Modifying Steering Stops..

DCSpecial

Mr. Sinister
When we lift our truck and go with taller and wider tires, we sometimes run into an issue with the tires rubbing on the leaf springs as we get close to full lock on the steering.

I know, what many will say.....just don't turn all the way. But, when you're trying not to get stuck in the mud off road or trying to manuever a tight parking lot you want to get every last bit out of the steering and often end up rubbing on the leaf springs.

I was good about it....except for off road. When I'm trying to turn in the mud, it didn't matter that I knew I should back off....I couldn't LOL

So, I decided to drill and tap the steering stops on the steering knuckles of my truck to install a bolt that would slightly limit my steering and keep my tires off of the leaf springs.

I apoligize for the poor quality of the pics....these were taken about 16 months ago with my old camera. I don't have the pics on this computer...hence hotlinking them in from my gallery on another site.

The amount your going to limit the steering is going to depend on how much your tires hit the springs.....each tire/wheel combo is going to require different lengths.

The length is going to depend on how much you need to limit the steering.....each tire/wheel combo is going to require different lengths.
534967.jpg

This is the steering stop on the knuckle (I have Dynatrac knuckles so the stock knuckle and stop may look a tad different):
534961.jpg

Here's what you'll need to do this, a drill, bit (I used a 13/64" bit), a tap (I used a 1/4-20 tap), bolts (I had two different lengths depending on how much I needed to limit it), and of course safety glasses to protect your eyes.

534959.jpg

534960.jpg

You're going to drill a hole in the steering stop:
534962.jpg

Next you're going to tap the knuckle:
534964.jpg

My 1/4-20 tap fits nicely in a 7/32" 12 point socket:
534963.jpg

As with anything you run a tap through to cut threads...be sure to go slow, running the tap in a bit and taking it back out to prevent dragging shavings through the threads you are cutting and getting the tap jammed in there.

After you tap the hole, install the bolt:
534965.jpg

And the bolt will hit first, limiting your steering:
534966.jpg

After getting my current tire/wheel combo installed I had to swap those bolts out for some standard hex head bolts. They are the perfect size to keep my tires just barely off of the springs.

Here's a current pic:
IMG_0693_Large_.JPG

IMG_0695_Large_.JPG

Some people may need to use bolts with a smaller head, or space the head out with washers.
Also, if you remove the tires to do this be sure to properly support the front end of the truck.

Hope this helps.

:Cheer:

Last edited:
For when your drilling and tapping.
I've had to take an employee to get steel out of his eye before since he was too lazy to get the safety glasses to make one more cut.....he said it hurt having it removed.....and the bill wasn't cheap :doh:
Better safe than sorry.

That and normally when I'm under the truck I get mud falling on me LOL

Thanks for the compliment on the writeup :Cheer:

steel in the eyes is not fun i know and i had glasses on but thet beside the fact
thats a good write up and i never thought of that mine go the same thing i going to have to do that

DCSpecial said:
we sometimes run into an issue with the tires rubbing

sometimes......????

:shake:

thanks for the article, good write-up. i'll get around to it one of these days... :doh:

Back