he341 too big for 4bt?

camccardell

Looking for some good info here guys. I am hearing that it is both a good and a bad turbo for a 4bt. Turbo is off of a 05 ram truck and also has the matching intercooler as well as 3" mandrel tubes. 4" mandrel exhaust

Engine is obviously a 4bt with a VE pump and has bosch 7 x .010 injector tips.
All parts are new or reman.

Now that the info is out of the way, any input on this? I ask as I am trying to narrow down weather the turbo is my scourge or perhaps something else I cannot find.

I need a quick spooling turbo with the capability to build at least an easy 30 psi.

03 and 04 <305 HP were the only motors to have a 341. 04.5-07 325 HP have 351. 351 will not work good.

must have been an 04 then cause it says HY35w on it. Came with the big ol 4" cast elbow.

No idea what power it has right now, but I am guessing hardly any at all.
It is in a f-150
Needs to get me down the road, and right now I cannot even get up to highway speed.
I just need to know if it is the turbo that is causing me my grief.

Last edited:
It could be anything from injection timing to fuel pressure, boost leaks, air filter restriction, broken afc boost hose, or an improper throttle control device.

If it's an HY-35w, it came from an '01-'02 HO with an auto trans. But, if it has a 4" outlet and the cast 45* elbow, it'd have to be an '03 or '04 HE341.

If its an hy35 with an he 341 turbine housing there may be a turbine & housing mismatch. Does the comp cover have a 90 degree or v-band discharge? Does the turbine housing have a v-band or bolt flange discharge?

Last edited:
Either the HY35 or HE341 will be okay your engine. It will spool about the same as a stock H1C or HX30.

An HX30W will be a much better match.

the turbo has a 2.75" compressor outlet that faces the front of the truck. It is an he341, yet it says hy35 on the wastegate actuator.
The exhaust housing has a v band discharge.

Anyway, there are no leaks. Electric lift pump is set to 10 psi. No air filter restriction, and afc boost elbow is fine. Throttle cable gives me full travel on the pump. Put the wife in the cab just to verify that one.
Timing kit will be here next week, and I hope to be able to get that checked weather permitting.

But besides all this, the original question is what bugs me.
Is the he341 too big? Will a 4bt put out enough exhaust to fully maximize the potential of this turbo?
I mean do I need to keep the engine in the 3000rpm range just to keep the turbo happy, or should it build plenty of boost at around 1800rpm?

A 341 comes factory on a 250-305 HP application. Is that your goal for your 4bt? If not, you'll never be happy with a 341.

Holest's official name for the HE341 is HY35W type D, which is what it sounds like you have.

When you can't get up to speed are you billowing smoke?

If the intercooler is off of an 05 (not the same year as the turbo) it could be a leaky intercooler. Does it have plastic end caps?

Been using the hy35 on most 4bt, no unhappy customers yet!

I never liked 7 hole injectors. They may be the root of your issues. 5x14 would be better suited to the engine.

Also, slight timing mods to the pump would help get/keep you on top of the turbo.

yes the intercooler does have plastic end caps. I have sealed it off and applied 60 psi to it and have it the soapy water treatment. No leaks.

It does put out quite a bit of smoke trying to get up to speed. The 4x.012 injectors that were in there before put out even more, but they were popping too early as well.

please elaborate on pump mods/timing

You may start looking for a different intercooler, if it's not the cause of your issues now it will be soon. They don't last long above 30 psi. The heat from boost will also cause them to leak under load and may not under static, cold, pressure.

injectors just came in from the shop last week, so they are new.
boost at full bore slowly climbs to about 12. With it in 3rd, going up a hill and standing on it I can achieve 20 psi for a second or 2.

Have you had the turbo apart yet? You could try wiring the wastegate down and see what that does, your actuator may be bad, you can test with compressed air...

Back