Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 7.3 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

7.3 Powerstroke 99-03 Powerstroke Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #41
Bersaglieri

Name: Bersaglieri
Title: Ron Swanson's Brother
Member`s Gallery
Quick update...

Talk about looking at them wrong, I pulled the valve covers to see if I had an issue with the gasket/wiring under there. When I unplugged the inner valve cover plug the clip crumbled. After that I was unplugging injectors one at a time to isolate the miss and one of the plugs fell apart and got stuck in the female side of the injector. At that point I knew I was in trouble. Luckily the local Ford dealer stocked the gaskets and wiring harness, I paid more than I wanted but it got me out of a jam.

Once I was in there I checked compression on the cylinders, no use in putting money into the motor if it's all worn out, right? To my surprise it had between 400-440psi in all of the cylinders! From what I have read over 400 is pretty damn good for 322,000 miles.

That being said my miss seems to come and go. Sometimes under load. I checked just about everything I could check and found nothing, so I bought some Full Force 180cc single shots with 30% nozzles. Chris from Full Force thought those would be a perfect fit for our needs and claims it'll help mileage with a conservative driver. He also claims they can do 380rwhp on a stock turbo and 400rwhp on a ball bearing Garrett. I'm actually excited about these injectors because if they provide the power similar to my old tuned LB7 [thread in Dmax area] but without the injector failures, all while in a tough solid front axle SUV I will be a happy camper. And if not, it's on to 6BT land.

I opted for Gearhead tuning and new glow plugs. I have to pick 6 tunes from Gearhead. I don't really need heavy tow with the Excursion, and I never use whisper, so I am going to add some extra economy or daily tunes in their place. High idle isn't bad for winter, but I don't even use that much. Something like...

Tow ~ 300hp
Economy ~ 330hp
Daily ~ 350hp
Peppy Street ~365hp
Race ~ 380hp
?? ~ High idle maybe?

I also bought cups in case one was leaking, but I doubt it, no fuel in the coolant. My buddy says change them all while I'm in there, while another says, if it isn't broke don't fix it. I'm in the fence about doing cups.

That's about it for now. Wait, one more, I fixed the drivers barn door latch. The plastic cable ends crumbled and I replaced them with aluminum ones I found on ebay for a couple bucks. Pretty easy, just had to drill out the handle rivets and replace them with stainless 1/4-20 bolts and nylocks.
1994 - LT1 - 4L80e - Moser

Closed Thread