Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #21
crpower

Name: crpower
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I’ve been running MOOG for about 3 years and they are holding up nice, just have to make sure you keep them greased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #22
Chassisman

Name: Chassisman
Title: Gator Out...
Member`s Gallery
One thing I see people overlooking is.... long before you notice you need to replace your BJ's your tires have suffered tremendously and their lifespan is reduced whenever you have sloppy parts. One of the first things I noticed when I put good BJ's in was how much longer the front tires lasted before needing to rotate. Same thing for an axle truss. These axles flex as you drive the camber is constantly changing. Not so much with a truss and knuckle gussets. I put a truss on front, and rear axles... How much do 6 new tires cost!!!!the difference is real.

Last edited by Chassisman; 04-02-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #23
Howling

Name: Howling
Title: Soot Sniffer
Member`s Gallery
A little video on some of the more expensive ball joints

Best Ball Joints for Your HD RAM. Carli, Dynatrac, and EMF Compared. - YouTube

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2006 Dodge CTD/48re 4x4 Sport
With some fuel and air.
Bullseye,Hamilton,Exergy,EFI,ATS,FASS,HTS,Thuren, Toyo's...

1996 2500 RC 4x4 CTD-63/68/.83,5X.014,180 maxed Ppump,Fass...

Old 04-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #24
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
MOOG is straight junk for ball joints in a dodge!!! Less then a year here on a set. I put Mevotech's in this time. $50 a piece. Moog has a 31mm ball, OEM has a 33mm ball and the Mevotech has 35mm ball. They look way better then the moog out of the box.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 04-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #25
Chassisman

Name: Chassisman
Title: Gator Out...
Member`s Gallery
The part that wears out is the plastic cup that goes over the ball. The BJ's in the video, Carli, DynaTrac, and EMF, are all metal.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #26
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I know that guy in the video said he didn't like the XRFs, but they were pretty good in late 2nd gens.

Anyone ran them in a 3rd or 4th gen? The price seems right for a 1,000,000 mile warranty.
https://swperformanceparts.com/xrf-ball-joint-kit-set-2003-2013-ram-dodge-2500-3500-4x4-improved-design-new/
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #27
Burningtire

Name: Burningtire
Member`s Gallery
I had once ran a cheap knurled ball joint and when it came time to switch to a carli ball joint that isn't knurled the ball joint literally basically slid in. Called carli and this is what they recommended. Been fine for a few years now. Knock on wood lolClick the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 04-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #28
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningtire View Post
I had once ran a cheap knurled ball joint and when it came time to switch to a carli ball joint that isn't knurled the ball joint literally basically slid in. Called carli and this is what they recommended. Been fine for a few years now. Knock on wood lolClick the image to open in full size.
Just, they recommend 'raising the base material' with a center punch a bunch and people have had really good results.

This is their sudo sponsored video. Also, that guy just slides the hub off. That's bull ****. I've used a chisel on mine to get them off, but just recently found a trick where you put a socket behind the axle shaft and have someone turn the wheel using the power steering and it pops them out. I'm going to try that next time.

Last edited by CorneliusRox; 04-05-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
I agree on Moogs being junk, though that’s what I’m running in both Dodge trucks. My a-arm bores are so wore out on my 12v, I had to weld the ball joint to the a-arm so it wouldn’t back out. Been working for 3 years.
My 3rd gen won’t see moogs after this set wears out.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 04-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #30
Burningtire

Name: Burningtire
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Just, they recommend 'raising the base material' with a center punch a bunch and people have had really good results.

This is their sudo sponsored video. Also, that guy just slides the hub off. That's bull ****. I've used a chisel on mine to get them off, but just recently found a trick where you put a socket behind the axle shaft and have someone turn the wheel using the power steering and it pops them out. I'm going to try that next time.
Carli Ball Joint Installation Tutorial by CJC Off Road - YouTube
I normally loosen the 4 hub bolts, leave a socket on the head of the bolts with a extension against anything solid and have someone turn the wheel. Works awesome. I discovered the trick after spending half a day trying to get one side off. After that I anti seize the **** out of it and it normally comes off with a flat head and a whack of a hammer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 04-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #31
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningtire View Post
I normally loosen the 4 hub bolts, leave a socket on the head of the bolts with a extension against anything solid and have someone turn the wheel. Works awesome. I discovered the trick after spending half a day trying to get one side off. After that I anti seize the **** out of it and it normally comes off with a flat head and a whack of a hammer.
That's good to know. I put mine back on with some corrosion after doing u-joints. I cleaned the mating surface and used the four bolts to 'press' it back on. I remember being pretty frustrated and it taking hours to figure out a way to get it off!

