07 lmm cracked extension housing

simpson1922

Has anyone had any luck tig welding a crack in and Allison extension housing or does it have to be replaced. If it needs replaced does anyone know of a place in northern or central indiana area I could get one this weekend. Mine is leaking bad and I have an appointment to have it tuned at danville performance on Wednesday that I don't want to cancel because they are booked six weeks out for tuning.

Has anyone had any luck tig welding a crack in and Allison extension housing or does it have to be replaced. If it needs replaced does anyone know of a place in northern or central indiana area I could get one this weekend. Mine is leaking bad and I have an appointment to have it tuned at danville performance on Wednesday that I don't want to cancel because they are booked six weeks out for tuning.

If it cracked, you have another problem somewhere, probably in your driveline. The biggest issue I see with welding it is the way they crack they tend bend a little bit. We do quite a bit of aluminum welding and repairs and I just replaced mine, I figured it would be more hassle than it was worth to try and make sure everything was true and straight after welding.

On Another note, the trans should be removed to replace the tail housing. Replacing it in the truck is asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Back