Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
0 Xero 0

Name: 0 Xero 0
Title: Turbolover
Member`s Gallery
Truck Advice - Thinking about going from a 2nd gen dodge to a 99-07 Ford

Hey, everyone,

This thread is about an internal debate I've been having about whether or not I should sell my current truck and get something a little bigger. I currently have a 1998 dodge 2500 with a 12V and an NV4500. I love this truck and it has been as reliable as they come save a couple issues caused by the knuclehead who owned it before me... It's an extended cab and is fine for my family at the moment. It's just my wife and I and our two dogs; however, I worry about it being too small down the road as our family grows (with a little one on the way). I use it for occasional towing and hauling things around, but I want something dependable enough to be a daily driver like mine has been.

I would like a crew cab and I have some experience with my brother's 99 7.3 F250. I like his truck ok, but think the 03-07 trucks may be better as far a creature comforts, but are they as durable? I question how tough the actual truck chassis are after the he 07 year; however, I'm not as concerned about creature comforts as I am about durability of the truck chassis (99-02 vs 03-07). I could probably get away with driving a gasser, but I'm not a big fan of the 5.4 engine and just love diesels in general. I am not opposed to a 6.0, but if went with an 03-07 truck I'd like swap a 12V or DT360 in it down the road for durability, fuel economy, and overall simplicity. I'm not too much of a brand loyalist, so I'm asking if any of you can give somewhat unbiased opinions as to what you would do in my shoes. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 09-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
In your shoes I would keep that 12v, buy mama a Tahoe, burban, Subaru. That quad cab fits a car seat well. It doesn't owe ya anything, and less swapping than the Ford to make it a reliable rig. Take my opinion with a grain of salt. No kids, bachelor here.. good luck with the little one!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
I'd stick with the good old 12v. It doesn't get much more unreliable than a 6.0 and once you have a kid, you will NOT have time or energy to do a swap.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 PM   #4
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Imo, the coil spring Fords are one of the best driving trucks out there. The 6.0 isn't terrible with the right parts but people have the price jacked up so high that it's hard to swallow. 5 or 6 years ago you couldn't give one away and now guys seem to think they're a 25k truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 09-30-2017, 02:42 AM   #5
0 Xero 0

Member`s Gallery
Like I said, I have no issues with a 6.0 or 7.3 except for fuel economy over a cummins or DT360. I much prefer the front ends on the fords over dodges and they have great interiors (moreso the 03-07s) and you can get a full crew cab. The 4R100 and 5R110s are great autos and the ZF6 is a great hand shaker. Do you think the 03-07 truck is more durable than my current truck?

Old 09-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #6
dummins

Name: dummins
Title: Another moron
Member`s Gallery
I’ve had one 7.3 with an auto that ate transmissions, and 3 6.0 fords that all had a cab raising party. And one 6.4 that grenaded. IMO I wouldn’t buy another one. So much work and they still had no real power and got crap mileage. I’d keep the 12v and buy a half ton crew cab to daily.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
smknram

Name: smknram
Title: "ADICTED"
Member`s Gallery
I was exactly in your shoes. I had a 98 12v extended cab which i absolutely loved but to have a car seat in the back of one completely sucks. Car seats now days are huge. If you were just doing the car seat once in while it could be manageable, but i was doing it every day. I sold the dodge and bought a 2002 super duty 7.3 I ran it from 115k to 220k and did next to nothing to the truck. It had minimal mods and it was a turd, but overall it was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned and plenty of room. Once you get used to crew cabs you'll never want to go back to extended cab.

I'd also give the early duramaxs a look. I know they've had their issues too but they are finally getting decently priced, at least in my area. They are great riding and handling trucks, with plenty of room.

2012 Mega Cab 6.7

Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #8
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Similarl situation, except we just had baby #2! There is no way I'm getting both seats into the truck, and doing one seat was ok for every once in a while, but not for regular use. I daily an '02 minivan I got from a relative for dirt cheap. Would love to have a full crew cab truck, just not in the budget for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 09-30-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Member`s Gallery
I really like how the 05 and up fords ride.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
0 Xero 0

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smknram View Post
I was exactly in your shoes. I had a 98 12v extended cab which i absolutely loved but to have a car seat in the back of one completely sucks. Car seats now days are huge. If you were just doing the car seat once in while it could be manageable, but i was doing it every day. I sold the dodge and bought a 2002 super duty 7.3 I ran it from 115k to 220k and did next to nothing to the truck. It had minimal mods and it was a turd, but overall it was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned and plenty of room. Once you get used to crew cabs you'll never want to go back to extended cab.

I'd also give the early duramaxs a look. I know they've had their issues too but they are finally getting decently priced, at least in my area. They are great riding and handling trucks, with plenty of room.

What do you drive now and how come you got rid of the super duty? Was it fit that OBS in your avatar? Rest assured, I'm not selling my second gen right away, I just like to plan ahead. I'll definitely give my truck a shot with a car seat in it. If I still have the truck when a second comes along, I'll have to make a change.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Ive had my ass in the seat of a 2nd gen 4×4 for about 15yrs, you don't appreciate how bad they drive until you get into something else. I had a 2004 ford as a work truck for a short time and it drove like a Lincoln, the 6.0 had never ending problems.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
smknram

Name: smknram
Title: "ADICTED"
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 Xero 0 View Post
What do you drive now and how come you got rid of the super duty? Was it fit that OBS in your avatar? Rest assured, I'm not selling my second gen right away, I just like to plan ahead. I'll definitely give my truck a shot with a car seat in it. If I still have the truck when a second comes along, I'll have to make a change.

I have been daily driving a 2012 Chevy 2500 gasser that is my work truck, for about 3 years now. I had been wanting to build an OBS fummins for years but it wasnt really practical for me to build what i wanted as a daily driver/work truck. After i got the Chevy, i sold the super duty and started on the fummins. My wife drives the 2011 f-150 super crew ecoboost, which is very roomy also. I'm spoiled with crew cabs now after having children.

2012 Mega Cab 6.7

Old 09-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #13
0 Xero 0

Member`s Gallery
I appreciate everyone's input! It seems like the way to go given I don't have to daily it would be to keep my truck until we outgrow it. I would rather be ahead of curve when that happens though, so maybe an 05-07 is in my future. I realize ambitious projects like an engine swap may be difficult after having kids, but since I wouldn't have to daily it, it may be doable... If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas!

Closed Thread