Old 04-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #32
ikeG

Name: ikeG
Title: Oughta Know Better
Member`s Gallery
Snap on makes a special tool that has the 18mm socket end but it's super long and solid, no ratchet hole. It reaches the entire way to the inner knuckle right next to the axle tube hole. Presses the hub out just by turning the wheel few inches

Old 08-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #33
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
I finally tossed some XRF's in my truck. The OEM ones were pretty bad at ~185k and one came apart while I was pressing it out.

The new uppers are non-knurled and went it really smooth. The lowers that are knurled we a PITA to install. I thought I was going to break the press... but I did't. I torqued them and didn't grease as per instructions, but I did put some grease under the boot lip just with my finger.

So far they feel perfect, but I'm pretty sure even terrible ball joints feel perfect at first.

I live on a dirt road and have a really rough drive into work every day, so I will report back if anything bad happens. I still need to do an alignment on them, just ran out of time this weekend. It shifted my wheel slightly, so I'm thinking the tow might be off a hair as well.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #34
spooled05

Name: spooled05
Member`s Gallery
I got a set of xrf lowers that have outlasted one set of carli uppers and I’m starting to get play in one of the second set of carli , it was like pulling teeth to get them to warrant the first set so I’m not to sure they’ll do the second set . I’m going EMF next .

Old 08-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #35
Marq92

Name: Marq92
Member`s Gallery
EMF is the go to. I got OEM dana spicers for my dad 01 dually I need to install, but I'm going EMF on mine. Unlike Carli, with EMF you don't have to pull to rebuild and they sell the parts to do it yourself.
2001.0 QCLB 3500 4x4 3.55 Toyo M-55 255/85R16 Brown's/Goerend 48RE sonnax shafts/maxed count Alto clutches Carli/Deaver 3.0 EMF BJ's PSC 6 bolt box Synergy steering TheRetroShop HID projector retrofit VLED's DC Power 180A alternator W-T ground mod ISSPRO EV2's

Old 08-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #36
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq92 View Post
EMF is the go to. I got OEM dana spicers for my dad 01 dually I need to install, but I'm going EMF on mine. Unlike Carli, with EMF you don't have to pull to rebuild and they sell the parts to do it yourself.
They been making bad azz ball joints for the offroad community for a good while now and there is no equal. Simple rebuilds, too.

Hope they are making them for 2nd gens now like I've been hearing.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #37
thinair

Name: thinair
Title: Not Enough time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
They been making bad azz ball joints for the offroad community for a good while now and there is no equal. Simple rebuilds, too.

Hope they are making them for 2nd gens now like I've been hearing.
They are in stock on EMF's website for pretty much all Ball Joint 60's now.

94 12v. NV4500 Valair twin disc, Seth stage 4, DDP 5x14, 024 dv. Fass 260. T4 ATS. 362sxe. 150 ii springs.

2012 3500 CCSB. Thuren 2.5 kings, DT Profab radius arms. Carli LT Airbags/Sway Bar

Old 08-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #38
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
Awesome, thanks!

Old 08-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #39
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq92 View Post
I agree with all of this, but honestly, I want maintenance free and doesn't break the bank. If I can get a ball joint that's slightly less stiff, but lasts >150k, I'm on board. And greasing doesn't really count as maintenance IMO. It takes two seconds.
I'd rather spend my money on fun parts for my fun truck, than balljoints for my daily driver.

Also, I've got about 700 miles on the XRF's now and they've broken in a little. I rechecked nut torque, it hasn't changed, but they're silky smooth now.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #40
Smoking S

Name: Smoking S
Member`s Gallery
I use oem aam, I think they can be had for 100 a side.

Closed Thread