who has HID's in the fogs? 2nd gen rams....

Do you have a Bulb number and part number?

it will be the 800 series bulbs.... and being as they all mount the same way, the only difference is the plug, whether it comes in at a 90* angle or straight in...... but you will take care of that with the HID harness.......

as of now I have a silverstar fog light bulb (they dont make the 90* stock bulb in a silverstar) so its an 800 series that comes in straight instead of the 90* bend and the latches on the plugs are different, but its such a tight fit I've never had any issues and had them in over a year now...... i think I wrapped the plug to bulb with electrical tape just for extra security

Do you know exactly what I will need to get for the fogs? I am going to order next week.

it will be the 800 series bulbs.... and being as they all mount the same way, the only difference is the plug, whether it comes in at a 90* angle or straight in...... but you will take care of that with the HID harness.......

as of now I have a silverstar fog light bulb (they dont make the 90* stock bulb in a silverstar) so its an 800 series that comes in straight instead of the 90* bend and the latches on the plugs are different, but its such a tight fit I've never had any issues and had them in over a year now...... i think I wrapped the plug to bulb with electrical tape just for extra security

It looks like you (and I) will need the 800 series bulb HID kit.

How about a Christmas group buy???

Here's my email I got back from Todd the other day.

Hello Mark,

One the 99 Cummins, is the kit low beam only? Does it have any high beam
function to it?
In any wiring harness design you will need, there will be a connection
that goes to the battery positive and a grounding ring on each side on
the frame. These areas you do want to sand down to bare metal and apply
dielectric grease for hte best connection and reliability. It could be
the ballasts in your kit too, as DC output ballasts are becoming very
attractive for the vendors of generic kits these days. There production
cost is considerably lower, so when looking for the best bottom line
price they are attractive... but they do have flickering problems that
get worse with age.

The 98 Jetta, there you will need a relay wiring harness for things to
work right with the DRLs. The Economy kits are a generic production kit,
however they are required to meet certain specifications for our standards.
- they are AC output ballasts
- they are 35w output (not input)
- they are digital feedback controlled
NightVision on the other hand in addition to those things listed above a
proprietary brand we offer. They are higher in quality (better longevity
and more reliable), and feature instant hot re-strike protection and out
power management protection as well.

Thanks,

Todd Strong - Retro-Solutions, LLC

I have 55watt 5000K's in my heads...can't say I ever use the brights. LOL
Took some time to get them aimed to not blind people but I finally got it figured out.
I rarely if ever get flashed with them.

I can only imagine how bright the 10000K bulbs would be then. The kits seem pretty cheap, but well built by lookin on the website.

The 55w may be too much heat for how small the housing is. All the trucks that I've seen run the 35w hid's and they put out plenty of light.

I placed an order Heretoday for 9004 hi/lo, 9007 hi/lo, and 880's(all 35w 6k)to go in my brothers 2nd Gen Sport.

I plan to put the hid's in my truck(converted to99-02 Sport hl's & fogs)down the road, it should light up well with the Brite-Box and modified fog light relay.

The 55w may be too much heat for how small the housing is. All the trucks that I've seen run the 35w hid's and they put out plenty of light.

I placed an order Heretoday for 9004 hi/lo, 9007 hi/lo, and 880's(all 35w 6k)to go in my brothers 2nd Gen Sport.

I plan to put the hid's in my truck(converted to99-02 Sport hl's & fogs)down the road, it should light up well with the Brite-Box and modified fog light relay.

I've looked and read about them on the web a few times now. Seem like a pretty decent HID kit from what I've come across. Please post pics and the end result!

63642_1780336834557_1423500056_31945177_7641649_n.jpg

This is the only one I took. It does them no justice. I feel like I just got lasik surgery behind the wheel.
:clap:

Interesting.... I installed one of Retro-Solutions wiring harness's today on my cheap no name HID's I've had for over a year now. No more flickering!!!:woohoo: Well worth the $25!

I was looking at a 9004 Hi/Low kit from Retro...but I'm anxious to hear your feedback on this companies products. :pop:

DDM 55 watt HID with relay harness = $90 shipped

Retro Solutions Digital 55 watt HID with relay harness = $195 shipped

both with Lifetime Warrentys...... :pop:

Last edited:
I can only imagine how bright the 10000K bulbs would be then. The kits seem pretty cheap, but well built by lookin on the website.

Contrary to common sense, the higher the "K", the lower the light emission. The light increases in its purple tint, but actually loses lumens. I use 6000k, and it has just a hint of blue. For perfect white light, the 4300k is the bulb. There is a lower number, not sure what it is, that gives a yellow light. I also run the 6000k in my fogs.

Interesting.... I installed one of Retro-Solutions wiring harness's today on my cheap no name HID's I've had for over a year now. No more flickering!!!:woohoo: Well worth the $25!

I was looking at a 9004 Hi/Low kit from Retro...but I'm anxious to hear your feedback on this companies products. :pop:

DDM 55 watt HID with relay harness = $90 shipped

Retro Solutions Digital 55 watt HID with relay harness = $195 shipped

both with Lifetime Warrentys...... :pop:
They turned out to be a nice kit, the only thing it lacks is instructions, but they do have them on their website. The hi/low kits come with a relay harness, or you can purchase it as an option to a high or low only kit. The 9004/9007 are the same kit, they mount differently in the adapter. My brother put his in the day after Christmas and they work well, I'll try to get some pics of how they work sometime this week.

I'm gonna order the 9004/9007/880's for mine soon, but I've gotta figure out whether I want hi/low kits for both the 9004's and 9007's. Then I'll have to figure out how to modify or get rid of the Brite-Box since it keeps my low beam's lit while my high's are on.

Back