Exhaust

Burner

slow poke
Why do I not see SS headers on trucks? Everything I've seen is cast? Is there a heat issue or .......:aiwebs_029:

I have seen an SS for a dodge, but there were problems with the weight of the turbo and cracking...

How do they survive on other applications? I've seen boats and plenty of fancy cars with them. Maybe a destress set is what's needed........

WOW! That flange looks like it's over a 1/2 thick! I don't recall ever seeing one that thick? Does anyone know someone or have a header like this? Also, why the equal length tubes? I wouldn't think that a Turbo Diesel really needed those kind'a pipes?

Billy....cracking is a problem? I thought that most good down pipes were SS, many are flexed.

I saw that header while it was in testing last year at Houston. When speaking to the creator of it, I mentioned that the only loss so far I would know of would be the heat loss vs a cast iron manifold. Heat is a large part of the spooling process.

I did not hear how the testing went. But the cool factor is 100%

Rich with a high vibration aircraft engine cracking is definitely a problem, as is the parts and pieces eroding from the heat. Now keep in mind that this is all really thin material as well for weight savings.

I wonder if it's a 200, 300 or 400 grade? I would guess it's 304, possibly even 316?

Billy, I guess airplanes use something in the 400? How could I find out?

David, I had heard that a fella made a set for a Duramax and actually lost power. He said the same thing....lost too much heat. :aiwebs_029:
Would a coating, like a powder coating, help retain the heat?

......is it possible to make a SS in a cast form? :bang

SS is definitely available in cast form, but the $$$$ is outrageous. I think what it boils down to is there are not enough advantages to offset the cost of production.

As for what grade aircraft is made out of I have no idea, you might be able to do some looking on replacement part seller's websites and find out. It has never really interested me that much so I just can't tell you.

Last edited:
Back