Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2017, 04:30 AM   #681
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Yes, XPI is nice, but can you ever beat Sigma pumps with your modern technology ?

I dont know why but no one gets any power out of Euro3 cams, only smoke and high EGT.
Yes, XPI is nice, but can you ever beat Sigma pumps with your modern technology ? Well time will tell. . For now we got some power almost no smoke and a pistonring seal problem on the new engine so we got some work to do.

I dont know why but no one gets any power out of Euro3 cams, only smoke and high EGT. Well maybe unable to master the fuel system than. So many from Scandinavia asked us what we are using and doing but the simple fact is we can build stuff but not a lot are willing to pay for it. Fact is to make good power no smoke and low EGT you need to chance cams as you need to get the fuel in a lot faster. Same thing is we can build a 30% bigger injector but for a daily use truck it will not run clean on low end power having low boost as the OE cams do not provide the plunger travel speed to run clean. We also know how to get a load more fuel out of a OE injector but this will only happen for the most part above 2100Rpm.
So there are plenty of options.

Last edited by tall boy; 04-03-2017 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #682
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
Cool stuff!
Old 04-08-2017, 04:11 AM   #683
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Nr2 Pulling Truck got a construction problem we need to solve on the small end conrod. Seems I need to spend more time on the mechanical engineering side of things to prevent this.
Also data from the last run indicates we are using all the fuel coming from the hi pressure pumps missing 700 to 1000Bar pressure so we have do some modification to the pumps and test these on the race trucks as there are using the same fuel system so lucky we can combine things between different motor sports.

Nr3 truck did very well. Seems we build an PD engine that makes a lot more torque but still have no data on low end power so we need to discover what it can handle but yes very happy with the second place last night unable to get more traction on this type of clay track but where able to pas the teams using 18L+ engines displacement with our 16.4L V8.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #684
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Cummins M11 Select injector testing duel pulse mode

The Cummins M11 is still a very popular engine used by many truck race teams in the UK so why not build an diesel ECM system for the Cummins select range engines. Will this make more power? Think not but this will give the teams the option to make changes to the engine calibration and optimise power as some teams have a ECM that good for low end power and one for hi end power so why not get both in one ECM box. All it is giving the teams control over there engine and give them the option for active boost control EGT and EMP and speed limiting and the list goes on.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #685
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Just ended a great weekend of semi truck racing.

On my agenda where testing the hi pressure fuelpump and able to get some more fuel out making some modifications on the XPI fuel system but still 300 to 500Bar or 4351 to 7251PSI short on fuel pressure to support the hi flow injector.

The better the fuel injection system get the more critical begin injection will become and CR did play a bigger part in this as expected. The two race engines are still stock so fairly hi compression ratio compared to the rally engines we build last year but manage to get a load more power drop EGT 50 degrees went from a 18AFR to a 16 AFR fuel ratio just by injecting more fuel in a shorter time due to hi flow of the injector but still the goal is to hit 14.7AFR so 1.3 parts of air need to be burned by getting the commonrail fuel pressure up so bigger fuelpump needed. So very happy with the results and able to use them on the V8 puller engine as well but looking into replacing the hi pressure pumps ASAP as the engine is still under repair from the small end damage to the pistons and as new part are made for this we now have some time left to make changes.

This is how you test an engine using the rear breaks and read the data from the ECU and walk away with a smile thumps up problem fixed.

Plump injector setting on the ECU. Only start of injection and injection angle and that’s it for fuel timing and metering as the rest of the calculation is done by the ECU. Also this calibration as the option for two power settings.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #686
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
You guys are nuts! Lol. I love it.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #687
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
We have done it! Now running first pace in the championship but many more event to go so we got some more work to do on the pulling track.

They call this a clay track but no traction what so ever so it’s all in the balance of the Semi Truck and tyre pressure and using the correct gear ratio as for not digging a hole lowering the hook due to sinking down throwing up a wall of clay in front of the pulling sled. Last run was like a super slomo floating finish getting first place with 16,57 meter more distance as NR2.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:54 AM   #688
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
New build Cross car 4X4 with a 2.5L TDI diesel engine. Customer reinstalled the diesel ECU system and engine did smoke after making massive boost. Look @ the data file and notice jumps in RPM indicating reluctor wire could be swapped and yes after it run like crazy and that’s getting use to I think but is very fast having this massive torque over 800Nm.

