting to seize ?

I really doubt it's in the engine. I bet there are pieces on the front of your intercooler though.

EDIT: didn't realize you had a 1st gen. Do you have an intercooler?

Either way, I've heard of rags left in intakes making it through the whole engine before. Probably terrible for the valves, but I can't think of a whining noise that'd come from it.

Last edited:
I took the serpentine belt off and started it. So there's no pulleys spinning lol. I'm at a loss. The guy That did my machine work said last week he had a guy with the same problem and the idler gear walked off the oil pump. Not sure if that's a common issue or not ?

Yes I've got an intercooler from frozen boost, but I have the turbo off the truck and it whines when it's revved up in park, so there's no load on the engine. But it makes the noise in drive also.

I'll look under there tonight and see. But I think that would make more of a scrape ? Think of the dodge charger in fast and furious the blower that Comes out of the hood is exactly what the noise sounds like.

I'll pull the vacuum pump off after work. How much oil will it sling if I start it with that off ?

I figured lol, but hopefully that's the issue. I don't know what else would make a noise like that.

Lol that's good to hear. Anyone else think it could be something in the transmission ?

Also the converter is a triple disc from Phil at dpc.. Just thought I'd throw that out there

Vacuum pump and power steering pump are ruled out... On to the converter

Back