Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > John Deere
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

John Deere The Green machines

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
973604x4

Name: 973604x4
Title: aka landphil
Member`s Gallery
3 point hung up

got an 02 5205 4x4. the 3 point is stuck all the way up. When i move the lever controlling the 3point, nothing happens. No hydraulic noises or anything. Help?!

SAW 'EM OFF!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Raschein

Name: Raschein
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
John Deere Dealer would be the best bet. I havent a clue on what is wrong, might be a sheared pin, or a hydraulic valve is stuck open.. sorry i cant help.. Dustin

Engine:5.9L Turbocharged, Common-Rail, Cummins.

Power Enhancements:TST,SMARTY,EDGE EZ,RAIL CAP.

Turbocharger: HTTURBO-HTBG.

Transmission: FULL BILLET ATS, CO-PILOT.

CUSTOM PAINT BY MYSELF.

Next mods: KASB/USB TURBOCHARGER,by bell turbo,
MODDEDCP3, GLACIER FUEL SYSTEM.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
sootman

Name: sootman
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 973604x4
got an 02 5205 4x4. the 3 point is stuck all the way up. When i move the lever controlling the 3point, nothing happens. No hydraulic noises or anything. Help?!
When your truck is ready to pick up bring that tractor and I'll fix it. Probably a John Deere dealer closer ready to take your wallet though.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Usually when I'm trouble shooting a hydraulic system, first I ask them to check the linkage, make sure it's moving! Could also be a spool valve sticking. Not sure how the 5205 Deere system is configured, but our cheaper tractors in that size range are mostly internal parts, with only some linkage on the outside!

A Deere dealer would be the best bet though!
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Burner

Name: Burner
Title: slow poke
Member`s Gallery
I wonder if it'll go down with the engine off?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
973604x4

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner
I wonder if it'll go down with the engine off?
nope tried that too.

this damn thing has been problematic since day 1. It likes to eat through fuel lines really fast for some reason.

SAW 'EM OFF!

Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Burner

Member`s Gallery
I have a hammer? ............Naawh, just kidding. Can you point me to a diagram or picture? All we have at the shop are Fords.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Maybe there is a Burrito stuck in the lift cylinder??

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
sootman

Name: sootman
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 973604x4
nope tried that too.

this damn thing has been problematic since day 1. It likes to eat through fuel lines really fast for some reason.
What do you mean about the fuel lines? Do you mean at the injectors? Those stupid little orings on the injectors and crossover tubes are junk. You know what they say" Nothing runs from work like a Deere!"

Old 07-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
OneBigDoofus

Name: OneBigDoofus
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
One thing a feller might look at iis the "Rate of Drop" Valve.
You might have already checked this but I thought I'ed mention it.

Got any yound kid's around? The valve is just about the right height for a 4 year old.

If kids are not the problem then maybe trash in the system has pluged the orifice. Try cranking the "rate of drop valve" all the way in & all the way out a few times to see if it clears it's self

Hay! It's ez-enuff to make them run when there still sitting in the Dodge Carcass ,...
Get'um out and try a CONVERSION!!!!

Cummins Powered 2001 F-450 4x4 Crewcab
Cummins Powered 1987 K-3500 4X4 Crewcab
Free Peek at a Nice Pair!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
JDGnut

Name: JDGnut
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Its an easy fix.. but it could happen again.. Its all the moisture we have been getting.. is causing a very small about of rust on the valve.. causing it to stick.. I've fixed a bunch.. There is also an updated Stainless Steel valve that has been the cure.. but you can pull out the valve.. and clean it.. and it will work....
I'll try posting the instructions..
Bryan

Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
JDGnut

Name: JDGnut
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
**Paper copies of solutions may not be the most current solutions**

Complaint or Symptom :
Rockshaft is stuck in the raised position.

Problem or Situation :
The Rockshaft Control Valve has stuck as the result of corrosion on the spool inside the valve.

Solution :
To prevent the Rockshaft Control Valve from sticking, apply TY25744 grease into the Discharge Valve per the following procedures.