Bit old school for me Cummins 5.9l 6BTA with a S366SX-E on it.

Our Scania Torpedo V8 still running strong still holding NR1 in the championship having a second place yesterday. Yes I’m a happy man.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #689
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
Challenge was to get the Bint race truck with a Detroit 60 series engine fit to perform regarding the ECU setting needed to make more power and less smoke as last year running a modified standard ECU. Think it went well as he now behind Makinen with the Black Sisu truck and second in the championship B division. So I’m happy.
What do you not like about the Detroit ECU? I think it's pretty powerful for an OEM ECU. Lots of things can be done. But for a racing team that uses an aftermarket ECU normally I can see how the Detroit ECU can be a PITA.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #690
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
What do you not like about the Detroit ECU? I think it's pretty powerful for an OEM ECU. Lots of things can be done. But for a racing team that uses an aftermarket ECU normally I can see how the Detroit ECU can be a PITA.
It’s not about what I like. It’s what my customers do not like about the OE ECU’s in general.
The simple thing is your not able to own or alter your engine settings if unable to make changes to the OE ECU so what do you get after spending a load of money time and again on getting some else making the a chance to the settings???
Second thing is able to data log from the ECU also some stuff that’s not even engine related as for road and GPS speed for example.

Still working on a load of projects with maybe one thing in common injector nozzle hole size dos matter but will it be small or big? And why? Even using R&D factory unit pumps used for truck racing in the past giving a load of fuel.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #691
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
You can datalog on a Detroit but you need the laptop hooked up as there's no internal storage
Old 06-21-2017, 03:19 AM   #692
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Well in general there are discussions on what a OE ECU for ECM can handle or not. On some the end stages do not like hi RPM and some are not able to calculate or go out of range or not very willing on shifting a decimal point for example. Most CAT and Detroit Diesel ECU/ECM I build I never see these engines in real live as located in US and Canada but teamview is a handy tool for changing the set-up and some want insane things like running a CAT C18 at 4000RPM, well yes possible the ECU can handle it easy but will the engine hold this RPM??????? But it’s also do you want the ECU to read turbo speed and control the wastegates on turbo speed or do you want to have this control on a separate controller? Same goes with data logging. Most data loggers are dead slow getting real engine data from the can communication missing out important data.

A perfect example is this DAF semi puller where I installed a plug and play diesel test system on that we normally use for breaking in engine after an overhaul. It’s an universal ECU system for testing diesel engines that we sell to workshops so they can run there engine on the dyno without a load of wire loom and other problems. On this truck the OE factory race ECU is a hand full and we know things go wrong in the calculation as well so it’s an easy one for us to prove we can do better.

With our own Scania semi puller its not going as planed. For the 18.4L commonrail engine we are waiting for parts.
The Torpedo did very well first 3 events holding 1 but place currently back on 3 place due to a balance problem at the start of the pull where the truck start jumping. The 16.4L V8 has a load more power but if we can not create wheel spin from the start it kicks up the front so we have a semi that able to create a load of traction on the track and now we need to find a way to find a fine balance.

Jumping at the start.

This is what you get if the pulling sled is unable to handle the traction/pulling power of these semi trucks. Pushdown on the sled at 50 meters. Manage to get second place but had to shift half a gear down to prevent jumping at the start but OK I’m happy with the result unable to use full engine power.

We also have this Semi Truck caled Murphy's Law, Peterbilt 379 Detroit Diesel V8 MTU 2000 8V engine. They had a load of problems with the engine but slowly it’s getting better and maybe this week I’m able to pump some more power out of this V8.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #693
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
Well in general there are discussions on what a OE ECU for ECM can handle or not. On some the end stages do not like hi RPM and some are not able to calculate or go out of range or not very willing on shifting a decimal point for example. Most CAT and Detroit Diesel ECU/ECM I build I never see these engines in real live as located in US and Canada but teamview is a handy tool for changing the set-up and some want insane things like running a CAT C18 at 4000RPM, well yes possible the ECU can handle it easy but will the engine hold this RPM??????? But it’s also do you want the ECU to read turbo speed and control the wastegates on turbo speed or do you want to have this control on a separate controller? Same goes with data logging. Most data loggers are dead slow getting real engine data from the can communication missing out important data.
Detroit ECU can control boost with the VNT logic. Even the older ECU software levels on engines without VNT still had the logic. I'm wanting to run an external 2 port wastegate off of it as we've discussed in the past. Engine RPM is an issue I suppose. The datalink is j1587 for logging so it works well. You can manipulate any input to have things like exhaust temp. But I agree everything is nowhere near as user friendly as an aftermarket computer. I'm currently tuning a 1300 HP gas engine with Holley HP EFI and it is so easy in comparison it isn't even funny!

