Dana 80 rebuild.

J-Pipes

Looks like there's something going on with my axle, causing a vibration. Just wondering what I should be expecting for cost to have new bearings and seals put in? I'm guessing it's a bearing anyway, an outer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

P pump it
Wrong thread, you're looking for one started by Gary! ?
I'm not opposed to a pump swap myself, but this VP is still working. Also, doubt that'll fix the shake in the rear end either, probably make it worse with all that extra power!

I'll have to check. Something is telling me it is 4:10s. It's totally factory. Came off that truck I pulled 6.0 out of.

Changing the outer bearings in a FF axle shouldn't be a big deal. No idea what a shop would charge but I'd say less than $100 in parts if doing it yourself

Changing the outer bearings in a FF axle shouldn't be a big deal. No idea what a shop would charge but I'd say less than $100 in parts if doing it yourself
Couple of places that popped up first online looking up the parts was in the $300 range for the "kit". I'm just unsure if that's the problem or if it's in the center. I don't have the knowledge or time to properly diagnose and fix it myself. Plan to try to limp it through August and drop it off somewhere the beginning of September to get fixed while I'm on vacation. Wrecked my Jetta about 1-1/2 weeks ago, have a rental until the 5th, then I'll need to drive the truck.

What kind of vibration? Constant? Change with throttle input?

Maybe call Howie @ HD&R in Newark, see if he would have time to look at it or fix it.

What kind of vibration? Constant? Change with throttle input?

Maybe call Howie @ HD&R in Newark, see if he would have time to look at it or fix it.
Feels kinda like a out of balance tire at highway speeds. I've changed tires/wheels, both drive shafts, front u-joints. It's fine when revved in neutral, trans in gear t-case in neutral, but with the rear on jack stands, it really shakes! Didn't do it until after the truck sat most of a yr. Guessing the bearings lost their oil film and rusted.

Bearings, races, seals on both sides. Super easy. Been way too long to give you an estimate of price though.
I just worry that the oil has carried debris from the outer into the center, pinion seal does have a slight leak. After draining the oil, the bottom of the case has sort of a "pasty" feel, guessing that's clutch residue from the limited slip?

Try that test with the drums off, assuming it's a drum rear
I've done it with the rear tires/wheels off, still very noticeable. That was when I had the rear brakes replaced, they were still original with 200k miles on them, figured something let go and was the issue.

Have you pulled the cover and checked things out?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a broken or missing tooth on either the ring or pinion gear. My dad had a similar issue in his semi. Did everything he could think of, everything you’ve already done. Turned out the ring gear was missing 3/4 of a tooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you pulled the cover and checked things out?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a broken or missing tooth on either the ring or pinion gear. My dad had a similar issue in his semi. Did everything he could think of, everything you’ve already done. Turned out the ring gear was missing 3/4 of a tooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got the cover off now, that's on the list to lift it up and roll the tires to see all of the gears. Hopefully today that happens, have errands to run this morning, and Monster Jam for the kids tonight.

Back