Aam axle swap

12valvetater

So I’ve been trying to find some information on switching a 2nd gen truck over to an aam 11.5 rear axle but either people aren’t doing it or no one is talking about it much. I recently bought a 97 roller with 60/70 axles in 3.55. I’m not much of a fan of Dana 70s and I have 60/80 axles in 4.10 but would like to have the higher ratio. Now if I’m going to be switching axles around I thought why not do and aam axle and get better brakes along the way? Is this a reasonable conclusion to come to or not? I would like to stay with the 60 front but am not really opposed to going with a 9.25 aam front if there is a real benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its been a long time since i did my 80 swap and did all this measuring. But from what i remember, an AAM axle has perches that are closer together. And to my recolection it isnt feasable to reloacate them to line up with a 2nd gen frame. This would then cause you to have to modify your frame. It was and is much better financially to do an 80 swap from a 2nd gen.

Its been a long time since i did my 80 swap and did all this measuring. But from what i remember, an AAM axle has perches that are closer together. And to my recolection it isnt feasable to reloacate them to line up with a 2nd gen frame. This would then cause you to have to modify your frame. It was and is much better financially to do an 80 swap from a 2nd gen.

Had also looked into an AAM swap years ago, was much easier and cost effective to to get a disc brake Dana 80 and put a good carrier in it.

Disk brake 80s are getting pretty hard to find and they are crazy expensive. with so many of the aam axles floating around I can find them relatively cheap. That’s the main reason it seemed like an attractive idea.

Disk brake 80s are getting pretty hard to find and they are crazy expensive. with so many of the aam axles floating around I can find them relatively cheap. That’s the main reason it seemed like an attractive idea.

Pm me if you want help finding one. They are tough but they’re out there. I got mine shipped from Wisconsin for about 850 paid in. I can help you out.

what is not feasible about moving perches? Nothing real difficult about that normally. whats different on the aam axles?

I just looked at an axle in a friends gmc and it looks like the spring perch is just clamped to the axle with the u bolts.

I just looked at an axle in a friends gmc and it looks like the spring perch is just clamped to the axle with the u bolts.

Well you are planning on a Chevy AAM you might as well keep the Dana 70. The dodge AAM are beefier. The perches are welded on or fused they don't just sit on the tube. It has been done buddy did his on his puller brake lines don't match up, perches don't match, and drive-line is different if your determined it can be done i put one in my 95 fummins but i 4 linked it.

Thanks for that link. It definitely looks doable but I sure wouldn’t trade the disks for second gen drums.

Spring perch is welded on a GM axle. :rolleyes:
GM axle tubes are 3.5" diameter, Dodge 4" -- I do not know why.
Weld the tubes to the pumpkin if you're worried about tube wrap.

I have a 05 dodge Aam 11.5 in my 99. Welded on new perches and put late 01.5-02 dana 70-80 brakes on to fit the smaller rims. Works great! Wanna swap in the front 9.25 sooner or later too.

Back