Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > John Deere
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

John Deere The Green machines

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
AuburnGirl

Name: AuburnGirl
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quarter Scale Tractor - CVT

I'm the captain of the 2010-2011 Auburn University Quarter Scale Tractor Team. We are looking for a CVT to use for our tractor. I was thinking a CVT from a gator might work. Any ideas?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
DieselBulldog10

Name: DieselBulldog10
Title: Rollin Heads
Member`s Gallery
I did the 1/4 scale class a few years back. We used quite a few Gator parts. Suprisingly they lasted quite well. I did 1/4 scale for Modesto Junior College. what kind of plans do you have for the tractor maybe I can help out with ideas. 4x4 or 2wd? how many engines?

The question is not how far The question is do you possess the constitution the depth of faith to go as far as is needed

Old 10-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
AuburnGirl

Member`s Gallery
Very cool! We are going with a 2WD and a 31hp engine. They became pretty strict with the engines this year. You have to choose between two 16hp engines or one 31hp. None of my team mates have ever competed (including myself), so we are kind of lost. Auburn hasn't participated in about 2-3years, so I'm wanting to do the best we can this year. We haven't done much of anything..except talk and make some decisions. We pulled the transmission out of a 1987 VW Cabriolet in hopes of using some parts..but it's definitely more complicated than we thought it would be :P

Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
War damn eagle

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
DieselBulldog10

Member`s Gallery
ya I would say keep your main focus on the weight I know in the years since I did it they dropped the weight requirement from 900 to 800lbs. Also you can gain a lot of points on the other teams if your turning capability is great and driveability is good. Its not necessarily all about the pulling side of the competition. Make sure you bring enough parts to completely make another tractor. I know the sad thing is the competition is made up of Kansas St. judges and illinois judges so they almost always win. we used 3 cvt's and ran 3 16hp briggs engines. we managed to create our own dyno and get about 18 hp out of each of them just by changing oils, putting a fuel cooler on it and modifying the intake and exhaust. I'll post a few of our tractor pics. If you have any other questions Id be glad to help. Are you allowed to cut tires anymore? that is the area where we cut a lot of weight.

The question is not how far The question is do you possess the constitution the depth of faith to go as far as is needed

Old 10-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
DieselBulldog10

Member`s Gallery
Black Pearl!

A team and X team tractors.

Me Pulling.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Goose

Name: Goose
Title: Alabama Pimpin'
Member`s Gallery
War Damn Eagle. Any events soon?
Bulletproof Diesel

COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM

R.I.P. Dex

Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
DieselBulldog10

Member`s Gallery
They usually hold the event in June. I know they held it in Peoria for a few years. I don't know about this year though. I think it is only 1 event a year but it takes about a week.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
okie18

Name: okie18
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
You got to weigh in with uncut tires, and its still in peoria.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Farmallgray

Name: Farmallgray
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
You might want to look into snowmobile clutches rather than Gators (although they may be the same). There are all kinds of aftermarket parts for sled clutches for tuning and adjusting them. You may even want to check out some sled forums. I know there are a lot of little tricks and adjustments to making them work good.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
AuburnGirl

Member`s Gallery
War Eagle!!

Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
AuburnGirl

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the advice and I like the pics! I like the name "Black Pearl"..pretty creative As far as I know we can cut tires, but like okie18 said, I think we have to weigh in with uncut tires. How did yall place in the competition?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
AuburnGirl

Member`s Gallery
Farmallgray--

Funny you mention snowmobiles...they aren't very popular here in Auburn, AL. BUT, we actually have managed to get a CVT off of a snowmobile on campus. Our hover craft team bought it for the engine, and said we can have the rest of the parts. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
DieselBulldog10

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnGirl View Post
Thanks for the advice and I like the pics! I like the name "Black Pearl"..pretty creative As far as I know we can cut tires, but like okie18 said, I think we have to weigh in with uncut tires. How did yall place in the competition?
One year we placed 9th. Seeing as we were the only Junior college in the event I thought that was quite an accomplishment. The next year we had some damage and I think we placed 14th or 15th.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
AuburnGirl

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBulldog10 View Post
One year we placed 9th. Seeing as we were the only Junior college in the event I thought that was quite an accomplishment. The next year we had some damage and I think we placed 14th or 15th.
Hey, that is pretty good! Auburn has never done very well, but I want to change that. What did you use for the frame? Tube, C-channel?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
AuburnGirl

Member`s Gallery
Also, do any of you who have competed know what they look at as far as safety is concerned?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
DieselBulldog10

Member`s Gallery
we used 1/8th inch steel and bent it ourselves. We tried to save weight any way we could. As far as safety they want all the belts covered. Wheelie bars have certain guidelines. All in all I believe you go through or so stations where they check you off and give you a sticker if all rules are followed. Once you have the stickers you are ok to compete.

Here are a few links that should answer any specific questions you have.
http://www.asabe.org/students/tracto...nRules2009.pdf
Quarter Scale Tractor

Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
AuburnGirl

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBulldog10 View Post
we used 1/8th inch steel and bent it ourselves. We tried to save weight any way we could. As far as safety they want all the belts covered. Wheelie bars have certain guidelines. All in all I believe you go through or so stations where they check you off and give you a sticker if all rules are followed. Once you have the stickers you are ok to compete.

Here are a few links that should answer any specific questions you have.
http://www.asabe.org/students/tracto...nRules2009.pdf
Quarter Scale Tractor
Okay, cool. I think we're probably going to do something like that. Thanks again for all your help!

Closed Thread