Hand controls for pulling truck?

95longbed

Looking for input on using hand controls, a local puller was injured in an accident, and does not have the strength in his legs to be comfortable without some other ways to run the brakes and throttle. He has a duramax, the throttle is an easy fix. Just wondering about rules, and if anyone has any experience with running a hand brake setup. He normally runs in a street or work stock type class. I know there are dot legal setups out there, any input would be helpful.

I'm in a wheelchair and I use hand throttle and a hand clutch. Josh land might have some input I got my setup from him.

both jake and josh. as jake already commented. he might beable to send some pics to go off of. both nice guys and im sure they'd be willing to help where necessary. pretty inspiring to see them overcome their odds and still beable to compete in this sport. good luck. walter smith might beable to help in the fabricating controls department. he makes some really awesome pieces.

Last edited:
Thanks for giving us a direction to head...I have been around hand controls in Street cars, but was unsure if that was going to be the best choice. I am trying to decide if a separate brake and throttle setup is going to be better then a combined control lever. I'll have to give your guys suggestions a call or message after I talk to him again to see what he would feel comfortable with. Any pics or other input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming it's an auto trans? Personally I prefer to have two separate controls for the brake and throttle, but it can get a little hairy if you're not careful, because you need to steer as well. What I used for years was literally 2 metal rods that we made that cinched around each pedal. If its just a stock turbo/street application he may be just as well off with a conventional style that are commonly used on the street. In my daily drivers I prefer the Monarch brand

Yes it's auto, not stock turbo, it's a fairly competitive truck in our area in non points 2.5 classes (local pulls, rules very greatly.) I've thought about a custom thumb throttle on the left hand of the steering wheel. But it's up to what he feels most comfortable with. Thanks for everyone's input.

Back