Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #461
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
Well, it was going to be plum crazy purple, but the wife didn't like the color. Then I wanted it to be bright yellow. The kids didn't like that, so we spent an hour at the paint place looking through colors and 75% of us agreed on the glow orange....

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #462
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Solid! I like that better personally.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #463
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Last coat of primer has been shot and just finished wet sanding it with 600 grit paper. Going to go out in a little bit and start cleaning the cab so I can start getting it painted this evening after I pick my son up from the votech bus.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 04-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #464
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
And we have color... 2 coats of glow orange

Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #465
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Here are some better pictures after the fog cleared some and the tape was removed

Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #466
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Tonight, I spent most of my time cleaning up the big mess I had created over the last couple of weeks and hauled off the trash cans to our dumpster. But I did get the old shock brackets cut off with the cutting torch and the new tabs welded onto the axle and the cage cross bar. It's going to be a ***** getting those shocks compressed to fit in there.

I'm planning on getting the floor of the cab and the outside part of the roll bar coated in POR 15 tomorrow and work on the passenger side door as well. Tomorrow is the last day of work, then I'm on vacation through the 13th.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #467
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Today, I washed and prepped the floor of the truck, the outside part of the roll bar and the axle part of the rear differential and got them coated in POR 15 and then a second coat on the outside pieces with Chassis black on the top of it. I also painted the remote reservoirs for the front shocks black and their holders, along with the last few pieces that needed coated like my seat mount and the radiator hold down brackets.

Worked some more on the passenger door and need to apply some more filler to get it finished out.

Also measured and marked the first piece of diamond plate aluminum for the bed. Will get it cut out somehow tomorrow.

The cab is ready to get things started on installing stuff in it at this point.

Funny thing about the sheet of diamond plate, it's 4' x 10' x 1/16". I called a couple of places in Tulsa looking for atleast a 4x8 sheet of it to make the floor of the truck. I called one place and said they would have to check to see if they had any. So I called another place that was just 2 blocks away from that place, they had a 4x10 piece for 130.00 About an hour later the other place called me back and said they had it, that it was 230.00 for a 4x10 sheet. Talk about a slight difference in price from two places within blocks from each other.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #468
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Today was spent running errands with just a little bit of time working on the truck. Tried putting one shock on by myself and that didn't work. Will have to get my son to help tomorrow evening. I worked on both doors, beat out the dent on the drivers side and started in with the filler on it. Passenger side is starting to look better, but still needs some work on it.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #469
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Spent most of the day working out in the shop when I wasn't watching all the fires around us. I will be really glad when we get some rain and puts all these fires out.

So today, while out there, I drilled the holes for the gauges in the dash. Then taped off the floor and touched up the dash where I drilled the holes and some spots I missed from when I painted the cab.

While I was waiting on that to dry, I worked on the doors, sanding them down and then added more filler to them. So I alternated between working on the doors and working on the truck.

Put the gauges in the dash, they still need to be wired. Installed the rear shocks (those were a pain to get compressed and the bolt inserted with the misalignment washers).

Installed the seat belts and the seat. As well as the floor pans for the truck.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #470
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Finished up with the filler on both of the doors today and applied the finish glaze to them. They look much better now. Managed to get both sides of the doors primed, the header to the bed, all 4 pieces of the inner fenders I made and the power wagon emblems. While I was at it, I primed my son's radiator support for his truck as well.

In between doing all of that, I cut out the first piece of flooring for the bed and have it partially installed. I need to put a few more fasteners in to firmly hold it in place. I put the rubber molding in place for the front cowl vent and cut the pieces of welting or whatever it's called, need to figure out how to install it with the split nails to hold it. I had some left over rubber molding for the vent, so I repurposed it to cover the cutouts around the roll bars.

Tomorrow I plan on wet sanding the doors and the other parts and get them painted orange.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #471
Nootch

Name: Nootch
Title: nosprkreqrd
Member`s Gallery
this project is starting to look less and less like a mud truck and more like a knobby tire cruiser.

Too clean to beat up!

Spark plugs are for those who can't handle the pressure

Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #472
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
It's one of the most photographed trucks that races in this part of the country. It's the only diesel which makes it unique and then it surprised people what the old fat pig can do. There are some guys that run total pieces of crap and you wonder how many parts they left in the pit after they went through it.

I just like trying to do things right and make a nice looking truck with weight kept in mind. That's why I went with 1/16th inch Aluminum diamond plate flooring for the bed. That was the lightest thing I could think of to put a floor in the bed with as I had to have one.

