Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Pro Fab Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
RickDLance

Name: RickDLance
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Colorado Diesel Parts

Anyone close to me with a Colorado diesel?

I'd like to spend some time with one to see if there's anything we can do to help it.

www.ProFabPerformance.com

We also handle S & B filters, Air Dog lift pumps, American Eagle wheels, and Kraftwerks Superchargers.

My 24th Duramax is the StudeMAX drag car!!

Special Thanks to my Sponsors!!
Danville Performance, SoCal Diesel, Vibrant Performance, & ProFab Performance!!

Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
RickDLance

Member`s Gallery
Well we found a guy that let us use his brand new truck. We built a cold side boost tube, a hot side boost tube, and a air intake tube. Here is his feedback.

Rick,

I was using voice dictation on my phone on the drive home to jot down my observations on differences I noticed. I didn't expect to notice much with only the upgrades to the airflow. Well, not only do the changes look great, they also seem to improve on an already pretty awesome design from Chevy.

1) The truck seems to shift a little harder. This may indicate more responsiveness. If it is responsiveness, then that might be a positive. It did smooth out later on. This might also be the truck trying to engage 4wd. I was almost to the Lawrence exit before I notice the switch was in the wrong position. It didn't engage, though, and I made sure I didn't screw anything up when I got home.

2) You guys managed to break my 50 mile average fuel mileage through Kansas City where my new record is 32.5 MPG. This is a 2.0 MPG improvement over my past 30.5 MPG. This includes some slow traffic and a minor traffic jam.Most of the time my speed didn't exceed 60 MPH.

3) The highway RPMs are lower than before the new breathing tubes. I ran a steady 2000 RPM at 70 MPH where I now run 1800 RPMs at 70 MPH.

4) There is more underhood noise than before. For someone hoping to fool people into thinking this is a gas engine, this could be a negative. For me, I love people asking if it really has a diesel engine in it! A little more noise that screams 'Babymax' is a great thing.

5) I drove for a bit with the windows down at <40 MPH and could lightly hear the turbo kick in. Previously, it was nearly impossible to hear the turbo.

6) I can't be sure of this one, but it seems to accelerate to highway speeds on entrance ramps a little quicker. That might just be perception.

Also, since you have another Colorado that will be testing some parts, it might be good to find out if he has a tonneau cover on his or not when looking at MPG comparisons. I've read the tonneau cover will add 2-3 MPG, alone.

So far, it's looking good! I'll try to note any new observations and let you know. If you have any new ideas after we get moved, let me know and I'll try to get the truck to you.

Thank you very much!

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_7188.JPG (334.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 102_7186.JPG (501.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 102_7133.JPG (377.7 KB, 0 views)

We also handle S & B filters, Air Dog lift pumps, American Eagle wheels, and Kraftwerks Superchargers.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Good to hear Rick!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
cquestad

Name: cquestad
Member`s Gallery
Air tube lowering RPMS? wow...does it have a Variable Speed Transmission? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
I'm pretty sure your awesomeness gets in the way of seeing anyone else's results.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Just an observation.

How can boost tubes lower the RPM?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDLance View Post
Well we found a guy that let us use his brand new truck. We built a cold side boost tube, a hot side boost tube, and a air intake tube. Here is his feedback.

Rick,

I was using voice dictation on my phone on the drive home to jot down my observations on differences I noticed. I didn't expect to notice much with only the upgrades to the airflow. Well, not only do the changes look great, they also seem to improve on an already pretty awesome design from Chevy.

1) The truck seems to shift a little harder. This may indicate more responsiveness. If it is responsiveness, then that might be a positive. It did smooth out later on. This might also be the truck trying to engage 4wd. I was almost to the Lawrence exit before I notice the switch was in the wrong position. It didn't engage, though, and I made sure I didn't screw anything up when I got home.

2) You guys managed to break my 50 mile average fuel mileage through Kansas City where my new record is 32.5 MPG. This is a 2.0 MPG improvement over my past 30.5 MPG. This includes some slow traffic and a minor traffic jam.Most of the time my speed didn't exceed 60 MPH.

3) The highway RPMs are lower than before the new breathing tubes. I ran a steady 2000 RPM at 70 MPH where I now run 1800 RPMs at 70 MPH.

4) There is more underhood noise than before. For someone hoping to fool people into thinking this is a gas engine, this could be a negative. For me, I love people asking if it really has a diesel engine in it! A little more noise that screams 'Babymax' is a great thing.

5) I drove for a bit with the windows down at <40 MPH and could lightly hear the turbo kick in. Previously, it was nearly impossible to hear the turbo.

6) I can't be sure of this one, but it seems to accelerate to highway speeds on entrance ramps a little quicker. That might just be perception.

Also, since you have another Colorado that will be testing some parts, it might be good to find out if he has a tonneau cover on his or not when looking at MPG comparisons. I've read the tonneau cover will add 2-3 MPG, alone.

So far, it's looking good! I'll try to note any new observations and let you know. If you have any new ideas after we get moved, let me know and I'll try to get the truck to you.

Thank you very much!

Jason

Cool that new products are coming out, however I am a little worried about the knowledge of the source... I assume it came straight from the customers mouth but...

How do you get the same MPH at 200rpm difference?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 01-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
cquestad

Name: cquestad
Member`s Gallery
Wohoooo...won the keyboard drag race...love Comp D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
I'm pretty sure your awesomeness gets in the way of seeing anyone else's results.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
RickDLance

Member`s Gallery
Me too, but that's what he said. The only thing I can think of is the convertor lockup point may have been effected. Maybe it's load sensitive.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
oldestof11

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Me too, but that's what he said. The only thing I can think of is the convertor lockup point may have been effected. Maybe it's load sensitive.
Locked is locked. Chevy does SLIDE from 0% to 100% lockup but it doesn't stay at 90% lockup vs 100%.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
RickDLance

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post
Locked is locked. Chevy does SLIDE from 0% to 100% lockup but it doesn't stay at 90% lockup vs 100%.

I'm not here to argue, and I posted what he said word for word.

I'm sure there is some sort of load calculation the computer figures for convertor lock up. Maybe we changed that and now it locks up earlier, maybe not. Not sure where you got the variable lock up deal.

Last edited by RickDLance; 01-08-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #11
oldestof11

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm not here to argue, and I posted what he said word for word.

I'm sure there is some sort of load calculation the computer figures for convertor lock up. Maybe we changed that and now it locks up earlier, maybe not. Not sure where you got the variable lock up deal.
Variable lockup is a thing in GM transmission. Like my Cruze and my old 8.1L Suburban. Hold a RPM with a high but not max power delivery. You can feel it slide into lockup like a centrifugal clutch. It can take upwards of 3 seconds I've noticed.

In fact, it was a hard thing for transmission builders of the 4L series trans because GM converters would last but aftermarket wouldn't due to clutch material differences.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #12
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post
Variable lockup is a thing in GM transmission. Like my Cruze and my old 8.1L Suburban. Hold a RPM with a high but not max power delivery. You can feel it slide into lockup like a centrifugal clutch. It can take upwards of 3 seconds I've noticed.

In fact, it was a hard thing for transmission builders of the 4L series trans because GM converters would last but aftermarket wouldn't due to clutch material differences.

Unless the trans fluid is cold and then it slams into lock up like an old ATS TripleLok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 01-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
oldestof11

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
Unless the trans fluid is cold and then it slams into lock up like an old ATS TripleLok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
True.

Closed Thread