Tools needed:

1 - 5mm Allen key

1 - 17mm Wrench

1 - 13mm Wrench

1 - Flat Tip Screw Driver

1. Remove the seat assembly. (On the 03's its two 18mm, and you will have to slide the seat to find the hole in the seat frame to access the bolt, I have not had to do an 05.. its same valve on both tractors.)

2. Remove the three (3) M6 Allen head screws. Firmly grab tee handle and pull straight out, removing rate-of-drop valve assembly from Rockshaft Control Valve.
(They should be 5mm.)

Click the image to open in full size.

3. Remove the Discharge valve from the Control Valve body. Use of a screwdriver may be required. (The picture below shows the valve housing removed from the tractor.. I have not had to remove one.. yet..)

4. Once the Discharge valve is removed from the Control Valve body, inspect the condition of the O-rings and washers. Ensure free movement of the Poppet valve in the spool body.

5. Using a 17mm wrench, remove the Discharge Cap from the Control Valve body. (Once you take the cap off, the spring will come out. The spool will probably be stuck. You will have to push it out from the other end. If you look in the spool housing you will probably see a very small about of rust. It takes very little for it to stick.)

6. If Discharge Valve Poppet is rusty, then clean with a fine emery cloth. Clean the parts. Apply TY25744 grease into the Discharge Valve and, reassemble.

7. Install the Discharge valve into the Control Valve. Follow reverse procedure for assembly of the Control Valve.

Some of the instructions have you removing the valve housing from the tractor. (the two 13mm headed bolts.) but I have never had to remove one... yet..)

I cut and pasted some pics from various places... some from the manuals.. some from some JD solutions... (All of the pics are John Deere Reference materials, the instructions are my modified version.. )

This should get you going.. let me know if you have any problems...
Bryan

Last edited by JDGnut; 07-20-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #13
Burner

Member`s Gallery
GREAT POST! Thanks.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #14
KTA-Cummins

Name: KTA-Cummins
Title: Diesel Doctor
Member`s Gallery
Buy some silicone fuel line and put on it and never have that problem again. The mexicans deere sourced the fuel line to for the 5003/5005 series tractors make their rubber out of something that self destructs when exposed to air. We have had a bunch of them dry rot crack and go to sucking air, the rubber is cheap and it sucks, buy the silicone and forget it!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 AM   #15
973604x4

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTA-Cummins
Buy some silicone fuel line and put on it and never have that problem again. The mexicans deere sourced the fuel line to for the 5003/5005 series tractors make their rubber out of something that self destructs when exposed to air. We have had a bunch of them dry rot crack and go to sucking air, the rubber is cheap and it sucks, buy the silicone and forget it!
yea thats what keeps happening. dry rot and cracking.

JDGnut- WOW. awesome instructions. I know you emailed me about it but I just hadn't come to look til i got ready to go out to the ranch. holy damn. Thanks alot bud.

i may go out there this weekend and give it a shot....i need to get my truck first though....

SAW 'EM OFF!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #16
BgBlDodge

Name: BgBlDodge
Title: Hates hippies
Member`s Gallery
Sweet, I've been quoted.

I'm thinking our deere is a 4720 but not sure but knock on wood we haven't had any problems with it other than keeping a battery in it. In 4 years we've gone through 2 or 3 batteries, a positive cable, and a negative cable.

Tyler Williams

We have become educated beyond our intelligence. -Jerry Clower

Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
shade tree

Name: shade tree
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Thumbs up

Just a note of thanks for the repair instructions!
We had finally got some rain and I needed to bush hog, when lo and behold I find the rocker arm is stuck. I searched several other sites, more tractor related than yours and got nowhere. I had already removed the valve housing but was unsure of how to proceed. I was just about ready to load it up and take it to my mechanic when I yahooed instead of googled and found your site.
The photos were what I needed. The only thing I found upon disassembly was some rust on the rate of descent valve and the spool was stuck. I buffed well with emery cloth, greased well, and reassembled. Now I am fully operational.
I and my pocket book thank you.

Robert

Closed Thread