Manual Grid Heater Switch

TruckYou

A week ago, after having grid heater issues , and determining the ecm wasn't delivering the signal to activate the new or old grid heater solenoids, I wired up a manual switch. At the time, -20 upstate NY winter days, this was the simpliest option. The switch worked, activates the solenoids, but right after the engine starts, I'm popping the inline fuses. Using two 4awg runs off the battery, to 2 inline buss fuses, to the solenoids, with a 100A fuse, first try the grid heater activated and worked, but 3 seconds after the engine started, it blew the fuse. Upgraded to a 120a fuse today, and did the same thing. Without the truck running, it seems to function fine.

What's my problem here? Is it too much current while charging/running? Would replacing the 4awg to some smaller runs help ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What kind of switch are you using and where do you have it wired in?

It should be a momentary switch wired to activate the relays, not to supply power to the grids. Shouldn't be anywhere near 100amps.

Did you totally disconnect the stock leads, then supply new ground and power leads? As I told you before, the PCM provides a ground signal. The other two leads (one to each relay) are always hot.

Back