Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
nborga87

Name: nborga87
Title: Poor Boy Puller
Member`s Gallery
Anyone here involved with UNOH's pulling truck?

I saw it in diesel world magazine a couple of times and was wondering if anyone had more information on it or maybe some pictures of it. I went to school there from 2005-2007, they didnt have that when i was there. I think its cool they re building a diesel pulling truck.
Team All Hooked Up
Mid-Atlantic Pulling Association

Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
GM Duraturd

Name: GM Duraturd
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I have been around it a few times. I know it has never made a pass. Seems to be a slow work in progress, i believe because it is done solely by the diesel club and not during class time... I could be wrong though, just remember hearing that.

1997 F-250
Working towards next years Work Stock puller.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
nborga87

Member`s Gallery
Are they gonna make a pass this year?
Team All Hooked Up

Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
C'ya

Name: C'ya
Title: I bleed Scarlet and Grey
Member`s Gallery
Saw it at farm science. It was a pretty scary sight. It looked quite pieced together and it had a solid welded suspension and only bed skins but engine mods were very minimal so I'm not sure what class they were going to run it it. Looked like a 3.0 truck with a workstock engine.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
MTZman

Name: MTZman
Title: Diesel Junky
Member`s Gallery
Im on the same page as C'ya is.. I was not impressed one bit at all... I figured coming from one of the best schools ive heard of around here it would have been put together and done much better than it was...

97 3500 12v RCLB 4x4 - converted to AAM DRW 4.10 - G56 - NP273 electric tcase - Tow Truck

03 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Dmax - Edge JWA - 4" exhaust - Dads toy

Old 11-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
97rada

Name: 97rada
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
hhaha THANK YOU GENTELMAN, i am a part of the club. i have done alot of work on that truck. Any questions just ask.
Yes the club will not listen to anyone with knowledge, all the people that are in the club dont ever drive diesel trucks or know performance ect!
Its beyond frustration. They want to put a Np 205 behind a 4500 because its the ultamate gear to gear. its so hard getting it through to them. The truck has a auto and a 160 pump and they want to run unlimited single? i even offered to donate what was needed for 2.6 or even work stock and they refused. Its beyond a cluster Phuck right now and is so hard to even stay with it.
With school funding and the people graduation that are destroying the club and truck, it might make a pass in a realistic class till then its hard to even attend a meeting.
I am sorry for the rant gentelmen.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nborga87 View Post
Are they gonna make a pass this year?
wont make a pass till next year at best. the engine is coming out again for more dyno runs.
This will show you how poor it is ran, i suggested "hey lets throw and adjustable gear on( donating mine for the dyno) and find where it makes best power." they come back with well we are going to get the pump re pinned at 26 and just be dont because thats what a few shops have suggested( not big shops either)

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
NyCowboy87

Name: NyCowboy87
Member`s Gallery
I was part of the diesel club when I was there in 06-08 and only attended a few meetings because it was a $hit show. No one with any knowledge was running it and they didnt want to take advice or listen to others.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
nborga87

Member`s Gallery
That sucks that its so screwed up like that. With the right leadership and some good sponsors it has some potential. You would think being in ohio there would be some very knowledgable people to be involved with it. I thought there was some good teachers that seemed to be very smart with diesels and performance that would do well with something like that. I cant believe they would jump right in to a unlimited single class like that. I mean that would def take over a 1,000 hp and need an open driveline behind it. It seems like they should ve started with workstock and then maybe worked their way up. The article i saw it in they were upgrading the dana 80. That aint enough for 3.0 or unlimited single. And an automatic is not a good idea. When is saw the pic in the magazine it had this ridiculous looking hitch hanging way out, what was up with that? What have they done with the motor? What they using for a turbo.
Team All Hooked Up

Old 11-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCowboy87 View Post
I was part of the diesel club when I was there in 06-08 and only attended a few meetings because it was a $hit show. No one with any knowledge was running it and they didnt want to take advice or listen to others.
its the exact same now! only the engine is in a second gen not first haha such a shame.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
97rada

