Soundproofing install and results (CLD, CCF, MLV)

EasternAggie

Back from the dead!
Figured it was time to get some pics up of my soundproofing install, and give some results as well. I used Don's products @ sounddeadenershowdown.com. CLD (constrained layer damper) tiles, 1/8" CCF (closed cell foam), and 1lb MLV (mass loaded vinyl). Pics and install to follow, dB results at the end.

The products

DSCN0631_zps222276f3.jpg

Cab stripped. Any spots that were showing rust I sanded down and threw 2 or 3 coats of rust preventative primer over. You wouldn't believe how much dirt and grime a truck can acquire over 19 years.

DSCN0641_zpse4f6eefe.jpg

DSCN0642_zps3851846f.jpg

DSCN0643_zps4a7c38dd.jpg

DSCN0645_zps62a7a2d7.jpg

CLD tiles installed. Peel and stick, very simple. All surfaces cleaned with alcohol prior to install. I believe they use a butyl based adhesive.

DSCN0647_zps697feaf7.jpg

DSCN0649_zps13958211.jpg

DSCN0650_zps9f5208f9.jpg

DSCN0653_zpsfca6c753.jpg

Cutting out the CCF/MLV for the door panels. They were glued together prior to install. After making the template for the first door, the second door was a piece of cake.

DSCN0656_zps7de1b422.jpg

CCF and MLV installed.

DSCN0659_zps1e97fe61.jpg

DSCN0660_zps46f8ab3d.jpg

DSCN0663_zpsd6e29ff5.jpg

Here are the results, with before and after dB for different scenarios listed. All are approximations.

____________Idle: 72-73dB - 70dB
35mph in 3rd gear: 77-78dB - 76dB
35mph in 4th gear: 73-74dB - 72dB
45mph in 4th gear: 76-78dB - 74-75dB
45mph in 5th gear: 75-76dB - 72-73dB
55mph in 4th gear: 77-79dB - 77dB
55mph in 5th gear: 76-77dB - 74dB
65mph in 4th gear: 79-80dB - 77-78dB
65mph in 5th gear: 75-77dB - 75dB

Was windy both days, so that contributed to some of the noise. There seems to be a consisted 1-2db drop in nearly every situation, and it was very noticeable in the cab. It was not night and day; my truck already had fairly good sound insulation from the factory, so it wasn't like I was coming from the dark ages, but still well worth the money. I have no doubt that if installed in an older vehicle, the difference would be astonishing.

Very nice!

Driving my 7.3 for the first time tonight in months and months, i realized just how loud it is in the cab. Which i do still have a 1" hole in the firewall that needs plugged. LOL Not sure if i'm going to even attempt to fix the rust on my cab, or get a new one and strip it down, but either way i'm going to do something like this, plus pull the dash out to replace it, and do the firewall. Or if i end up getting another cab i may just coat it all with secondskin.

How much did that end up costing you?

I want to say it was right around $400. I think Don's stuff (the CLD tiles, 1/8" CCF, vinyl cement, and velcro strips) was $250-275. The MLV I got from another company, and it was around $150 (almost half of that was shipping, the crap is heavy). Don has the best deals on all the other products IMO, I was just able to find the MLV cheaper from other places.

For the most part, exhaust stayed about the same volume, pretty much nonexistant anyways. The engine was noticeably quieter. The biggest difference in sound came from the lack of tire noise now and also the lack of front end noise. I have a couple of brake calipers that rattle that you don't hear in the cab now.

i found the majority of nose that goes away is the back ground, road noise etc..
Constant volume type noise..
2 decibels isn't a lot, but you factor in everything snuffed below that margin, it makes a big difference.

Last edited:
It really wasn't that great of a dB meter, just a free Iphone app download LOL

But it at least gives some type of reference.

Those are the sounds I'd like to diminish in mine, one step at a time I guess, it's already quieter than the dodge and all I've added is spraydead to the firewall.

With just the little I was able to do with CLD, CCF/MLV; I noticed a drop in tire/road noise as well. The engine might be slightly more muffled, can't even hear the exhaust unless I'm really getting on it. Heck my car has way more annoying road noise than my truck.

Did you do the roof as well? In my quadcab, the roof used to resonate, especially with stacks. I'm in the process of a cab swap/sound deadening in my reg cab, I'm excited to see (hear) the difference.

Did you do the roof as well? In my quadcab, the roof used to resonate, especially with stacks. I'm in the process of a cab swap/sound deadening in my reg cab, I'm excited to see (hear) the difference.

I did CLD tiles on my roof. Don recommended Thinsulate as well, but that stuff is high.

I did the roof in my mega, and it made a huge difference. Granted I have a larger span. But yes, if you are going to do your roof, get some ensolite peel and stick from Raamat. Lay that between headliner and deadener.

Back