Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Audio, Video, Lighting
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
MD-LUCKY

Name: MD-LUCKY
Title: Difficult To Pronounce...
Member`s Gallery
Stereo Recommendations?

My brother has a 2006 1500 Chevy, and the factory deck will no longer play CDs. He is almost always a 100% factory replacement guy, but I think I've actually convinced him to step outside the box on this one.

He can get a factory replacement CD player for around $500. That is the max he wants to spend on a new system if he decides to go to the aftermarket route.

He does not have the Bose system, but it is a 6 speaker system.

When I did the system in my truck a few years ago, I spent probably 2 months researching decks, amps, subs, etc. Once I got it all installed, I pretty much stopped caring about what the latest and greatest was, and I haven't looked at options available since. I have no idea what's good and what isn't.

I went with an Alpine deck and I have mixed feelings about it. Has their quality control improved? Kendwood was also highly recommended at the time..

He went down and looked at a few options at a local car audio place. He actually almost walked out with a BOSS DVD indash player because of the price, but thankfully he decided to wait.. I haven't heard great things about them.

He would most likely like to add a sub. I have a thunderform under my rear seat.. Any of you Chevy guys have options for hidden enclosures like that?

Basically, what can he do for an 06 Chevy and $500? Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
MD-LUCKY

Member`s Gallery
Alright, forget the subs/amps/etc... His budget is way too low.

What deck would you recommend for under $500?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Phooker

Name: Phooker
Title: Gluten Free
Member`s Gallery
is it a dual din?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
MD-LUCKY

Member`s Gallery
I beleive so.. Crutchfield says this:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Pickup Extended Cabwithout Bose system; with 6 speakers; with OnStar
Factory Stereo Installed [change]Factory replacement info:
In-dash stereo
6-5/16" depth; Size code DD,E ; Non-standard dash opening (special integration package required)

DD
Double-DIN receivers fit in the 4" tall opening found in many Japanese and American vehicles.
E
"Euro-DIN" stereos attach from the front through the 2" tall rectangular hole in the dash, sliding into a metal sleeve that attaches to the front of the dash.

For what it's worth.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
MD-LUCKY

Member`s Gallery
Man he's really leaning on this Boss DVD player now....

Anyone?

Anyone?

Hell... Anyone know anything about Boss? Anyone have first hand experience?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Phooker

Member`s Gallery
no experience with boss...never heard of it ever...don't get it...

Old 07-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Phooker

Member`s Gallery
I'm looking for models...but seems pioneer hasn't got a replacement for the one I used to like.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-LUCKY View Post
Man he's really leaning on this Boss DVD player now....

Anyone?

Anyone?

Hell... Anyone know anything about Boss? Anyone have first hand experience?
BOSS is junk. Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion, Panasonic, Pioneer, Eclipse is what you should look for.

BOSS, PyLE, JENSEN, ect are not the best, but I would put a Jensen or Dual in something that might get broken into. They are OK for a little while.
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
Dodgentwo

Name: Dodgentwo
Member`s Gallery
I have always liked and had good luck with Pioneer and Kenwood. Have him look into their "upper end" models. Pioneer Premier and Kenwood Excelon

I have also run a few Clerion and Sony that were not bad units either. But like said above, The BOSS, PYLE and the like are junk.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
I heard that Eclipse has pulled out of the US market so beware there as warranty and service will be a huge issue down the road if that is indeed true.

Kenwood has always been one of my favorites as well as Sony and Alpine. I always like the performance and price of Pioneer units but never loved the user interface, it always seemed to me like too many button presses were required for simple functions.

Go to somewhere like Best Buy or a decent sized and reputable specialty car audio retailer and take the time to play with the various units in his price range making sure that they have the features he wants and expects for his $500.

Quite frankly he would be dumb to pay $500 for a factory unit when he can get an aftermarket unit with the same features for half the money or get a much better unit for the same money!!!!

If he is wanting to upgrade and go with video and DVD, he will either need to pay more to get a quality unit or settle for a lower end unit that he may not be happy with! He can upgrade to navigation, DVD and touchscreen with a major brand name from $600-1000+ so look around for specials and closeouts. Check crutchfield.com and bestbuy.com for closeouts or refurbs that may be a good route to go for him where he can get good stuff without breaking his budget by too much!!!

Hope this helps,
CT

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
gotdale?

Name: gotdale?
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
If he stays with just a regular cd player I'd recommend a kenwood x994, I think that's what it is. I picked one up a few months ago and love it. It comes with a cable on the back for an iPod and also offers bluetooth for hands free talking. Yes, the microphone is even included. You can also change the colors of the deck which is pretty sweet

Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
Dboy11

Name: Dboy11
Title: Resident Closet Gay
Member`s Gallery
Kenwood or pioneer!!

Closed Thread