12V question

BLOWN84

POWER ADDICT
Is there one year 12V thats better than others any years to avoid to build a 500 600 rwhp truck ?

1997 and 1998 5 speed trucks were rated at 215 hp stock. If you start from there you're only a few tweaks away. But any 12 valve can be built to put out 500 horse. It's all about how deep your pockets are.

What do you think it would take ? So should I stay away from earlier year 12V even if its not going in stock I will be doin a cam before it goes in then I need to find the supporting hardware to get into that range . Anyone got some proven combo's there willing to share ?

No, earlier 12 valves are actually fine. Your horsepower is going to come from how your P-pump is set up and making sure your turbo(s) push enough air to match your fuel. A cam is a good mod, but they are more for extending the RPM range you make power in and improving air flow, subsequently lowering EGT. The 1997 and 1998 5 speed trucks come with a P-pump that flows fuel pretty well in stock form. Look for the number on the tag on the pump for the model number. It should end in 887 or 913, denoting a 215 hp pump. Putting a performance fuel plate like a #10, a 4KGSK, 191 delivery valves, some performance injectors, setting timing up to 17 degrees or so, and then getting a turbo that will flow enough air to burn the fuel you're feeding will put you well on your way. But if you have a manual shift, you will need an upgraded clutch. If you have an auto, it will not last long stock. I'm sure other more experienced people will chime in. I haven't been messing with these engines very long.

If you plan to race it at all get an auto .... The 94 -95s are good because you you have less electronics to play with ......
My 94 has proven 600 hp w/o any fine tune adjustments

I have an ATS stage 5 trans with all the billet shafts in my truck now so I should be good as far as trans and convertor . I plan on getting the PCS trans controller for it . I was looking at the industrial injection silver bullet turbo would that be a good choice I dont want to do twins ? As far as the cam goes I figure while its out I should just do it any recommendations there ? what about valve springs do they have to be done if I do the cam ? Who do you guys recommend for injectors ? Thanks again for all the help guys ......

Silver Bullet is an awesome turbo. If you're going for 500 or so horse, though, you might be better off with something smaller. It'll spool quicker. There's some good cams out there. Piers makes a good one, Formula 1 Helix cams are real popular, Scheid makes a street cam, this is real treacherous ground we're treading on here. For me to say product A is the best would likely get some spirited responses. Same goes for injectors. Lots of good ones out there. DDP, Diesel Dynamics, Formula 1, Industrial Injection, the list is long. It's best to stay away from an injector made for marine applications, because the spray pattern is made for pistons with a different bowl. I hope that helps.

Hey thanks guys heres an update . I bought a 94 motor with 90k on it Had the head o-ringed (I was pleased when I removed the head The cylinders look NEW all the crosshatch still there ), The P-pump is at Garmons now and he is going to send me valve springs , Head studs , I am not certian on which injectors yet , I purchased a turbo from a fellow compd member which is a pro street 66 , All my conversion parts are ordered and most will be here next week . I am taking alot of pics of the whole project I am working on getting them all in order so I can put them up . I had all the valve covers along with the front cover , air intake , ext painted to match the blue color of the truck They came out nice . Any suggestions welcome on injectors , as well as where to get pre bent fuel lines . Thanks again guys for all the info its a big help I am new to these motors ........

MKoth said:
Overpriced. I know guy who can get the same thing at a much better price....
Edm is done in house pal, I dont thing there sending them down to california like some of the washington state company's do.

TMONEYDIESEL said:
Edm is done in house pal, I dont thing there sending them down to california like some of the washington state company's do.
you're right they just steal everyone elses RnD and marketing ideas and then call it their own. :cheer:

edgerat said:
you're right they just steal everyone elses RnD and marketing ideas and then call it their own. :cheer:

Who keeps on slithering into there utah factories to get a peak at technology at its best, Let me give you a hint, Its a state thats known for apples.....Farizzle LOL LOL LOL

That Guy said:
Good luck getting that information, but I will tell you they come from much farther North.
I think i got some of the information, Are you sure your not talking about the Eastern washington guy who had to teach the Western Washington guy what to do.LOL LOL

TMONEYDIESEL said:
Who keeps on slithering into there utah factories to get a peak at technology at its best, Let me give you a hint, Its a state thats known for apples.....Farizzle LOL LOL LOL
Did you just show up here at Comp. Diesel to pick apart other peoples threads and cause general stupidity or do you actually have an orignal thought in your head??

Back