PMR 7.3 400hp

Trapper

Hater
What's the census nowadays? Can a PMR motor still make 400hp ever so often? I'm looking at powerstrokes again. Really like this 2000 model but found a 2001. At least I would do is chip it.

I had mine right around the 375 mark and had no problems. TW tunes, Adrenaline HPOP, water meth, and the GTP38r.

There was some left over forged blocks that made it into the 01's. Bring a plug tool and check it before you buy.

I ran my PMR motor @ approx 430 rwhp for 2 years. Not a single issue.
I just recently had DI swap in a set of forged rods for piece of mind, and so I can turn up the wick a little... :ft:

You can do over 400 no problem. But it will be a gamble. It's all in the tuning and how you drive. RPMs are your friend, to a point.

IF you go to a company like DP tuner they can make a reliable 400 hp tune for a PMR motor, they change the timeing and fuel curves to make power and reduce cylinder pressure that make the PMR's fail.

I've been seeing 450hp as the usual breaking point here lately, some blow before that though.

Also, just a thought, but no matter how much you "detune" the setup, it's all in the customers hands as to how hard they lean on it.

If it were me, I would buy a forged rod motors if i wanted more than a tuner. Like others said theirs a big risk with PMRs, so if you get one get a good tuner.

My buddy ran his PMR's upto 482hp on the dyno, and drove the truck like that for 2 years...never had any problem...

I on the other hand went with the ARP's and never worry about it :)

Back