Any benefit in using Alum/Stain tubing?

Horns

\m/(>.<)\m/
I will be working on intercooler piping on my swapped engine soon and I plan to do twins some time in the future so I figured I would come here to sort out a few of my questions.

First off, for the cold pipes I plan on buying mandrel bent tubing, welding it together, and smoothing the welds down before I paint them. Would there be any real benefit in using aluminum or stainless tubing if I'm going to paint them anyways? would normal old mandrel bent exhaust tubing work just fine?

Second, for the hot pipes when I get to doing my twins, should the material for them be any different in thickness? I would think just normal exhaust tubing would work but I want to make sure.

On the cold pipe. Its whatever you can work with easiest. If your going to paint it, steel is the cheapest.

Hotpipe needs to be sched 40 steel. 16ga tubing will work but I'm not sure for how long.

Thanks for the quick reply! That's pretty much everything I needed to know. I appreciate it!

Oh, one last thing though. Are there any cheap tools for expanding the little ridge into the pipe where the silicone clamps on?

Harbor freight has them. Bead roller (?) You'll have to make a tab to bolt it together. It has to be forces to make a bead in 16ga pipe. LOL

Thanks for the quick reply! That's pretty much everything I needed to know. I appreciate it!

Oh, one last thing though. Are there any cheap tools for expanding the little ridge into the pipe where the silicone clamps on?

or turn the power down and wire speed up on a mig and make a bead, homebrew style!

Back