Member`s Gallery
well now the engine is a ppump 24valve. its got main studs head studs and oings and thats it. There is a certain brand of roller rocker on it that have not done **** and its fresh thats about it...o and timed at 19* static . I actually did alot of the work on the 80 and 60 upgrade although i agree they wont last.
The turbo situation is supposed to be a donated 3.0 charger but still dont have it and the rest are junk. There are teachers that that know pulling somet that have been in the gas side for 20+ years but the ignorance keeps them away. The students are dumb and the teachers listen to anyone. I actually heard a kid ask if the truck was chipped in one meeting????

The worst part is we dont vote for a president and we wont. but at the same time we have one guy that is basically running the club because he is the one connected to the mag and sponcers. He is the kid that is hell bent to have a 205 for the transfer.
My daily drive has more power yet noone listens to people who actually have owned a diesel.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
nborga87

Member`s Gallery
why a np205 exactly? that wont hold up and i saw that they put 4.10 gears in it. If it was well organized and working out well I was gonna see if i could help them get some parts donated if i could or help some kinda way. But if its a joke i cant see doin that.
Team All Hooked Up

Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
97rada

Member`s Gallery
well to be honest if you are looking to help please do, everyone can be tought and there are people like me that do still care about the truck, i just went off on a rant because its so frustrating.
But the reason they want a 205 is because its gear to gear and think its the ultimate transfer case aside from a drop box. I tried telling them there was a reason that the gas world started retrofitting the 271 for gas pulling and gave alot of examples but still wouldnt listen. they said a chain would never be as strong a gear. ( shaft is the issue in that 205)
if you want to help we can be in contact. Its alwasy good to have a opinion other than the few people with knowledge. I still do all i can to make a better club.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
NyCowboy87

Name: NyCowboy87
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
its the exact same now! only the engine is in a second gen not first haha such a shame.
That sucks, the whole club could have a lot of success if they would just listen and look at a few of the top trucks.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
i attended uhoh from 06-09 and by the way it sounds nothing has changed. it sucks they dump all the money into the circle track cars. i hope the truck actually get going. i have a couple of buddies going there right now and they say the same things as you do 97rada. its sad really. it would be great for the school to branch out away from just the race cars.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
97rada

Member`s Gallery
I so agree i have went to the deans an everyone i can to get the diesel club as a school race team.
They put so much money in to circle track its not even funny.
I even have went to the school to see about a diesel performance class and they said there was no market, but there is an updated fuels class that will teach efi live and the basics of computers and ECT. That class is still 6 months out and we are looking for someone to help the teachers learn the programming.
just curios are your friends in the club or attended once and gave up?

Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nborga87 View Post
and i saw that they put 4.10 gears in it.
When I read that in the mag I was like What a waste....a dedicated puller should be running 4.88's or 5.13's. Sorry to hear that a club/school that has resources like that is run so ignorantly. Can't fix stupid.

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 11-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
nborga87

Member`s Gallery
you gotta talk them out of the np 205. like you said the shafts will never hold up. show them a picture of the difference between the shaft in an np 205 and 271 even the difference between a 241 dhd is significant. It may be gear to gear but that chain is stronger than you think. Look at what the top stock drivline guys are running. It sure isnt an np 205. Another thing you have to look at is what are the final drive ratios gonna come out to be with that setup.
Team All Hooked Up

Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
97rada

Member`s Gallery
i know thats exactly what you are talking about with the 205 i am putting something together to try showing this. would anyone happen to have pictures of each shaft side by side?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #20
GM Duraturd

Name: GM Duraturd
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
That pretty much sums up everything I have heard about it. I was actually enrolled at UNOH but got put off because Im currently deploying with the National Guard. I know alot of guys at UNOH and that truck appears to be very confused on the route it is taking

1997 F-250
Working towards next years Work Stock puller.

Closed Thread