LB7 with LBZ heads ?????

06blackmax

I'm looking at another truck. Its an '03 LB7 CC 4X4 around 105K, not running right now unknown to me, guys wife said she didn't know why havent talked to husband yet. I have read some threads about this and it makes sense. Just wanting to clarify some issues. Mechanicaly it is a direct bolt on from what I've read(I think, correct me if I'm wrong). What I don't under stand is do you use the ecm fom the truck or from the donor engine? Or is it as simple as having it flashed with EFI and going ahead and installing a dsp switch? The truck may have injector issues now I dont know yet but in any case if it does this would be a long term remedy and make it as reliable as my '06 is now. I did use the search and found some of my answers but not all. Thanks in advance for the help.

electronics from the LBZ must be used. and the truck needs to be re-pinned in the elec center for the new ECM, ect. There's more but I haven't done it myself so I don't know all the requirements.

All considering might not be cheaper now but in the long run not having to do injectors every 4-5 years should it be a good solution?

If going to LBZ, you have to swap the trans as well as there is no way to hook a 5 speed TCM to a BOSCH ECM. Also the cluster and pedal must be changed inside. If you can find a donor truck it makes it alot easier as there are ALOT of parts you will need. It is possible to swap in an LLY top end and use the LB7 electronics with ALOT of EFILIVE tuning, or to do an LLY electrical swap and top end swap to the existing LB7 shortblock.

Got an 01 in the shop right now that we did an lbz/HTT 68 swap on using lb7 electronics ;) Best/easiest thing would be to swap over to an early Lly using the Lly ECM and lb7 tcm. Do an emergency relearn and away you go! I have a write up on DP and dd for the lbz swap if you want to go that route too. It's not hard, just time consuming. Like Rob stated, if you keep the lb7 short block and want to go to true lbz electronics, you need a 58 tooth reluctor wheel, not the lb7 57 tooth.

Last edited:
I did a 01 with lly top end with all the 01lb7 electronics, took 7 months of tunning to get it running decent but its finally headed in the right direction!

Maybe I need to reconsider this and just worry about it when and if it happens. And if i get the truck just put a lift pump system on with good filtration and hope for the best. Still don't know why it wont run, just guessing its injectors when I talk to the owner over x-mas holiday I'll know for sure.
Thanks for all the info and help.

george smolen

i'm doing an 01 to 08 , all 01 electronics , both enjectors are low impedance , should be able to work out any problems , both use hi volts & and amps to open and then drop down to batt volts , its all a matter of duration the ecm should take care of that , problely can tune. did you get yours running , tell me what you know ??? thanks george

Back