Autometer Pyro probe leaking!

JasonCzerak

So while driving and coming to a stop, I kept getting this whiff of diesel. Looking a head, no other trucks in front of me!

So when I got home I popped the hood and sure enough there is a nice coat of soot on the pryo probe! (nothing else seems to be leaking any other place that I can see.)

I have the Autometer 7545 0-2000 pyro. Since I already had the edge previously installed there, I just threaded the autometer 1/8" NTP bolt in the exhaust manifold. Looking at their setup I thought it was a little "weak" design for the next step. you place the probe in a hole "just big enough" for the probe and then you tighten with a allen wrench a little screw to hold the probe in place. I had about 1/8" of the prove off the bottom of the manifold to allow for expansion and movement and what not.

I can't feel air while the truck is high idling at 1500. So I take it air excapes while moving a little faster with a bit more boost.

Suggestions on correcting this? Is there a way to duplicate the edge probe install style?

Maybe some locktight there in between things?

Use the edge probe....

I believe a type K thermocouple is going to replace a type k, I always heard myths about never cutting the lead in length but I'm not sure I buy that theory anymore.

You can use a SS compression fitting on your existing probe if you haven't run the allen down too tightly. That would save you changing the Autometer probe. (b!tch)

One source you can get fittings from is mcmaster.com. Not sure the diameter of the thermocouple, but you need XXX compression by 1/8NPT.

I called them up. found a solution

Simple compression fitting from auto meter.

http://autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=144

Looks like if it did make it "to tight" were the compression fitting will go will be above the set screw. I hope. If I have to, the probe removal won't be to difficult,it's on top of all the old stuff. Ask me to replace the low press fuel or tranny temp wires and I'll kick and scream. :)

Back