05 swapping into an 08

This was a thread on TDR where a fellow had an ‘06 truck that someone had put an ‘06 engine in. He had all KINDS of trouble.

Need help 06 5.9 4x4 | Turbo Diesel Register

I just started reading that thread. So the input I got is I have two options.

option 1 - use all of the 05 wiring from engine to tipm, then to tipm into the fire wall, and fire wall to gauge cluster/ignition along with apps sensor.

option 2- go 07 engine harness, cowl harness, 07 ecm, 07 tipm. since 07/08 is interchangeable at the firewall. (so I've read)

So I located and purchased an 07 5.9 manual trans ecm today for a reasonable price. I just have to locate/buy a 07 5.9 tipm. I was also informed on another forum to invest in alfaobd software. Which looks very similar to forscan software I use on my fords and uses the same obd dongle. It looks like a pretty powerful software tool for a $60 purchase price. I will be able to program tipms, keys, abs modules, look at contribution rates, shut injectors off, and see more functions of the ecm,tcm and read some non CEL codes. I will be also purchasing a modified 06/07 engine harness that will still have the 3 plug injector harness so I will not have to purchase a 06/07 valve cover, gasket, and injector harness. I will try to keep this thread going with how It goes and what I have to do to get this to work correctly as possible. In case anyone else decides to go down this road. I'm currently only collecting parts for now since I'm working 850 miles away from home. I will start working on it around the end of December when I come home for 2 weeks.

I received my slightly modified 07 engine wiring harness for this project last week. I'll post up some pics of the project next week. I go home this weekend for two days then fly back to work.

Back