Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > AGCO/Gleaner
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
EnduringAtlas

Name: EnduringAtlas
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Agco 5670

Hi guys, My brother in law is in the market for a newer tractor. There is a Agco 5670 locally that has about 5000hrs on it. It has a quicke 310 loader, 4wd and is open station. Checks all the boxes of what he needs.

The main uses for this tractor would be the typical hobby/horse farm work; putting out hay, blowing snow, firewood, bush hogging, fencing jobs, moving dirt, ect.

I'm looking for some insight in to weather these are a reasonable tractor from people with first hand experience with them. What is a lot of hours for one and what are common points of wear or breakage to inspect?

Another question I have is weather or not this tractor would be able to handle a Case SB541 small square baler. The case site states that 75 pto hp is required and the 5670 has only 63 pto hp according to tractor data. From research I've done it looks like the 5670 and the 5680 use the same engine, so I was wondering if the 5670 could be turned up to 75 pto hp and if it could, would the rest of the drive line handle it fine?

Thanks in advance for any input. Attached is the ad for the tractor.
Agco 5670 Tractor

Old 01-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
BRE

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
You’ll have one of the best guys in here to tell you sometime. Chris will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 01-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Sold a ton of those back in the 90's.

Here's what I can tell you.

Engines are Rock solid, as long as it's CLEAN. It's air cooled, so any oil leak will clog up the cooling fins and can cause hot spots in cylinders. So, try to pull the side panels off, and there is a plastic air box cover to take off and look at the side of the sleeves to see if it's clean. Dust and dirt are fine as long is there is no oil for it to stick to.

Transmissions are pretty good, but all mechanical...So, with a loader on it, see how the clutch feels. Clutches take a beating with loader tractors, and with 5000 hours, it should have already been replaced. The clutch is hydraulic like a truck, so they can be a little tricky to work on if the flywheel has been cut, but not impossible.

I've never worked on a front axle or rear end, as long as it has oil in it, no problems. Same with the hydraulic systems, but we have changed a pump here or there. 2 separate pumps, one for steering, one for the rest of the hydraulics...both external, and not ridiculously expensive.

Here's the weak point...Electrical system. Tractor was built in Italy, and if you know anything about Italian electricity, it's crap. If everything is working great, if it's not, usually you start re wiring it. However, it is a later tractor, and could have GM style fuses, so look in the fuse box and see if it looks American or has goofy Italian fuses. Not a killer, but if you want to keep everything working expect to do a bit of wiring work.

As for handling that baler, it's 63 PTO HP new....will that run a small square, ABSOLUTELY... Will it run it as fast as you can drive, no. But if you want to bale it will absolutely run it, and do a fine job. Will also be very frugal on fuel. Can it be turned up, sure...but that's a bit tricky. It has 1 injection pump per cylinder (unit injection) and each one would have to be adjusted.

I prefer undersized HP on balers vs throwing a ton of power to them...makes the baler a lot happier, and lets parts live longer. I can look at a baler and tell you how much tractor was on the front of it by how things wear.

What else would you like to know?
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
EnduringAtlas

Member`s Gallery
Thank you very much Chris for all the info! It is very much appreciated, the Brother in law went and looked at it quickly today on his lunch break but didn't get a chance to run it. If we both have time on Saturday we'll take a look and I'll be sure to check out the cooling fins and see what the fuse panel looks like.

Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
EnduringAtlas

Member`s Gallery
My Brother in law picked the tractor up yesterday, the previous weekend we went and gave it a good look and a bit of a run. I swung over on my way home from work yesterday and we hooked the blower on. We've had a big thaw the past couple of days so it was more of a preemptive measure for now. Didn't really get to test it yet.

He should be getting a 2 prong bale fork today, but won't be needing to put hay out for a few days yet as He and my Sister rolled a bale out by hand on Sunday for the horses.

Everything works as it should apart from a few lights (wires on one and a bulb on the other) and is a far better suit to what they need to do with it than the MF135 they have is.

I think they'll be happy for a long time with this tractor and I'd like to thank Chris for all the knowledge he shared. It was very helpful and also reassuring to have before making the purchase.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
No problem. Yell if you need.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension