Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling > 2WD Pullers
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
shane 25

Name: shane 25
Title: pullin strokers
Member`s Gallery
newbe

i want to start pulling sleds with my dodge need advice on where to start and is this a good sport to get into

Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
kino_fab

Name: kino_fab
Title: KTPA Tech Official
Member`s Gallery
There is plenty of info on here about the sport. Just gotta look around.Most say it's not worth the effort with a 2wd, but in my own opinion its a hell of alot more fun driving a 2wd than a 4wd.

First thing to ask yourself, is this a daily driver or track only. If it's a daily driver, I wouldn't pull it. Alot of modifications need to be made just so it will hook good enough to put on a good show. Plus the stock rear axle will not hold up to much.

If your going with an all out track only truck, then here are the basics:

Find a bigger rear axle. F106, SQHD, or anything else you can find in a 2.5 ton truck. Gearing is key also. Somewhere between a 13.5-14.5 final drive ratio is where you want to be. If using a NV4500 5spd, try to find between a 4.56-4.88 rearend gear and pull 2nd gear.

Power- get as much as you can!!!

Traction bars/Ladder bars is a must for getting the truck to hook up good. Make the suspension solid with either suspension blocks or do a fully welded rear suspension with a ladder bar setup.

Weight balance is key also. Every truck is different. Usually need alot of weight on the back but every now and then some weight up front will help to keep the front end down and not loose hitch hieght, plus so you can half way steer going down the track.

There is still alot more to it than that, but alot of thing you will learn as you go.

Tech Official for:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Fireman450

Name: Fireman450
Title: Daring to be diffrent!!
Member`s Gallery
There is lots of info here. You just have to take it as generic and adapt it to fit your local rules and what your plans are for the truck both long term and short term...
Good luck
Play Toy:1994 Dodge 12V, SMOKE SHOWIN! 2WD Pulling Team. vs. 3.0 in progress. Thanks to Northeast Diesel, MUMAU DIESEL , PullTech Chassis & Fab, Cooper High Performance, SKPP, Joe Gibbs Racing/Driven Racing Oils and all my friends and family!

Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
2wpuller

Name: 2wpuller
Title: letting the smoke fly
Member`s Gallery
You guys did a good job breaking in a newbie.

Dale
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
MCS MidwestPerformanceDiesel
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
blacksm0king

Name: blacksm0king
Title: The Black Smoke King
Member`s Gallery
These guys really helped me out, I'm still just getting started, here's my thread, I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers, so skim through here, and also there are a lot of the 4x4 pulling threads that can be adapted for our 2wd's. Looking for some advice on a 2wd puller. - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
6.4 F-350

Name: 6.4 F-350
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
First I would look at the balance in your check book and be able to say, I don't need any of that $$ any way. I know that is where I am at right now. Lol

2008 F-350 Sold
Spartan AFE
1998 Dodge someday pullin truck

Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Fireman450

Name: Fireman450
Title: Daring to be diffrent!!
Member`s Gallery
Exactly ^^^^^^

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk 2
Play Toy:1994 Dodge 12V, SMOKE SHOWIN! 2WD Pulling Team. vs. 3.0 in progress. Thanks to Northeast Diesel, MUMAU DIESEL , PullTech Chassis & Fab, Cooper High Performance, SKPP, Joe Gibbs Racing/Driven Racing Oils and all my friends and family!

Closed Thread