6.2 Mpg

Jon

Diesel Tech
Hi everyone. I have always been a fan of the '73 to '87 half ton chevys. I have restored several. I realize the 6.2 wasnt a power house but am curious about something. A 6.2 in a long bed 4x4 would make a great daily driver I think? What kind of fuel milieage can you expect out of one of these? I have heard in the 20's? Is that correct?

It would be alright, certainly no powerhouse. Other options would be better for power etc. Heard of a couple Dmax transplants in those trucks, expensive & PIA to hook up electronics. A cummins 12v would be ideal for that truck.

I understand

But thats not what I'm shooting for. I want to run a 6.2 with a turbo setup on it. Just as a daily driver. I have heard the 6.2's can achive excellent fuel mileage and thats what I'm trying to figure out.

You should taslk with John Kennedy. He is a sponsor here www.kennedydiesel.com He knows several tricks with the 6.2 and 6.5, and the power he can pull out of those motors may suprise you.

we have one at work with 385,000 miles org motor. It is loaded(10,000) service truck and gets 17-18. Does not like to tow

my cousins will see about 21 if you drive it like a grandma would. normally 17-18 driving normally and i hear ya about the towing they don't like that when they start to get some miles on them

THE TANK said:
we have one at work with 385,000 miles org motor. It is loaded(10,000) service truck and gets 17-18. Does not like to tow

But it does like to smoke like a choo choo and accelerate very slowly:hehe:

If milage is your only concern I would put a Cummins 4bt in it 30mpg would not suprise me and still have more power than a 6.2$.02

doesn't exergy have a standalone duramax wiring harness kit now so it's alot easier to drop a dmax into something?

What sort of gear are you guys breaking 20 MPG running. Two or four wheel drive?

I average 14 mpg with my 87 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4. But I do have 4.10 gears running 33" tires.

my college roomate has a 89 w/ 4.11's and a 4spd on 33's and he gets 14 highway, 10 in town and 8 hooked to a trailer.........were fixin to try to trade it off on a 99ctd.....for power and mpg go with a 4 itll sound like a backhoe but out chug any 6.2 out there just my 2cents

Yeah, good idea to removed the EGR stuff. That's the first thing I did to my motor. That and **** can the glow plug controller for a push button.

The 6.2 is like a old oil furnace. They later ones with the egr gum up the intake so bad

my cousins will see about 21 if you drive it like a grandma would. normally 17-18 driving normally and i hear ya about the towing they don't like that when they start to get some miles on them

Driving it like a grandma would be flooring it in those trucks.LOL

I had an 82 1/2 ton short wheel base Scottsdale with the 6.2. If I remember right it got around 26 mpg running around 55 mph. It loved eating injector pumps and transmissions though, so any fuel savings was spent on repair.

My 6.2 gets awesome mileage...the truck has been sitting on jackstands and the engine on a stand for almost a year :hehe:

Back