Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 05:05 PM   #1
Jervis

Name: Jervis
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
BFGs ATs vs MTs for sled pulling

Sorry to start another tire thread but this is a bit different. I am currently running a 3rd gen Dodge nv5600 with approx 700hp. Currently run in 4 low and 4th with 33x12 BFG AT.

Most of our tracks here are clay but moisture content and time of day play a huge part. Some times the tracks are very tight at night but daytime pulls will be looser. This year I found I didn’t have as good of traction and lost to some trucks I know carry less wheel speed down the track than I do, when the track was loose. I do have a front locker just to clarify.

I am thinking on bumping up to 35s this year and debating on going with KM3s instead of the KO2s. Reason I want to stick with BFG is I get substantially better deal on tires from BFG then anything else.

I haven’t heard of many people running the BFG MT and wanted to see what everyone thought? I was thinking on giving them a try but I had a set of Cooper STT pros a couple years ago in a 33 and didn’t find they hooked very well.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:55 PM   #2
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Gear ratio?
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 01-10-2023, 06:32 AM   #3
Jervis

Member`s Gallery
Sorry thought i had put that in the original post. still have the factory 3.73s. i do have a spare set of 4.10s laying around as well.

truck normally pulls 4000-4200 down the track, dips down to probably to 3700-3800 at the end of the track. Currently run with the 33 ATs around 50 psi in the rear and 20-25 in the front.

Old 01-10-2023, 02:03 PM   #4
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I have some thoughts but my first question is why are you running in 4th gear as opposed to 5th and a 1:1 drive ratio in the trans? I think 4th is 1.39:1 and your transfer case is is a 241? so it's 2.72:1 so your final gear reduction is ~14:1? At 400rpms your wheel speed is ~28mph?

If so, I used to run a daily driver 3rd gen that was around 775hp at the wheels with an auto 1:1 and 2.72:1 transfer and 3.73 gears at 3000-3200 rpms (~29mph) down the track.

I ran 33" tires and mud grapplers with no problems, having said that if you are running in 4th gear to stay on top of the charger, I would stick with AT.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:02 PM   #5
Jervis

Member`s Gallery
I can pull 5th on a couple tracks if they are real loose but I couldn’t get away with most of the tracks in fifth. Auto is a bit different as you can shift and you are already moving instead of trying to come from a dead stop in 1.1.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:40 PM   #6
Puddles

Name: Puddles
Member`s Gallery
There seems to be a lot of work stock/open street trucks running pretty fast final drives with good success from those I’ve talked to. I don’t pull on tacky clay tracks so I might be talking out of my ass but might it be worth trying to make the power to run direct with 33’s? I’d be hesitant to make the jump to a larger/more aggressive tire if I didn’t have enough power to run direct as is.

1990 w250- nv4500, 62SXE, honed 370’s, hvlp, valair ceramic single

Old 01-17-2023, 11:25 AM   #7
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
I can pull 5th on a couple tracks if they are real loose but I couldn’t get away with most of the tracks in fifth. Auto is a bit different as you can shift and you are already moving instead of trying to come from a dead stop in 1.1.
I've pulled with a NV5600 before as well and always pulled in 5th with a 35" tire but ran A/T's and 4.56 gears. If you can't pull in 5th than I would definitely stick with A/Ts and change your gears. Ideally pulling in 5th with a NV5600 will help it live forever give you better results on the track.

Closed Thread