E.D. 2nd Gen Swap (6.7)

TheMike

Diesel Freak
Just wanted to update on the results of this baby now that it's all broke in. Turbo spools up nice with my current mods. I'm sure it will really sing after I put in the 45% Exergy nozzles. Fuel mileage did not change that much from stock. It is winter time so we'll see. This weekend I'm making a 1500mi trip back east so that will be the test. Normal driving around town she makes between 10-20psi under med throttle. I've seen as high as 38 psi rolling into it on the highway at 60-70% throttle. Still haven't floored it to see what it's capable of...I'm sure 40-50psi. Drive pressures with this turbo are pretty much non-existant. At 35 psi of boost I saw just 21 psi DP. Overall, a solid product from E.D.

The only negative thing I have to say about the kit is the problem with dowpipe fitment. Mine needed to be extended by 7" or so because E.D. kits are designed to be installed with the manifold flipped up. I hope for any future customers they have addressed the issue.

MPG update.......

So after the 1500 mi I was pretty impressed with the performance of the turbo. For the trip I avg 19.96 MPG. Avg speeds were 70-75mph. The turbo spool was pretty much like the stock VGT. It held 5-10 psi while cruising and going up little inclines it would sing up to 15-20 pretty easily. All driving was done with tuner set to Mild (60). Not too bad for winter fuel.

Why didn't you install the manifold flipped up? I am getting ready to do 2nd gen swap on my 05, but going to install an ED 64/71/.91 turbo I have sitting on the shelf. Did you get everything you needed from ED?

Why didn't you install the manifold flipped up? I am getting ready to do 2nd gen swap on my 05, but going to install an ED 64/71/.91 turbo I have sitting on the shelf. Did you get everything you needed from ED?

I did install it flipped. That's the problem. The downpipes they send are not nearly long enough. It would work great if the manifold was not flipped but then you couldn't use their CAC tube or intake pipe. Six of this half a dozen of the other I guess. Luckily I can weld and the downpipe re-fit was not a big deal. I found the straightest part of the pipe, cut it and added approx 7" to it. I worked with Chris alot during this install and he got me setup with everthing I needed. Everything is included that you will need. I just made some suggestions for future kits. Good luck with your build and feel free to PM me if you have any issues.

Whoever sent me the PM, I apparently can't send PMs till I have a post count of 10 or greater. I usually post on the Cummins Forum so if you hit me up there I can give you the info you wanted. I have the same name on there as well.

Why did you flip your manifold, I have a 472 and it's like a second gen position and worked just fine

Just asking

Why did you flip your manifold, I have a 472 and it's like a second gen position and worked just fine

Just asking

E.D.s kit is designed to have the manifold flipped. If I didn't flip it, none of the piping would fit. Works well if you need to swap turbos quickly or add twins.

Back