Best diesel tranny?

CSAKing

alright well im doin a little research and i wanna know who makes the best diesel tranny? (chevys allison, ford, or dodge) i know everyone leans a little towards there brand but i was just wondering?

i dont think there is a "best" they all have their strong points and weak points...just my .02

RacinDuallie said:

X2, All of the big 3 have great transmissions now. I get a little tired of hearing all the hype over the "almighty allison". I really like the way the new 68rfe feels in the 6.7 cummins. The shifts feel much better than they do in the allison. I HATE the way a stock allison feels when shifting. I like a good frim crisp shift.

wideopen said:
As stated above there isn't a good Stock Tranny.

I don't agree with that Phil unless you consider a transmission with a SCT tune as not stock anymore.
I can only speak for the TQshift but I am very pleased with how this transmission performs. It has held up to three years of 400+ hp without a hiccup.
Just my experience

ok well what is the strongest built tranny then like an allison from ATS or what? just wondering what yall think

Remember that Buck's Dmax just ditched the Allison for a Dodge 47re because they couldn't get the Allison to hold together with the HP they were making...

Lavon

nummit said:
I don't agree with that Phil unless you consider a transmission with a SCT tune as not stock anymore.
I can only speak for the TQshift but I am very pleased with how this transmission performs. It has held up to three years of 400+ hp without a hiccup.
Just my experience

You have a time bomb Pete.

I'm happy with My Allison, Now that It's been Suncoast enhanced..but as far as a stock tranny with any power behind it being good I don't personally believe there is one. A stock diesel engine hooked to a stock tranny I guess they all have advantages and disadvantages, but if stock tranny last for any time with any power behind it, I would concider that person luck....or they haven't let me drive it..LOL

The BTS 4r100 is tough to beat, I've had a few (5) trannys in my truck and the rod went before the tranny this time. Its really awesome, it shifts like a car, you cant even tell it shifts when your going down the track. It's like one gear the whole time and you don't lose power when it shifts either if you have great tuning like have. It's also less than half the price of an ATS Allison and Brian can bolt the 4r100 to the other motors as well. However I haven't ran an ATS in my truck, but if you don't care to drop $8500 I know a guy that is putting 1300hp+ to a Billet ATS with a Duramax and as far as I know it is still working for him.

1300+Hp with a Duramax? Sounds a little high, do tell who it is and how he came up with this number?

i know the HTS 48re's can handle a pretty good beating there are alot of hts trannys in sled pullers and drag racers.

CSAKing said:
ok well what is the strongest built tranny then like an allison from ATS or what? just wondering what yall think

Street truck or drag truck? If it's a street truck, does it need to pull anything?

SKYNYRD said:
i know the HTS 48re's can handle a pretty good beating there are alot of hts trannys in sled pullers and drag racers.
Rumor has it, that HTS is only a re-named Sun Coast trans... I know the parts they advertise on there web site have sun coast writen all over it. Sun Coast makes a great trans.$.02

-Rob

any of the trannies in stock trim are not going to be that strong, but asking what aftermarket company makes the best, you are going to get a hundred different answers, i deal alot with suncoast and my customers are happy, but i have delt with DTS, Banks(mostly taken their stuff out), and ATS, with various degrees of success.

Back