Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #101
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Huck View Post
Here is the 2016 PPL changes for 3.6 Pro-Stock Diesel Truck;
Pro-Stock Diesel Trucks

ChangeTurbo- The turbocharger is smooth faced intake housing, limited to a 3.6" inlet, (no map ring) with all air
entering through the 3.6" opening. Intake wheel must protrude 1/8th inch inside of opening.

Tires #13 add – 34-18.00-15. Bar & cut tires permitted. Maximum tire size to be 112 circumference, when inflated to 30psi with original bar, not to exceed 18 inches in width before cutting. Maximum of four tires permitted.
So the way I read it cut tires are allowed and not required. There was talk of it being a requirement for 2017.
That makes duals illegal.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 12-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #102
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
Its an add and not a replacement. So, last year you could run both.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #103
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
Just as you said, mod trucks with different turbos.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #104
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
Its an add and not a replacement. So, last year you could run both.
so this year, dot's are still allowed? cuts make that 3.6 class boring imo. maybe its just me not caring much about the sport anymore, for the same reasons as many others. but as i've heard from several other people they dont care for watching the new smooth bore classes. so coming from once pullers, guys building trucks, reconforming trucks and enthusiasts, concerns for the future. i think 3.6 will die off and 3.0 smooth with be a healthy numbered class country wide, if it stays around...

Old 12-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #105
Pudge

Name: Pudge
Member`s Gallery
My opinion, and it's just that, is that the 3.6 trucks will start making the jump to SS. Their power level seems to be much more friendly to hook up than the actual SS trucks, the pay is better for SS, and it's nationally recognized allowing them to pull on the big stages of pulling. There was more than one time this past year that several trucks went up a class and took a podium spot or finished top 5 of 20+ trucks

Old 12-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #106
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
Whatever happens next, I really hope that:

1) There is a discrepancy of classes, for example, As an event promoter, I wouldn't want regular non-pulling people coming to me asking what the difference between the classes are. To me that makes it boring. 2.5, 3.0, 3.6, and SS should all be disgustingly different. That being said, They are pretty good the way they are as far as this subject is concerned, with the exception of the 3.6 and SS trucks, those two classes are pretty similar.

2) They leave the rules alone for a while. The only way they can make the sport grow is to stop changing rules. Some people without unlimited budgets start building a truck for one set of rules and low and behold by the time they are ready to pull the rules are completely different. Pretty discouraging.

The organizations I pull with are not PPL organizations, but we really want to follow the national guys, nobody wants to pull with an organization who's rules don't allow you to compete elsewhere. At the same time no organization wants to keep changing rules and forcing us to spend a ton of money each offseason to keep up. Obviously PPL doesn't care about the non-PPL organizations, but coming from the other guys out there who one day want to come play in the "Big Leagues," Give us a fighting chance!

End rant

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 12-08-2016, 06:38 AM   #107
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstacks95 View Post

1) There is a discrepancy of classes, for example, As an event promoter, I wouldn't want regular non-pulling people coming to me asking what the difference between the classes are. To me that makes it boring. 2.5, 3.0, 3.6, and SS should all be disgustingly different. That being said, They are pretty good the way they are as far as this subject is concerned, with the exception of the 3.6 and SS trucks, those two classes are pretty similar.

2) They leave the rules alone for a while. The only way they can make the sport grow is to stop changing rules. Some people without unlimited budgets start building a truck for one set of rules and low and behold by the time they are ready to pull the rules are completely different. Pretty discouraging.

The organizations I pull with are not PPL organizations, but we really want to follow the national guys, nobody wants to pull with an organization who's rules don't allow you to compete elsewhere. At the same time no organization wants to keep changing rules and forcing us to spend a ton of money each offseason to keep up. Obviously PPL doesn't care about the non-PPL organizations, but coming from the other guys out there who one day want to come play in the "Big Leagues," Give us a fighting chance!

End rant

Old 12-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #108
rawdog

Name: rawdog
Member`s Gallery
PPL doesn't care about their own organizations. When you have certain shops giving PPL big money, who do you think is going to get their way. Its all about money from the top down. Sucks.

And well put dave

Old 12-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #109
prostockpuller

Name: prostockpuller
Member`s Gallery
So my question is....Could you run a combination of duals and cuts at the same time? I would certainly try duals in the back and cuts on the front if legal. Duals have more contact area and don't pile up tons of loose dirt in front of the pan. I think it would work well on some tracks. Fire away:

Old 12-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #110
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpuller View Post
So my question is....Could you run a combination of duals and cuts at the same time? I would certainly try duals in the back and cuts on the front if legal. Duals have more contact area and don't pile up tons of loose dirt in front of the pan. I think it would work well on some tracks. Fire away:
no sir, its one or the other, im sure if you wanted to try it out locally you can do whatever you want to please the crowd, or yourself......

jason, what you guys have going imo is the smartest thing in the entire country, hence why you have 10 competitive trucks every hook. your class will continue to grow. when you have a 40k truck with an s400 shaking things up every weekend, your doing something right, that class is solid, fun and affordable.

Last edited by TheHammer; 12-08-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #111
Briggs0130

Name: Briggs0130
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstacks95 View Post

End rant
Very well said and I couldn't agree more.

It'd be nice to see 2.5 stay single tires and bed stacks, 3.0 duals and hood stacks, 3.6 guys running cut tires. Again this is looking at pulling from a non-pullers perspective. Each class would have obvious visual differences.

and I agree it's always nice to be able to know you can travel to a larger event and still be somewhat competitive because your local rules are the same as what the national events run.

Special thanks to Caleb at Blackout Performance
https://www.youtube.com/user/Briggsy0130

2014 PPS 2.5 Champion
2015 FCTPA 2.5 Runner Up

Old 12-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #112
Richlmm

Name: Richlmm
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
PPL doesn't care about their own organizations. When you have certain shops giving PPL big money, who do you think is going to get their way. Its all about money from the top down. Sucks.

And well put dave

EXACTLY!!! and x2 david!

2001 limited pro duramax by blackout performance 2013/2014 shootout productions 2.6 points champion

Old 12-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #113
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
So word is ppl picked up 2.5 but is now 2.6 smooth bore...........

Old 12-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #114
tarter6bt

Name: tarter6bt
Title: broke ass
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post

That's what I've heard as well be nice to see a set of rules to go with.

94 dodge 3/4ton 4x4 5 spd. Built 2.5 motor

Old 12-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #115
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
which series? western or midwest?

Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #116
ComnRailPwr

Name: ComnRailPwr
Member`s Gallery
Western is what we were told. I haven't heard of Midwest adopting 2.5/2.6 smooth

Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #117
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComnRailPwr View Post
Western is what we were told. I haven't heard of Midwest adopting 2.5/2.6 smooth
That's possible. I'm unsure. Not a bright future for 3.6 if they do adopt though

Old 12-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #118
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That's possible. I'm unsure. Not a bright future for 3.6 if they do adopt though

So 3.0 will just allow gutted trucks .
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 12-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #119
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
So 3.0 will just allow gutted trucks .
Lol im in the wrong business , or maybe the wrong hobby

Old 12-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #120
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
wow, what are the rules? 1 ton, a/a, hanging weight, solid suspension?

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Closed Thread