271 front d-line clearance

Fueler

I have been reading about the clocking difference in the Dodge 271 and the Ford 271. I would have just posted in the original threads but they are all closed?? Anyway,
In my '01 6sp truck the 271 bolted right up with no frame clearance issues. However, now the front output is so low that my front d-line will not clear the tranny crossmember. I have a clocking ring, but unsure as to how much strength will be lost by removing 3/4 inch of engagment from the input. I'd rather clock this thing up a bit higher, ground clearance is my friend where this thing goes. Anybody have any pics they can post up?

Attachments

• 2012-07-02_12-51-35_977.jpg
    2012-07-02_12-51-35_977.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0
It sounds like you were in the same boat I was - Ford case?

I wound up buying the front half for the Dodge, as I didn't want to put a clocking ring in.

I ended up getting a new crossmember fabbed up. Solved the clearance issue and the stock crossmember is a PITA and not a great design IMO

It sounds like you were in the same boat I was - Ford case?

I wound up buying the front half for the Dodge, as I didn't want to put a clocking ring in.

It must be, I got it from Transfercase Express and he gave me a clocking ring with it.

I ended up getting a new crossmember fabbed up. Solved the clearance issue and the stock crossmember is a PITA and not a great design IMO
Do you have any pics? I think im not going to do that since this truck is getting setup for remote access camping and I dont want that big aluminum chunk hanging that low.

I had the same problem in my 02. My case was from a dodge. However, I never had a problem when my truck was a 6 speed. I swapped to an automatic and then I ran into clearance issues. I shimmed my tranny mount up 1/2 and that seemed to fix it. Eventually I want to fab up a new crossmember to eliminate the spacer.

can some of you guys post pictures of how your case is clocked.

I just pulled mine out today to use the clocking ring that t-case express gave me to hopefully flatten it out a bit. I notched the frame, trimmed the ridges in the body, shaved down a few choice spots on the case only to fine the clocking ring only will mount one way to the case and one way to the tranny. WTF? looks like one hole is off by a few degrees. If I used the clocking ring I have that front output would be in the cab with me. Im scouring the internet to see if I can find an answer to the Ford/Dodge differences but im coming up empty.

My goal here is to clock this t-case up and flat so i dont have a giant aluminum anchor hanging down there like a set of those gay ass truck nutz:doh:

Here are some pics, not the best but you can see i have almost 3in clearance between the driveline and crossmember now

Attachments

• IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3212.jpg
    IMG_3212.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3211.jpg
    IMG_3211.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
Back