Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Audio, Video, Lighting
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #21
Yeagerbomb

Name: Yeagerbomb
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
talent right there

Old 07-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #22
Yeagerbomb

Name: Yeagerbomb
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
to many knobs for me though haha

Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #23
impmouse

Name: impmouse
Title: loaf
Member`s Gallery
WOW ,,, haven't seen those amps in a long time ,,, if i'm right are those the old school autotek amps???? if they are i had 2 7600's for 8 12's in an acura walled off ... man that brings back alot of old builds i did ... those amps are about 17-18 years old ,wow thats was a long time ago

Old 07-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #24
impmouse

Name: impmouse
Title: loaf
Member`s Gallery
i rember then if you didn't have fostgate, lanzar , hifonices, kicker or phoenix gold you where a poser... those where some of my best times

Old 07-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #25
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Remember with a Crew Cab Superduty you can move the rear seat forward about an inch or so also just by drilling new holes.

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 07-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #26
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
I had 2 - 12" Kickers behind the Seat of My CC Superduty...It sounded great!

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #27
Dboy11

Name: Dboy11
Title: Resident Closet Gay
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen View Post
Remember with a Crew Cab Superduty you can move the rear seat forward about an inch or so also just by drilling new holes.
So just drill some new holes in the brackets?? I think that should give me the clearance I need to get those subs in there. I have been out of town working so i havent had a change to get down to the audio store.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #28
THATpreston

Name: THATpreston
Title: Brush your teeth.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by impmouse View Post
i rember then if you didn't have fostgate, lanzar , hifonices, kicker or phoenix gold you where a poser... those where some of my best times
You will enjoy this ad from a magazine I found then....

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

2006 Dodge Mega Cab Dually - "MOBYDK"
Diesel Performance Converters ~ Pro Street Diesel ~ MCN Diesel

CompD Mod White Dodge Club, member #1.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #29
jdc753

Name: jdc753
Title: 6-Blow
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboy11 View Post
So just drill some new holes in the brackets?? I think that should give me the clearance I need to get those subs in there. I have been out of town working so i havent had a change to get down to the audio store.
Might want to check with Rich (unbroken) on that. I know the 99-03 seats can have the brackets flipped and good to go, but I don't know of the 04+ seat, Rich mentioned once he had "modded" his seat a little to gain some space.

Rear Seat Brackets - Powerstroke Nation

I am pretty sure you can get right at 2 cubes behind the rear seat, but nothing more than 5.5" MAX for mounting depth. That mounting depth might even be accounting for a fiberglass rear wall instead of 3/4" material, also where the cab vents are will limit depth and pretty unavoidable with 4 subs vs 3 or 2. You could completely remove the vents if you want but its a big debate over the effects this has on the truck.

Pretty much you are limited to shallow mounts, only conventional sub I was going to consider when I was looking was the Treo SSi (or some other lesser knowns.) Kicker shallows (CVT) require a a bit more airspace than comparable shallows which I think kinda defeats the purpose. Pioneer shallows only need something like 0.3-0.5 and are generally a good bang for the buck deal. Some other notable shallows to consider would be the Memphis S-class (I really like their looks and specs on paper) the JL TW (big $$ but supposedly top dog) Exile audio, and RE audio have some good shallows too. Also Stereo Integrity (small S. Carolina based company) has a new shallow sub that is of a completely different design (XBL^2) which I would love to try out. I have their Magnum V4 and really like it but its a TOTALLY different sound compared to normal subs and not for everyone.

Lots of good advice so far, get the box part squared away first since it dictate the overall sound much more than the subs themselves. If you get close on airspace you can use some polyfil to trick the subs. I would recommend building it yourself, or finding a buddy to build, or a shop.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #30
Dboy11

Member`s Gallery
Roger that guys. I figured I would let you know i put my buddy on it.

I was waiting on getting my new double din in, and that goes in tomorrow. My neighbor gave me a top of the line pioneer double din.

As far of the box goes now, it is now narrowed down to 3 shallow mount 10's. Thinking of the pioneer also?

Anyone got any ideas for the amp?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #31
Snake

Name: Snake
Title: 40 lug nuts
Member`s Gallery
If you have front captain's chairs, you could mod the center console to fit (2) 10's. I had a box behind the rear seat in my 05 F-250 and moved the subs to a center console box. It made a HUGE improvement in both volume and sound quality.

FWIW, this is also being debated over here Sub options for Crewcab trucks with Power slider? - Powerstroke Nation

Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #32
Dboy11

Member`s Gallery
Wow, they have some crazy stuff over there!!! I dont worry to much about how it looks as long as the back seat is folded up,no one can see it anyways.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #33
Snake

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, but 99% of people will lose a lot of sound (both volume and quality) with the seat up.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #34
Dboy11

Member`s Gallery
So very true. So what is your best advice as to where to put it then??

On a side note, i have been wondering if it would be possible to remove the metal things below the seat and put them there instead.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #35
BtsNhoS

Name: BtsNhoS
Title: I need a truck
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks preston! Im not a well...u know..with my want for subs, i just find that a 10 sounds good but still falls short somedays. The main issue I have right now is clearence behind the seat. The current 10 that is in there hits the back of the seat and i have blown it once. What is the advantage of going with a 12 over a 10 to begin with. Do they sound better? Are they louder? Do they hit harder and cleaner?
hahahahahaha d@mnit dean

Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #36
Snake

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So very true. So what is your best advice as to where to put it then??

On a side note, i have been wondering if it would be possible to remove the metal things below the seat and put them there instead.
That's a pretty good option actually. A number of people have taken that rack out underneath the rear seat and put a box there.

Just my opinion, but the two best places are under the rear seat or the center console. Downward firing. But if you can move the rear seat forward enough to keep the sub from hitting the back of the seat, behind the rear seat would work fine. Just have to pay close attention to airspace.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #37
Dboy11

Member`s Gallery
So will I need to build a custom box then? Or would it be possible to use one from the earlier model year trucks. I cant thank you enough for all the help!!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #38
Snake

Member`s Gallery
There are companies out there that make boxes for the center console, under the rear seat, or behind the rear seat but you're going to get your best sound with a custom made box (if the builder knows what he's doing).

FWIW, my guy just told me he'd make other center console boxes for $550 - $700 depending on who does the vinyl / leather work. That's a box for (2) 10's and you supply the subs.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #39
Dboy11

Member`s Gallery
Roger that....Let me look around and see what we got going on. Putting in the double din tonight!

Closed Thread