I'm also looking to build my own boost controller.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #694
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Well you will be surprised how easy it is to tune fuel on the latest software we made for the CAT and Detroit Diesel ECU. As it’s PD you only need to set start of injection and injection duration in crank angle. For messing about with the toque demand settings you need to know a bit what your doing as you can set specific power response this way but this makes diesel engine for what it is, more faster better control on power delivery as to gas engines.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #695
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
18.4L commonrail is up and running again and we did only one pull as we want to inspect the engine if we have any damage like we had before.
Engine runs different now and the data look good but we know we need more fuel from the fuel hi pressure pumps as we are 900Bar short of target pressure but like to take it step by step. Almost no smoke and makes decent power so I’m happy.

Also manage to get some more hi end power out of the D16G Volvo engine. This Semi sport truck is 2x national champ for the last years but the competition is not resting building better and bigger engines so we had to do something. Went for bigger nozzle 30% more fuel. Did not work. Went for more fuel pressure and 20% more fuel so 10% down in fuel. Did not work. Went back in nozzle hole size and power was back as last year but wanted more hi end so changed the ECU settings and the date logs gave the conformation. Went from a 14.7 AFR to a 13AFR EGT 5 degrees centigrade down same boost pressure but the S500SX-E we use dos give more hi and air mass compared to the S500SX so yes I’m happy.

Maybe it’s my personal thing but running a load of PD injector projects you get some idée and feeling what is going on. In general performance goes down and turbo damage up while stepping up nozzle hole size if your camshaft dos not provide the fast lift on the injector pumps and all you get is black smoke and even de AFR numbers will fool you as you get an indication of burning more air mass but question is where dos it burn. EGT will provide some information on this.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #696
Broaner

Name: Broaner
Title: Been There n Broke That
Member`s Gallery
Wow awesome stuff! In for the read.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #697
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Onboard the MVJ2 Semi TruckPuller. The very aggressive rpm governing is the antilag or ALS kicking in and notice the two gauges on the co pilot side jumping up to about 2Bar boost pressure and after this the engine runs smooth. So easy to launch this truck even in a very hi gear.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #698
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
ADAC Truck-Grand-Prix - Nürburgring 2017

Had two days with the various truck race teams on the Nürburgring. The 13L Scania XPI from Zwolle was easy to get rid of the smoke without noticeable power loss and the Volvo of BlackJack racing with the D13 Volvo engine it was just fine tuning the wastegate but for our UK guests who drive B Driving a division had to do something. A particle filter gives back pressure and therefore a lot less turbo pressure, so better run without the fiter and take some fuel off where necessary, but with a little of pratice, it’s easy to adjust the engine management system.

Speed Limiter 160Kmh also works well with less than 2 seconds just over 160 for just that bit more, but 160 does not seem to be 160 with different organizations, so we chance that in the software when needed.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #699
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Just back from my holyday and seeing these pictures. Your thinking this will never happen to our Swedish hi quality build V8. Well it did happen and it ripped cylinder bank 5 to 8 clean of the engine block. Coming to any conclusion will be pure speculation for now but one thing is sure it will stop testing things on the commonrail fuel system again.
I’m very happy with the larger XPI commonrail injectors making decent power and not a lot of smoke but did not get the fuel mass needed from the hi pressure fuel pumps unable to injector more fuel mass on hi RPM due to low fuel pressure.
Hope we can jump back to a more OE spec V8 engine soon reducing the bore size and a load of other stuff as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

On the start of the run you can clearly see the ALS kicking in unit we got 2.5Bar boost pressure and it start running clean. No need to use the clutch to spool the turbochargers.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #700
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Member`s Gallery
Ouch! I enjoy the updates, keep on trucking.