Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Audio, Video, Lighting
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #41
Robts

Name: Robts
Title: Proud Fummins Owner
Member`s Gallery
Well,,,,the doors are ready for primer. The plexi is done and the also the rings. The plan is to mount the speakers to the plexi and the door. The rings will go over the speakers so you wont see the speaker screws. The door will be painted the stock color and the rings and outer design panel will be painted the color of the arm rest which is a little darker. I still got to put in screw sets in the door. They will be ¼-20 screws. Onces the speakers are mounted…we will then silicone the outer sings on…Trust me..they wont move

Here are some pre-primed panels. I will do 2 coats of thick primer before I start block sanding it.

Noticed the plexi underneath the rings and center section. This edge will be lit up blue from mounting blue led inside the rings. you have to look real close to see it now

Click the image to open in full size.

2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Loaded. 6" lift on 35" Toyos on 22x12 gear alloys sold

2004 Ford F350 Lariat with a Fummins **under construction...Money pit

Old 11-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #42
neilden

Name: neilden
Title: ready to kick some ass
Member`s Gallery
Looks good man!!!

Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #43
HOTTAPPER1

Name: HOTTAPPER1
Title: what you looking at!!
Member`s Gallery
unreal!!

06 2500 cummins
2013 250 powerstroke

Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #44
bbbxcursion

Name: bbbxcursion
Title: traitor
Member`s Gallery
Those are gonna look bad ass!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #45
NEVRNF

Name: NEVRNF
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That is impressive. How bad did you have to cut up the metal behind the door panels? Will the factory hooks hold the panel in place or is it screwed to the door structure.
02 Ford Excursion 03 5.9 CR conversion, F1 cam, springs & stg II sticks, ATS Dual Cp3, Floor it pump kit, Air Dog, Garrett stg3 from Turbo Re-Source, BTS trans, Destroked Adapters, PCS Trans Controller, Hypermax Intercooler,EFI Live by Cummins Tuner, 8 lift and 38" tires

Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #46
Robts

Member`s Gallery
There is no metal cut up behind the door. The door panels will hang on the existing hooks....they are not as heavy as they look

2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Loaded. 6" lift on 35" Toyos on 22x12 gear alloys sold

Old 11-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #47
bigblk

Name: bigblk
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robts View Post
Also..let me tell you a huge audio secrete. Using Cyanoacrylate glue and applying accelator is your best friend...a trick my buddy told me. Dries in 10 seconds or less
Thats not a big secret, But Ill tell ya what is; Use hair spray to set your CA glue, Its much cheaper and doesnt form as hard of a shell over CA glue alowwing a deeper penetration of air to have a better set!

BTW; LOOKS AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserbailey View Post
I think it's funny when people call him our first black president. He's 50% European descent and ~8% African descent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtsNhoS View Post
mix a glass of milk with 8% chocolate syrup and what do you get

Old 11-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #48
NEVRNF

Member`s Gallery
I would really love to have a set of door panels like that for my Ex. I have a extra set of front panels. How about i send them and a set of 3 way Focals and you build me something cool.
02 Ford Excursion 03 5.9 CR conversion, F1 cam, springs & stg II sticks, ATS Dual Cp3, Floor it pump kit, Air Dog, Garrett stg3 from Turbo Re-Source, BTS trans, Destroked Adapters, PCS Trans Controller, Hypermax Intercooler,EFI Live by Cummins Tuner, 8 lift and 38" tires

Old 11-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #49
Robts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRNF View Post
I would really love to have a set of door panels like that for my Ex. I have a extra set of front panels. How about i send them and a set of 3 way Focals and you build me something cool.
You want me to tell you material cost or hours...there is an extreme amount of hours in these.

Im only doing this one last tume on the superduty...time to get it done and ready for my next project car....

