Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #161
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchilgy44 View Post
Its funny because that is where its heading!!
I've Said from day one there should only be three diesel truck classes. W.s, prostock, and SS.

W.s should be 1000ish short wheelbase, single tire 7k or lighter
Pros, unlimited turbo, odl and dots
SS anything goes.

Until there was enough numbers to sustain those classes at local levels all over the country we shouldn't change it

People would fuss and said my 200" long truck won't fit the w.s rules, who gives a **** buy you a $1000 truck and build a new one.

Prostock would be fine. Dots would keep the playing field even and keep things shook up.

Ss is growing now because people are tired of change and with it they know what's going to change...... Nothing

Old 12-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #162
dmigz57

Name: dmigz57
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post
I've Said from day one there should only be three diesel truck classes. W.s, prostock, and SS.

SS anything goes.

Until there was enough numbers to sustain those classes at local levels all over the country we shouldn't change it

People would fuss and said my 200" long truck won't fit the w.s rules, who gives a **** buy you a $1000 truck and build a new one.

Prostock would be fine. Dots would keep the playing field even and keep things shook up.

Ss is growing now because people are tired of change and with it they know what's going to change...... Nothing
Yeah because that would even the playing field...

Old 12-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #163
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmigz57 View Post
Yeah because that would even the playing field...
You ever tried to hook 2300hp on DOTS? Wonder why some 2.6 trucks beat some 3.0 trucks the last year of WME turbos?

Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #164
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post

SS anything goes.

One thing that would be great about this type of scenario would be the easily distinguishable visual differences from class to class... With the current PPL rules it can be hard for casual fans to tell what class is pulling...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #165
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
One thing that would be great about this type of scenario would be the easily distinguishable visual differences from class to class... With the current PPL rules it can be hard for casual fans to tell what class is pulling...
That is where I feel the 3.6 is loosing interest. I think it was mentioned before, but the visual difference between 3.6 and the SS trucks isn't much to the once or twice a year fan. The perception to the fan is important to a show. I don't think pullers take that into consideration because it is easier for them to see the differences.

With SS, 3.0 smooth, and the 2.6 smooth bore classes we wouldn't be too far from what was mentioned for classes. Minus the required turbos of course.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #166
ikeG

Name: ikeG
Title: Oughta Know Better
Member`s Gallery
I agree about the casual fan not being able to distinguish between the classes, especially the 3.6 and SS. But aren't tractors even worse ? Unless you know tire size differences in the rules, they are not easily distinguishable at all. Then they let alky and diesel pull together in certain classes.
If we relied on visual appearance to tell the difference, not many pullers would be happy. 2.6 smooth wants duals and hood stacks, which makes them look just like lim pro. Pro stock wants cuts, which makes them look same as SS. No easy way to do it without cutting back to 3 distinct classes, as mentioned.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #167
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97crewcab View Post
That is where I feel the 3.6 is loosing interest. I think it was mentioned before, but the visual difference between 3.6 and the SS trucks isn't much to the once or twice a year fan. The perception to the fan is important to a show. I don't think pullers take that into consideration because it is easier for them to see the differences.

With SS, 3.0 smooth, and the 2.6 smooth bore classes we wouldn't be too far from what was mentioned for classes. Minus the required turbos of course.

You guys forget that PPL doesn't really want a budget class(which is why want most folks want the 2.6) or a class that has 15+ trucks in it. They want folks with professional looking rigs, team uniforms etc. I do think the 3.0, 3.6 and SS are a good mix. They want the cut tires, so maybe do a 3.0 smooth with cuts and allow gutted trucks and drop the 3.6?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Last edited by zstroken; 12-17-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #168
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
You have to remember also these classes never hook at the same place except a couple times a year.

Also, We don't have anything out here but 3.6 and some brush 2.6/3.0 stuff. Promoters want the cuts on us so that's what we run.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 12-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #169
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04jimc View Post
I agree about the casual fan not being able to distinguish between the classes, especially the 3.6 and SS. But aren't tractors even worse ? Unless you know tire size differences in the rules, they are not easily distinguishable at all. Then they let alky and diesel pull together in certain classes.
If we relied on visual appearance to tell the difference, not many pullers would be happy. 2.6 smooth wants duals and hood stacks, which makes them look just like lim pro. Pro stock wants cuts, which makes them look same as SS. No easy way to do it without cutting back to 3 distinct classes, as mentioned.
I agree, I think 2.6 smooth should have bed exhaust and single wheels..

Tractor classes are boring as hell IMO. I am a puller, mechanically inclined, and I can hardly stand watching tractors, other than the crazy HP diesel classes that I don't even know the name of. Green tractor after red tractor gets old to me fast. I guess you can say that 4/5 pullers use dodges but at least everyone has a little bit of a personal distinctions between trucks.

I go to one tractor pull a year (keystone nationals) and I'd be damned if I could tell the classes apart.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 12-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #170
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
All good points. We only have 3.0/2.6 and some 2.5 out here. Nothing with cut tires on diesel.

Are the budgets of the 2.5/2.6 smooth trucks that much less than a 2.6/3.0 truck anymore?

Tractor classes can be hard to know the difference even if you are used to seeing them. Super farm and the 466 3x4 class are hard separate and there might be 25 of each in the class. Some of the light super and unlimited super classes are still confusing. They change a lot too it seems.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #171
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
You guys forget that PPL doesn't really want a budget class(which is why want most folks want the 2.6) or a class that has 15+ trucks in it. They want folks with professional looking rigs, team uniforms etc. I do think the 3.0, 3.6 and SS are a good mix. They want the cut tires, so maybe do a 3.0 smooth with cuts and allow gutted trucks and drop the 3.6?

I've never forgot that I just think people should stop using ppl rules and say the heck with it. If ts is really not going to happen this year, and if schieds was to some reason die off. ....... would people still want to go by ppl rules?

Everyone's argument is to be able to go to big pulls and if I was a betting man I would say the majority never make it to the big pulls.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #172
JakeBrakeIH

Name: JakeBrakeIH
Title: Squire
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
You have to remember also these classes never hook at the same place except a couple times a year.
Was thinking the same thing, great point!

Closed Thread