Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Mumau Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #21
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I don't usually get sentimental, or even think about buying these older trucks.
This one is not special because it's the first Dodge I ever worked on, nor does it belong to a family member. I was here long before Dodges had a Cummins in them.
This truck belonged to a customer/neighbor/friend whom I've known since he walked in our door 24 years ago looking for information about his new truck.
He had recently retired from the mines and purchased this Dodge to tour America. Like Johnny Cash, this trucks been everywhere. He and his wife's first goal was Alaska.
I set him up with a box of consumables like filters, oil and fuel additives, an extra belt and tensioner, and misc other stuff. I also gave him a directory of Cummins dealers so he could find service anywhere he'd go. This was the early days of the internet, so it's not like he could take a google machine and tomtom along. We installed a set of ride rite air bags on the rear, and spend a couple minutes with the injection pump.
Long story short, we cared for his truck while he enjoyed his retired life.
He is 90 now and in poor heath. Old buddy rarely leaves his house anymore. He called me the other day and asked if I could come to the farm to pick up the Dodge. He no longer had a use for it and wanted to make sure it was still decent as it had sat in the barn for a couple years .
We sat at his kitchen table and had a long conversation. Nothing specific, just taking about his travels, his life my life, and all the other stuff men talk about. He's a Godly man. Not the type that beats you over the head with it, the type that walks it. I'm not going to get deep here. I'll just say he's nearing the end of a life well lived.
He handed the title over to me, and said that he'd like to get enough out of the truck to facilitate his final arrangements on the hill behind the church. His thinking was the truck served it's purpose and it may as well finish the job. The plan was for me to clean it up a little, and sell it for him.
I sold it for him on the spot.

Last edited by Snedge; 09-16-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 09-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #23
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
This one is not special because it's the first Dodge I ever worked on, nor does it belong to a family member. I was here long before Dodges had a Cummins in them.
This truck belonged to a customer/neighbor/friend whom I've known since he walked in our door 24 years ago looking for information about his new truck.
He had recently retired from the mines and purchased this Dodge to tour America. Like Johnny Cash, this trucks been everywhere. He and his wife's first goal was Alaska.
I set him up with a box of consumables like filters, oil and fuel additives, an extra belt and tensioner, and misc other stuff. I also gave him a directory of Cummins dealers so he could find service anywhere he'd go. This was the early days of the internet, so it's not like he could take a google machine and tomtom along. We installed a set of ride rite air bags on the rear, and spend a couple minutes with the injection pump.
He is 90 now and in poor heath. Old buddy rarely leaves his house anymore. He called me the other day and asked if I could come to the farm to pick up the Dodge. He no longer had a use for it and wanted to make sure it was still decent as it had sat in the barn for a couple years .
We sat at his kitchen table and had a long conversation. Nothing specific, just taking about his travels, his life my life, and all the other stuff men talk about. He's a Godly man. Not the type that beats you over the head with it, the type that walks it. I'm not going to get deep here. I'll just say he's nearing the end of a life well lived.
He handed the title over to me, and said that he'd like to get enough out of the truck to facilitate his final arrangements on the hill behind the church. His thinking was the truck served it's purpose and it may as well finish the job. The plan was for me to clean it up a little, and sell it for him.

I got tears in my eyes reading that.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #24
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
I got tears in my eyes reading that.
Sissy...

Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #25
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Sissy...
I know.....

Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #26
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
I know.....
It's okay.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #27
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

That is a great story, and you are an awesome fella for helping him out. Well done Jeff.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 09-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #28
TheBac

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Member`s Gallery
Jeff, I dont really even know you but can tell you are one heck of a "good egg". Wonderful story.

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

Old 09-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #29
Highfinance97

Name: Highfinance97
Title: Garofalo Enterprises
Member`s Gallery
Nice, Jeff!
Two-tone, too!

Old 09-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #30
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfinance97 View Post
Nice, Jeff!
Two-tone, too!

Right on. Green and Silver to the front !!!!

Old 09-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #31
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
That’s a great story Jeff. Will the ol’ truck outlast its second owner?

Time will tell.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 09-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #32
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
That’s a great story Jeff. Will the ol’ truck outlast its second owner?

Time will tell.
I can't imagine myself at 90, but the older I get, the older I want to get. lol

Old 09-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #33
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I can't imagine myself at 90, but the older I get, the older I want to get. lol

So you are saying no stretched tires and 1/2 lift kit for this one?
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 09-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #34
Bob Wagner

Name: Bob Wagner
Member`s Gallery
great story, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #35
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Damned allergies.

That's awesome, Jeff, and I'm real proud to call you a friend. As I get older I realize more and more just how much the old folks in our lives sacrificed for us little kids back in the day. It's a great thing to serve them back when the times comes. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #36
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Damned allergies.

That's awesome, Jeff, and I'm real proud to call you a friend. As I get older I realize more and more just how much the old folks in our lives sacrificed for us little kids back in the day. It's a great thing to serve them back when the times comes. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
Thanks buddy.
I didn't even want this truck, but my gut said otherwise. I have no use for it.
I often miss the good old days of the diesel pickups when only old guys owned them, and asked all the right questions. It was a challenge in those days. Hot rodding them was experimental. We had no Diesel Power Magazine, no internet.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #37
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
I know from my own experience ye a helluva guy jeff..hope some day to shake yer hand...saw the post on fbook....I applaud you sir

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 09-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #38
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
How much?

Old 09-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #39
Snedge

Member`s Gallery