Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > EFI Live Tuning Discussion (Cummins)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
PDXFactory

Name: PDXFactory
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
2007 5.9L CR - SKIM Delete?

Hey gang,

I've been lurking around the board trying to find answers to my many questions, but haven't had much luck. Hoping someone here can give me a little guidance (and this is the right sub forum for the question!).

I have a wrecked 2007 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9L CR engine. I'm going to be swapping it into a 1970 Ford F250, and I'm working on thinning out the wiring harness at the moment. I have a Flashscan V3 from EFI Live and have been trying to disable the SKIM module so I can eliminate it. Here's what I've done:

- Pull stock tune
- Change E6510 (Vehicle Anti-Theft) to Disabled
- Flash modified tune to ECM

This process went fine, but I did the whole thing with the SKIM module still plugged in. When I unplugged it I get the security light on, and a no-crank result. I repeated the above process after unplugging the module, and still have the same result (red light on, no crank at all). I pulled the battery cables and held them together to reset the TIPM based on more reading, and still no change.

I'm under the impression that guys are disabling the security on a normal basis, particularly for swaps. What am I doing wrong here? Are there other areas that need to be modified to eliminate SKIM? (I can't find any in EFI Live.) I've read in the past that people used stock C&C tunes to eliminate the anti theft. I read out the code I uploaded and it still shows the anti theft as disabled. VIN is also correct (all stock components and ECM). Is security stored elsewhere at all?

Long term I may build my own stand alone harness if I can convince myself that TIPM is not needed and I can still control the 48RE. Just trying to eliminate the security issue first!

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
PDXFactory

Member`s Gallery
I've continued to work on this one, and have posted a similar question on a couple of other Cummins forums. I'm feeling like deleting SKIM is like fight club - those who know about it don't talk about it! (Possibly because it is a service people charge for?) Or, maybe most people are not doing this since they aren't swapping the Cummins into other vehicles.

I pulled another stock 2007 tune from links found in the EFI Live forums (old tunefiledepot files). It came with the E6510 (Vehicle Anti-Theft) set to Disabled, I changed the VIN and flashed it into the truck with the SKIM module unplugged. Same results as before - no crank and security light on solid. I followed this by pulling all of the battery cables and touching them together to reset the TIPM. No change there either.

I started thinking that maybe the wiring needed to be plugged in even if the module was inactive. So, I dismantled the key and put the guts far away, plugged the SKIM module back in and it started but died 3 seconds later (typical SKIM result when the module doesn't get the right signal). Put the guts back in and it starts and runs fine.

I was under the impression that EFI Live could disable vehicle security / SKIM. If anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it!

Old 06-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
tylerltr450

Name: tylerltr450
Title: Wanna Be Hacker
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXFactory View Post
I've continued to work on this one, and have posted a similar question on a couple of other Cummins forums. I'm feeling like deleting SKIM is like fight club - those who know about it don't talk about it! (Possibly because it is a service people charge for?) Or, maybe most people are not doing this since they aren't swapping the Cummins into other vehicles.

I pulled another stock 2007 tune from links found in the EFI Live forums (old tunefiledepot files). It came with the E6510 (Vehicle Anti-Theft) set to Disabled, I changed the VIN and flashed it into the truck with the SKIM module unplugged. Same results as before - no crank and security light on solid. I followed this by pulling all of the battery cables and touching them together to reset the TIPM. No change there either.

I started thinking that maybe the wiring needed to be plugged in even if the module was inactive. So, I dismantled the key and put the guts far away, plugged the SKIM module back in and it started but died 3 seconds later (typical SKIM result when the module doesn't get the right signal). Put the guts back in and it starts and runs fine.

I was under the impression that EFI Live could disable vehicle security / SKIM. If anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it!
Are you using the TIPM?

I just worked on a Fummins swap and it worked perfectly with the TIPMS used
Sounds also like AlfaOBD might be your friend to disable some features

Custom EFI Live Tuning
FullPullPerformance@gmail.com

Last edited by tylerltr450; 06-17-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #4
PDXFactory

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerltr450 View Post
Are you using the TIPM?

I just worked on a Fummins swap and it worked perfectly with the TIPMS used
Thanks for the reply!

I'm still using the TIPM, but still haven't had success in removing the SKIM.