Old 11-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #50
luke7474

Name: luke7474
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
that looks sick
06 Mega/64over475/Fass 150/60over exergy/Garmon Stg3/Banks Intercooler/Firestone Air bags/3" Thuren lift/Wilson Trasher/Steed Speed/H11 studs/Hamilton 110springs/Dual Cp3s/EFI/Coolant bypass/Hd Pushrods/Over 5k watts stereo/571/980tq ran out of fuel

Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #51
NEVRNF

Member`s Gallery
I am just joking with you.I wish i had the time and the $$$ to do this.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #52
Robts

Member`s Gallery
Well the doors are ready for paint. They will get 2 heavy coats of sandable primer and wet sanded. The speaker rings have screw set in them and were filled after the picture was taken. You will not see any speaker screws and the speakers are mounted from the inside out with screws. I took a side photo so you can finally see the flexi. I will put small Blue LEDs on the inside so the plexi will lit up blue.

The center console is getting better filled in. I got the rough console started so you can see the basic shape. Many more hours of fit and finish need to go onto this

Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #53
OnVacation

Name: OnVacation
Member`s Gallery
i'm totally in awe with your work.

You've got to let all us followers know when your rig is going to be showing up in the magazines. and what issue I need to buy for the glossy final pictures...

Seriously, awesome work!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #54
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Nice!

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #55
Robts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnVacation View Post
i'm totally in awe with your work.

You've got to let all us followers know when your rig is going to be showing up in the magazines. and what issue I need to buy for the glossy final pictures...

Seriously, awesome work!
Thanks for the kind words...the truck has already been in Diesel Power twice and DieselWorld.. i am working out the details of a fourth magazine. They seemed intrested and seems we just have to get it finished...

Old 12-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #56
Robts

Member`s Gallery
Well, got the fitting done on the back wall. Should be real tight. One thing you have to realize is you use a 3 layers of tape between the joints. This will alow for a tight fit once painted. You also need to make sure the joints are blended real good so it looks like it belongs.

I know this looks like a lot of work and well it is. Also supplies have gone through the roof. I have about 15 days in this build. That is working days. I am keeping a long.

Here are the supplies

3 boxes of latex gloves
12 bottle of Cryantic glue and 3 bottle of accelator
4 roles really good thin double sided tape
Air Stapler
1 box of staples
Box of 2” brad nails
Counter sink drill of screws
4 yards of Fleece
10 gallons resin
½ gallon MEKA for mixing resin
40 pound roll of fibraglass
2 different style of resin rollers
10 gallon of duraglass(so far)
40 applicator spreaders
Glue Gun
New Jig saw(burned mine up cutting ¾ plexi)
Lots of jig saw blades
Small D/A sands disc( lots)
Roll of 6” 150 grit sand paper 3M brand
Roll of 6” 120 grit sand paper 3M brand
Box of 40 grit sand paper 3M brand
¼ round over bit for router
3/8 round over bit for router
(3) sheets 3/4" MDF
(3) sheets 1/2" MDF
(1) Sheet 3/8" MDF
(40) paper cups for mixing resin
½ sheet of ¾” plexi
1 sheet of ½ pleix
½ sheet of ¼ black abs plastic
(1) case 2" blue painters tape
(1) case 1/2" blue painter tape
(8) rolls of masking paper
3M resperator paper mask(lots)
500 ft 16 guage street wire speaker wire
Foam gasket for the plexi sub enclosure

There is a lot more to buy….just showing the items so far

I decided not to prime them but have a friend do it for me. I am not sure if I am doing the blocking or have him do it for me. Once they are primed, blocked and wet sanded I will bring it all back for final fit. Still have to decide

Should I paint the door panels the factory grey or body color. Remember the seats, dash are still grey even if I decide to paint them blue like the exterior….any suggestions

Picture from the weekend.

Stay tuned for more excitement

Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #57
98.5_24valve

Name: 98.5_24valve
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robts View Post
Well, got the fitting done on the back wall. Should be real tight. One thing you have to realize is you use a 3 layers of tape between the joints. This will alow for a tight fit once painted. You also need to make sure the joints are blended real good so it looks like it belongs.

I know this looks like a lot of work and well it is. Also supplies have gone through the roof. I have about 15 days in this build. That is working days. I am keeping a long.

Here are the supplies

3 boxes of latex gloves
12 bottle of Cryantic glue and 3 bottle of accelator
4 roles really good thin double sided tape
Air Stapler
1 box of staples
Box of 2” brad nails
Counter sink drill of screws
4 yards of Fleece
10 gallons resin
½ gallon MEKA for mixing resin
40 pound roll of fibraglass
2 different style of resin rollers
10 gallon of duraglass(so far)
40 applicator spreaders
Glue Gun
New Jig saw(burned mine up cutting ¾ plexi)
Lots of jig saw blades
Small D/A sands disc( lots)
Roll of 6” 150 grit sand paper 3M brand
Roll of 6” 120 grit sand paper 3M brand
Box of 40 grit sand paper 3M brand
¼ round over bit for router
3/8 round over bit for router
(3) sheets 3/4" MDF
(3) sheets 1/2" MDF
(1) Sheet 3/8" MDF
(40) paper cups for mixing resin
½ sheet of ¾” plexi
1 sheet of ½ pleix
½ sheet of ¼ black abs plastic
(1) case 2" blue painters tape
(1) case 1/2" blue painter tape
(8) rolls of masking paper
3M resperator paper mask(lots)
500 ft 16 guage street wire speaker wire
Foam gasket for the plexi sub enclosure

There is a lot more to buy….just showing the items so far

I decided not to prime them but have a friend do it for me. I am not sure if I am doing the blocking or have him do it for me. Once they are primed, blocked and wet sanded I will bring it all back for final fit. Still have to decide

Should I paint the door panels the factory grey or body color. Remember the seats, dash are still grey even if I decide to paint them blue like the exterior….any suggestions

Picture from the weekend.

Stay tuned for more excitement

I think you should paint them factory interior colors imo. It would look so clean and custom that people wont have to be distracted by fancy blue colors. Just seems classier to have everything match. Just my Great job though! How do you start your curves in your boxes? Did you stretch polyester carpet to the shape you wanted, then lay resin over it until it gets hard, then fiberglass over that? Curious because I am going to build a similar console just NOT as large as yours lol, and I would like to use fiberglass for the first time. However, I will be wrapping mine in leather. Good luck with the build!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #58
Robts

Member`s Gallery
Well…Everything is finally fitted and ready for the paint shop. This Friday I am sending it. To understand on how I fit the pieces, I put three layers of tape between the joints that represent paint. This way I have a tight fit and you wont see the lines too much. Also if you noticed, I did a final sand between pieces to ensure the blend proper. I also removed the oval which also has three layers of tape. I will keep that later as a template for the lighted plexi insert. Lastly, notice how long the PPI Amps, A A1200 and A404 linked together will look. Remember I am also installing two PPI A600’s on the back wall. All amps will mount on Plexi that will be oversized of the amp and also be frosted and lit with blue LEDs so the plexi glows Blue. Now I have to get the underside of the box and inside show quality so it looks good. The sub enclosure is a clear bltx behind that blue tape. You will also see the underneath where the subs are since its lifted. This is plenty to do while at the paint shop

Finally one more joint trying to match it up

Stay tuned

Old 12-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #59
Robts

Member`s Gallery
Finally dropped stuff off to the paint shop. Once they have the back wall and center consol primed, blocked and finished sanded i will go pick them up for a final test fit. I have Denz Place in Lindan Michigan painted the stuff. The owner Dennis used to work for me as an engineer and decided to leave the industry and pursue his passion. He always restored classic cars and with his boys graduating he decided to open a shop. Its a hour and half drive for me but its all about trust.

Hope to have preliminary pictures soon

I have tones to do in the mean time. I haveto clean thetruck and also.finish the inside and bottom of the box........run wires.....ect

Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #60
RJM06590

Name: RJM06590
Title: What to do
Member`s Gallery
Awesome build man.

93 Ford F250 plow truck
Click the image to open in full size.<Theoretic Designs! Thank you!
http://robsdiesel.com/

Closed Thread