Test Drove Smarty

zukgod1

Old fart
So I test drove a Smart during lunch today.

I wasn’t as excited as I thought I would be, maybe I built it up in my mind to be more than it was…
Anyway, we loaded the #8 on there and went for a drive. Didn’t notice anything till about 2100rpm them it was really strong till about 2700 and that was it. It smoked just as much as before, I really didnt notice much more with the Smarty.
Loaded #3 in timing, fuel etc and went for another drive, now that was better for sure. Less smoke and it seemed to keep the EGT's a bit cooler for longer.

I was concerned about running the Comp box with the timing feature on the Smarty but that was the only way I could really tell a difference.
I should have tried it on #9 but time was short and the traffic was kind getting in the way.
I still wasn’t all giddy after the drive like I expected, it was fun but I’ll have a hard time spending 6 bills on it.
Not to say I’m not going to it just won’t be as soon as I had originally planned.

dan

Ya know originally I did however, I also mentioned the EGT and smoke reduction with the #3 program.
I didnt want to try anything higher with the timing added with the Comp box.
I would reallylike to try it again on the higher level with the comp off and on to compair the differance. Not the differance in the Comp/Smarty but the differance with the Smarty combined with the Comp timing.

The biggest thing that I liked was the EGT and smoke reduction, I would really liked to have tried it on a higher setting with timing but time ran out.

What would be the concern/problem with the combined timing? I would assume it would depend on the program selected.?

dan

Last edited:
If you don't have a dyno handy, get a cheap version of the G-Tech. Make sure your weight and boost is correct. I think they're 120 bucks or so. .......I have one somewhere.

ya know what though, I dont really care what a dyno says. For me it's all about the every day use. If I hook up my Jeep and head to the hills and I can run it without babysitting the EGT than I'm happy. 350hp or 600hp doesnt matter.
What I dont need or want is a truck thats fast from 0-60. Doesnt mean crap to me, fun yes usfull no.

I need to be able to use my truck and that's where the comment on the EGT and timing comes from. I noticed the Smarty kept the EGT a bit lower longer on the setting with the timing.

Thanks for the input.

dan

Did it over-ride the stock ecm defueling that occurs at 2750 rpm? I would have thought it would have pulled past 2700 as you stated above?

duke1n said:
Did it over-ride the stock ecm defueling that occurs at 2750 rpm? I would have thought it would have pulled past 2700 as you stated above?

It went right past 2700 it just didnt pull hard at that level, I have the Drag Comp so the factory ECM de fuel is gone already.

dan

I sure would be interested in test driving a smarty for a couple hours or so. Hey zukgod wsa it a dealer that let you test dirve ot or a buddy or what. I got that super 62 in my truck but it only build 35 psi if i'm lucky. Call me *********thanks skyler i got some questions

Last edited by a moderator:
mx333 said:
I sure would be interested in test driving a smarty for a couple hours or so. Hey zukgod wsa it a dealer that let you test dirve ot or a buddy or what. I got that super 62 in my truck but it only build 35 psi if i'm lucky. Call me ********** thanks skyler i got some questions

Hey Skyler, glad you came over, welcome to the Cool Board. :bigsmile:

I'll call ya on the way home tonight.

I was able to get Industrial Injection to do a demo for me, it wasnt and wont be a 2 hr test but they will load it and take you for a drive around the block .

I have some ideas on your boost as well, we can talk tonight.

dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, wan't Implying that you would do 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs. If you imput the weight and boost correctly, the G-Tech will give you RWHP. I thought you wanted the fastest thing you could get your hands on without get'n too hot or having to lift. .....I'd like the same thing but I think TWINS are our answer.

zukgod1 said:
It went right past 2700 it just didnt pull hard at that level, I have the Drag Comp so the factory ECM de fuel is gone already.

dan
Dan, the crux of my question is does the smarty over-ride defueling? Yes, a Drag Comp does this on 5x5 only. If you turn the Comp down to 4x5 does it still fuel past 2750?

duke1n said:
Dan, the crux of my question is does the smarty over-ride defueling? Yes, a Drag Comp does this on 5x5 only. If you turn the Comp down to 4x5 does it still fuel past 2750?

I think it does, I"ll try it in the morning and report. I do belive I read Bob telling someone the Smarty does remove the factory de fueling as well,

The more I think about it the more I want one (Smarty). I think I'll add head studs first however, with the added timing I dont want to be heading to MOAB and have a failure out there in the middle of nowheresville.

Head Studs, then Smarty in the mix now.

dan

Last edited:
Burner said:
Dan, wan't Implying that you would do 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs. If you imput the weight and boost correctly, the G-Tech will give you RWHP. I thought you wanted the fastest thing you could get your hands on without get'n too hot or having to lift. .....I'd like the same thing but I think TWINS are our answer.

I TOTALLY agree, I'm heading for head studs as soon as I can hide the money then a Smarty, then TWINS baby!!!!! I should be able to pull a house to MOAB then.

dan

Back