I'm curious, was there a particular order of operations to get it to work? Are you simply unplugging the SKIM module, flashing the ECM, and it's good to go? Was the ECM and TIPM both from the original truck?

I've been trying different methods to get it to work, including resetting the TIPM by connecting the battery cables for quite a while. When I pull the tune back out of the ECM it still shows Vehicle Anti Theft as disabled. Others I've talked to have said that as long as the ECM is unlocked it should work fine. I've also been told that I should be able to completely bypass the TIPM and that may solve my issues, but I'd prefer to resolve the SKIM issue first.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
tylerltr450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I'm curious, was there a particular order of operations to get it to work? Are you simply unplugging the SKIM module, flashing the ECM, and it's good to go? Was the ECM and TIPM both from the original truck?

I've been trying different methods to get it to work, including resetting the TIPM by connecting the battery cables for quite a while. When I pull the tune back out of the ECM it still shows Vehicle Anti Theft as disabled. Others I've talked to have said that as long as the ECM is unlocked it should work fine. I've also been told that I should be able to completely bypass the TIPM and that may solve my issues, but I'd prefer to resolve the SKIM issue first.
Is your TIPMs out of the original truck that the ECM came from?

Custom EFI Live Tuning

Old 06-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
tylerltr450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

@pdx send me the tune that you have adjusted and lets see if there is something else maybe you are missing.

Custom EFI Live Tuning

Old 06-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
PDXFactory

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
@pdx send me the tune that you have adjusted and lets see if there is something else maybe you are missing.
Files sent from my gmail address to the email address listed on your profile - thanks again for offering to check them out!!

The system is still in the vehicle as I purchased it (I bought a whole running wrecked truck). The only thing I've done is get rid of a bunch of the interior wiring. Everything else is still connected as it came from the factory.

Thanks!
Marcus

Old 06-17-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
tylerltr450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Files sent from my gmail address to the email address listed on your profile - thanks again for offering to check them out!!

The system is still in the vehicle as I purchased it (I bought a whole running wrecked truck). The only thing I've done is get rid of a bunch of the interior wiring. Everything else is still connected as it came from the factory.

Thanks!
Marcus
Tune file looks good however I am having a hard time understanding your workflow.

Please list down clearly how you got the truck to start and run for 3 seconds?
Unplugging Skim module? Plugging in Skim module.

I was reading the thread and you listed you plugged the skim in the truck ran for 3 seconds. then you plugged the skim in again.

(So, I dismantled the key and put the guts far away, plugged the SKIM module back in and it started but died 3 seconds later (typical SKIM result when the module doesn't get the right signal). Put the guts back in and it starts and runs fine.)

Custom EFI Live Tuning

Old 06-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
PDXFactory

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Tune file looks good however I am having a hard time understanding your workflow.

Please list down clearly how you got the truck to start and run for 3 seconds?
Unplugging Skim module? Plugging in Skim module.

I was reading the thread and you listed you plugged the skim in the truck ran for 3 seconds. then you plugged the skim in again.

(So, I dismantled the key and put the guts far away, plugged the SKIM module back in and it started but died 3 seconds later (typical SKIM result when the module doesn't get the right signal). Put the guts back in and it starts and runs fine.)
Here's the process I used yesterday:

1. Unplug SKIM module on column.
2. Clamp pos & neg battery cables together for ~2 hours to reset TIPM
3. Flash ECM w/ CSP5 tune with vehicle anti theft disabled
4. Repeat TIPM reset (just for fun)
5. Attempt to start truck...resulting in no-crank, red security light on
6. Plug SKIM module back in, first time it dies after 3 seconds with security light on. Second time it runs as normal.

Basically the same issue I've been having. The flash proceeds with no issues, and when I read it back out it shows the VATS as disabled. I have to assume that the actual vehicle anti theft programming must also exist in the TIPM or in the gauge cluster, and I'm not actually resetting it.

(The process you quoted above was just my attempt to understand if any of the other wires going to the SKIM module actually needed to be connected - rather than unplugging the SKIM I removed the module from the key.)

I'm open to ideas! Thanks again for taking a look at the tune Tyler!

