275 HP motorhome compounds

megastang

Bought a motorhome with the 275 hp motor. Since it needs exhaust manifold gaskets I was just planning on putting on a HE351 now and probably some injectors in the near future. I had a K31 and a BD cast compound adapter laying around and mocked it up with the HE351 just for fun. Now I really want to do compounds. I'm thinking 40ish psi. My only real concern is the head gasket. What would be considered safe with a setup like this? I have read about people having head gasket problems but I am guessing that most of those issues are timing related. Being a 275 would this have a HO pump? From what I read the timing is different between the SO and HO pumps. If that is the case would adding injectors with pump with more timing advance be enough to cause concern? I really don't want to pull the head but definitely don't want to blow a head gasket while on vacation.

I always considered 40 psi on the 24v VP44 trucks to be the line for the HG. When we are talking RV I'd say you'd be further ahead to address the HG now. They are so much heaver than a pick-up and run way hotter. That's why exhaust manifolds crack on them all the time.

Is the Cummins gasket for the CR motors the one to use? Would ARP 425s be enough or should I go for the Haisley L-19

Is the Cummins gasket for the CR motors the one to use? Would ARP 425s be enough or should I go for the Haisley L-19

Nope.
Just stick with the ISB 24V gasket and surface & o-ring the head.
I'd just use new Cummins head bolts and shoot for 130 on the torque wrench. ARP 425 would be fine too, but we've had great results with new bolts, plus it keeps some cash in your pocket.

I'm in central PA. Any shops you would recommend? UCF in Carlisle has a head rebuild package on their website which includes o-ringing. Waiting to hear back on price.

UCF is a good choice, and good people. I'm not going to step on their toes if you've already contacted them.

Feel free to PM me if you decide against them for some reason.
Our website is http://www.MumauDiesel.com and we are located in Shelocta Pa. 15774

Back