I just like building ****
The paint is single stage machinery paint.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #473
ENafziger

Name: ENafziger
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Looking great! Is there a tach available with a more "diesel" like range? It seems like it'd be a little hard to quickly see rpm on a 10k rpm gauge.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #474
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
There are tach's that have a smaller range, but they don't have shift lights either. My shift light will be mounted on the top of the dash where I can see it without looking down. I use my go pro to record the gauges during a race to help see what's going on during a run as a post analysis. I've also used the video's to determine I had a boost leak getting gradually worse over time.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #475
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Spent the day sanding and painting the doors and a few other odds and end while I was at it. My paint gun has been driving me nuts with the drips it was causing on what I'm painting. Think I have finally gotten that taken care of finally. I spent most of the day sanding out the drips that were on the doors and then putting two coats of epoxy on them and then two coats of orange on the top side tonight. After they dry and harden over night, I will flip them over and shoot a coat on the inside tomorrow morning.

Also started bending my brake lines to connect my master cylinder to the lower connections down on the frame to get the brakes working. Should get those finished up tomorrow.

Installed the molding around the front of the cab today, when I was in town picking up the brake lines, I picked up some small screws and used those to install the molding instead of those split nails.

I have the rear fenders primed and ready for the black once I wet sand them. The emblems are primed as well and ready for paint too.

Once I get the doors done and on the truck then I can get started on the rear bed sides. Hoping they won't take a long time, but the way everything else has gone, I'm not betting on it. I have to pick up another gallon of epoxy tomorrow, I've almost used the gallon I had.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #476
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Started the day off with painting the inside of the doors and the opposite side of the flat panels I had been painting too. Once they dried, I put them on the truck, had to chase down some new screws for the door handles and then tap the holes to clean them out. Passenger side door shuts good. The driver side still needs some more work. It will shut and latch most of the time, but it's still not 100%.

Started working on both of the bed sides, worked out some of the high spots and started in with filler on the outside portion to give it an overall smooth over. The drivers side is looking good and doesn't need much more work. The passenger side I just started on it, so it will be most of tomorrow working on it to get it finished. Hoping to shoot primer on them tomorrow evening.

Also today, I finished up the brake lines, and put together my air intake. I think it will work out good and also started working on the water lines to the back of the truck.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #477
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Spent the whole day just sanding on the bed sides. Finally finished both of them and was able to get the back sides primed tonight. Picked up some steel balls where my dad works rebuilding oil pumps and grabbed 4 old ones while visiting him and welded them on the ends of the rolled tops of the bed sides so that they don't fill up with mud.

Tomorrow I plan on getting the outside of the bedsides primed, wet sanded and in color. While waiting on each of those steps, I'm going to work on running the water lines and start working on the front frill section for body work. It won't take a hole lot on it to get it ready. Then all I will like is the hood and the front fenders to do body work on.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #478
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Been a busy two days here at the shop. Where to start...

The bedsides have been painted and put on the truck.
Radiator is installed and the water lines all hooked up and ready for water.
Trans coolers are mounted but need to get some 90's for them.
Fuel cell and fuel pump are mounted. Just need to drill the holes in the floor to run the lines under the bed.
Rear portion of the diamond plate is cut and put as well as the spaces to fill the gap between the shocks.
Shut off switch is mounted in the rear.
Brake booster rod has been cut off and shortened 1 1/2 inches
Brake pedal installed
Wiring run for everything in the engine bay
Hose clamps installed on hydraulic return lines
Grill primed inside and out
Hood primed inside and out (needs bodywork on some dings)
Battery support bars primed and painted
Rear bed braces primed and painted
Rear fenders painted
Rear fenders braces installed

Tomorrow I plan to do the body work on the hood so I can get it and the grill painted, finish figuring out the throttle and do some more wiring on the truck.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #479
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Managed to get quite a bit done to the truck today:

Mounted both rear fenders
Mounted support bars in back for the batteries
Mounted the battery boxes
Installed the batteries and hooked them up to the truck
Finished all the body work on the hood and it's ready to be primed tomorrow evening
Installed my switch panel
Drilled the holes for the battery cables to come through the floor
Drilled the holes for the fuel lines to go through the floor
Mounted the inside relay block for the switches
Mounted the negative distribution block in the cab
Installed rear bedside support braces

Need to pickup some larger grommets for the bed of the truck for the battery cables, fuel lines, water lines and transmission cooler lines. Also need to pick up some 90's for the AN fittings on the transmission coolers to better route the lines.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #480
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Wow... Does paint make a difference or what! Looks awesome!

And where did you get that relay block from with the fuse spot? I like it.

Closed Thread