Old 06-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #10
tylerltr450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Here's the process I used yesterday:

1. Unplug SKIM module on column.
2. Clamp pos & neg battery cables together for ~2 hours to reset TIPM
3. Flash ECM w/ CSP5 tune with vehicle anti theft disabled
4. Repeat TIPM reset (just for fun)
5. Attempt to start truck...resulting in no-crank, red security light on
6. Plug SKIM module back in, first time it dies after 3 seconds with security light on. Second time it runs as normal.

Basically the same issue I've been having. The flash proceeds with no issues, and when I read it back out it shows the VATS as disabled. I have to assume that the actual vehicle anti theft programming must also exist in the TIPM or in the gauge cluster, and I'm not actually resetting it.

(The process you quoted above was just my attempt to understand if any of the other wires going to the SKIM module actually needed to be connected - rather than unplugging the SKIM I removed the module from the key.)

I'm open to ideas! Thanks again for taking a look at the tune Tyler!

Try and unplugging the Dash and SKIM. The Fummins I did only has TIPMS and ECM nothing else.

Custom EFI Live Tuning

Old 06-21-2021, 08:18 PM   #11
PDXFactory

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Try and unplugging the Dash and SKIM. The Fummins I did only has TIPMS and ECM nothing else.
I did this tonight, and still ended up with a no-crank result. Funny, I'm not getting any DTC's that say anything about SKIM / VAT at this point, but clearly it has kicked in...right? DTC's after the tune with the gauge cluster removed / no crank situation were:

U0121 Lost communication with ABS module (it has been unplugged)
U1403 Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received (not plugged in)
U1421 Implausible Ignition Key Off Time Received

That is key on/engine off.

Plugged the SKIM module back in and it started right away, adding a U0513 Invalid SKIM Key code. So that must not pop up until it is running. Once cleared it doesn't re-appear.

I am back to assuming this is a TIPM issue. Thoughts? Ill check out ALFAOBD per your suggestion and see what I need to run it.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #12
tylerltr450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I did this tonight, and still ended up with a no-crank result. Funny, I'm not getting any DTC's that say anything about SKIM / VAT at this point, but clearly it has kicked in...right? DTC's after the tune with the gauge cluster removed / no crank situation were:

U0121 Lost communication with ABS module (it has been unplugged)
U1403 Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received (not plugged in)
U1421 Implausible Ignition Key Off Time Received

That is key on/engine off.

Plugged the SKIM module back in and it started right away, adding a U0513 Invalid SKIM Key code. So that must not pop up until it is running. Once cleared it doesn't re-appear.

I am back to assuming this is a TIPM issue. Thoughts? Ill check out ALFAOBD per your suggestion and see what I need to run it.
When you flash the ECM are you leaving the SKIM plugged in?

Have you tried to flash the ECM with the SKIM turned off and SKIM unplugged

Also try flashing in a manual tune with SKIM unplugged and try that.

Custom EFI Live Tuning

Last edited by tylerltr450; 06-22-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
PDXFactory

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
When you flash the ECM are you leaving the SKIM plugged in?

Have you tried to flash the ECM with the SKIM turned off and SKIM unplugged

Also try flashing in a manual tune with SKIM unplugged and try that.
No, I'm flashing with the SKIM module unplugged every time. In my last effort I also unplugged the gauge cluster.

I'm planning on running the stock Dodge 48RE, so I'm not sure what I'd gain from flashing in a manual tune (other than it possibly running!).

Old 06-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #14
tylerltr450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
No, I'm flashing with the SKIM module unplugged every time. In my last effort I also unplugged the gauge cluster.

I'm planning on running the stock Dodge 48RE, so I'm not sure what I'd gain from flashing in a manual tune (other than it possibly running!).
That is why I want to see if flashing a manual tune might allow it to run since I have always done swaps without the 48re.

Custom EFI Live Tuning

Old 10-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
apples24v

Name: apples24v
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I don’t believe you can disable the skim with efi live, few years back lost my only key to the truck ����*♂️. Talked to tuners about turning it off so I wouldn’t have to pay you have a new $280 key cut and they said they couldn’t do it. That was years ago and many many firmware updates ago so things may have changed, have you posted on efi’s actual forum? Hope you figure it out, if you do post how

01 QCLB 5-speed, Valair ceramic single disk, quad adrn, DDP 150's,Tunnel ram, pusher manifold, 3.5' piping, AEM intake, Fluidampr, 08+ steering

Closed Thread